brandishing

brandishing

This is a discussion on brandishing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are magazines (e.g. Combat Handguns) which feature columns about readers’ adventures in which they drew their gun to discourage the unwanted attentions of another ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: brandishing

brandishing

There are magazines (e.g. Combat Handguns) which feature columns about readers’ adventures in which they drew their gun to discourage the unwanted attentions of another party, the latter sometimes running like a scalded dog when they see the gun. [I sometimes wonder if the stories have been verified.] However, the instructor who taught my CC class, over and over, insisted “Don’t show the gun unless you PLAN to shoot it.” At the time I shook my head in agreement, but I am having second thoughts. Certainly I don’t want to brandish the thing like a John Wayne wannabe, yet he seemed to imply that if I cannot run away myself, there are only two possible outcomes: I shoot the guy, or else he goes away without seeing the weapon. Isn’t there something to be said for deterrence?.
    Isn’t there any middle ground?..Such as saying, “Don’t make me pull this out of my pocket,” whereupon I pull the gun barely out of my pocket, after which [hopefully] he goes away. What if it's some punk kids who are looking to have some fun with me, but seem willing to get really physical about it?

These stories people submit to the magazine seem to usually end with the bad guy being discouraged, and no one getting shot. That’s a really good way to end.

ON the other hand, if a jury decides that just allowing someone to passively see the gun is assault, you are stuck. If it's an Illinois or California jury, you're maybe REALLY stuck.
    When I planned getting the CC permit I had thought it would be such a good deterrent that I could at least use it to discourage unwanted attentions. Now I am having second thoughts about what to do.

Are there any instructors out there who want to pitch in on this? Do you agree with, “Never show them gun?”

VIP Member
    Your instructor's advice is sound. Planning on shooting doesn't necessarily mean you have to shoot, just that you are willing to if the threat doesn't stop.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    What Mike1956 said.
    Ghost1958, mook012 and Mike1956 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    All depends... a couple of summers ago early one Sunday morning I'm drying off my 4Runner when I see the only other car wash patron standing bolt upright against the wall of the wash bay looking scared to death. Some low life that I had been watching was standing inches away in what looked like a very antimated very one sided conversation. They stood 25 yards away from me so I couldn't hear the conversation but like I said I had been watching this guy, he was at a car wash with out a car!
    Looked like a panhandler by his actions, he was clean cut enough, dress was normal not shabby but this 20 something young guy he had cornered looked plenty scared.

I stoped what I was doing & just watched what was unfolding, the panhandler guy sees me watching him so he breaks off his conversation with young guy scans the car wash and starts walking my way, I reach my toweld hand as far as I can over my roof, this raises my shrit exposing my cocked & locked Goverment Model Colt 1911. I glance over my shoulder & panhandler guy makes a very quick 90 degree turn and walked away even quicker! I tracked him visually until he was out of sight ... a good quarter mile he kept his head down and just kept going.
    The young guy rolled out of the car wash as soon as panhandler guy started my way.

Panhandler guy was someone I knew would not call the law and report me for "brandishing"! I would bet money he had a warrent or three out on him.

I really did not think I would have to pull down on this guy, and call the law to report I might have seen a panhandler at work?
    Cops have real work to do.
    Low life criminal types arent going to get an honest joe in trouble for brandishing. Why draw the attenion of the law to themselfs.

I have another story and its scary and I will probaly never tell it..... but I was "brandishing" that day and my family & I went home safe.....and no one got shot and no one brought brandishing charges on me .....
    Oreste likes this.

If you have to draw your gun and the threat stops, you are good. Call 9-1-1 and report it immediately so you are on record. You don't want the other person to make you the bad guy after the fact.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Moderator
    Certainly I don’t want to brandish the thing like a John Wayne wannabe
    If you display a gun because you fear for your life...it is not "brandishing".

Brandishing is showing a gun in a threatening manner where the use of lethal force would be unwarranted.

If you feel the need to draw, and the thug decides not to play and runs away...so much the better. Your gun did its job without having to shoot...and it doesn't get any better than that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you are able to only show the gun, then you are not in immediate danger, some states look at that as a crime.. In my state I am only allowed to use my weapon to defend myself from a life threatening situation. Brandishing a weapon when there is no imminent threat could land you in a bad situation
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    If you are able to only show the gun, then you are not in immediate danger, some states look at that as a crime.. In my state I am only allowed to use my weapon to defend myself from a life threatening situation. Brandishing a weapon when there is no imminent threat could land you in a bad situation
    According to who? If the act of reaching stops the threat, there is no need to draw.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Brandish a gun to a 'Gangsta' - like he is going to call a cop?

brandishing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    According to who? If the act of reaching stops the threat, there is no need to draw.
    Again.. If there is not a life threatening situation then it's brandishing. Do you show your gun in all altercations?
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Your instructor was correct. If the situation has reached a point where you present a firearm, by definition it must also have reached a point where you can legally fire it. If the laws of your state do not allow you to fire your weapon in the situation you face, don't present it. It is part of any sound firearms instruction. The "middle ground" hypotheticals you offered as suggestions are not sound tactics and should be avoided.

VIP Member
    Again.. If there is not a life threatening situation then it's brandishing. Do you show your gun in all altercations?
    If the threat to life stops before the gun is actually drawn, it is over.
    Rotorflyr likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If the threat to life stops before the gun is actually drawn, it is over.
    I am not certain what you are referring to.. Thugs show guns to intimidate.. I am not a thug but if you do that.. Good for you

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    I am not certain what you are referring to.. Thugs show guns to intimidate.. I am not a thug but if you do that.. Good for you
    Sorry for having confused you.
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    “Don’t show the gun unless you PLAN to shoot it.” <~~~~ Doggoneit do I ever HATE that piece of total crap misinformation.

If you display or unholster your weapon because you honestly believe that you might need to use it to end a dealy threat and then end up not needing to use it BECAUSE...the deadly threat is VIOLA! ~ no longer a threat...then thank your lucky stars because you just saved yourself a pile of legal fees and a ton of worry, hassle, and life aggravation in general.
    That is not brandishing.
    And even if in the unlikely event that it was considered brandishing.
    Take the doggone understandable misdemeanor over an Attorney General decision of justified or not-justified Homicide and possible Criminal & guaranteed Civil courtroom stints.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links