Florida Carriers -- Would you fire a warning shot?

This is a discussion on Florida Carriers -- Would you fire a warning shot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 'warning shot statute' just passed the Florida Senate today and will be going to Gov Rick Scott to be signed into law. This will ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Florida Carriers -- Would you fire a warning shot?

The 'warning shot statute' just passed the Florida Senate today and will be going to Gov Rick Scott to be signed into law. This will now make it lawful to not only draw your weapon sooner and not have to worry about brandishing, but also legal to fire a warning shot.

I can imagine that for most the way we are trained is to give no warning and that won't change. But now that it is legal, would you consider any situation where you might fire a warning shot in a safe direction before deploying full on force?

Here you can read more about it:
    Senate Passes 'Warning Shot' Bill | Sunshine State News
    oldschool58 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Not in Florida but that is a bad idea and a bad law, where oh where will that warning shot go
    WHEC724, molleur and fredg53 like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Have you checked the price and availability of ammo?

I'm not as against the idea of a warning shot as others on here may be, but I do feel this is going to cause a lot more problems then it will solve.

What goes up......
    fredg53, dangerranger and CIBMike like this.

VIP Member
    Florida attorneys are gonna get rich off of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by firerat View Post
    I'm not as against the idea of a warning shot as others on here may be, but I do feel this is going to cause a lot more problems then it will solve.

What goes up......
    I agree, there are people who have very little training and thus in a situation would give very little thought to where that warning shot to go.

One of my questions now is, can it be brought up in a self defense case that you did not try a warning shot first? I like all the other provisions of this bill, which the warning shot was only one part of.
    molleur likes this.

Just to play devils advocate.....what's the ratio between shots fired and hits? Even experienced LEO's have a high percentage of misses (from what I remember reading, my apologies if I'm incorrect). So, if you take a civilian in a high stress situation where do the majority of their misses end up?
    firerat, fredg53 and baren like this.

Spoke with my county sheriff just this week about this very legislation. He does NOT think this is a good idea. He's concerned about where that warning shot ends up. When you pull the trigger on your weapon, as we all know, you are responsible for each and every round discharged. Besides, with the cost of ammo, I am not wasting any with a warning shot.
    firerat likes this.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    I likely would not. However, a warning shot into the ground would have merit in some situations.
    The other provisions in the bill are really well thought out.

Difficulties may arise if a warning shot is not used first (courtroom). We'll have to see.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

tag
    If this passes all the way you'll hear after a self-defense shooting, "Why didn't you fire a warning shot first?"

This is a BS law championed by the same groups fighting Florida's stand-your-ground law.
    ginzo and CIBMike like this.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

I would not. But like the poster above me said, hopefully not using one won't work against you.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
    Just to play devils advocate.....what's the ratio between shots fired and hits? Even experienced LEO's have a high percentage of misses (from what I remember reading, my apologies if I'm incorrect). So, if you take a civilian in a high stress situation where do the majority of their misses end up?
    FYI I think the percetage hits by LEO's is about 25%. So for a civilian that % is going to drop precipituosly
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outshooting View Post
    I would not. But like the poster above me said, hopefully not using one won't work against you.
    I suspect it will. The correct reply is "I was in immediate fear for my life and did not have time for a warning shot".
    Paladin3840, ginzo and CIBMike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I suspect it will. The correct reply is "I was in immediate fear for my life and did not have time for a warning shot".

Yea unfortunately its just another thing to remember in the round that follows after successfully defending yourself.
    molleur likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I could see a warning shot going into the dirt possibly helping. But.... not enough to want to test that theory.
    molleur and dangerranger like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links