Flashlight in the Hand

This is a discussion on Flashlight in the Hand within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Flashlight in the Hand Avoiding the Profile Individual/Deterring the Profile Individual/Dominating the Profile Individual “The flashlight in the hand” philosophy is the tactic of carrying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Flashlight in the Hand

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

Flashlight in the Hand

Flashlight in the Hand

Avoiding the Profile Individual/Deterring the Profile Individual/Dominating the Profile Individual

“The flashlight in the hand” philosophy is the tactic of carrying a small, powerful, tactical flashlight in your non-dominant hand whenever you are in a risky area after the sun has gone down. Whether you are walking the dog, exercising, or making a run down to the grocery store/Wal-Mart, if you are going to be in a public place after sundown, it is the tactic of always carrying your flashlight in your hand.

The main reason for you to do this is because the vast majority of the times that you may need your flashlight, in a self-defense situation, if it is not already in your hand you will most likely never get it into your hand. The number one reason for carrying a flashlight is for making the identification (ID) of the hands and the waistbands for weapons, since our visual acuity is cut in half in low light. It is the hands that kill and the waistband is where bad guys (BG) usually keep their weapons. The number two reason for carrying a flashlight is to disrupt the vision of the adversary. A bright light in the eyes not only disrupts the adversaries vision but it allows the good guy (GG) to work behind a wall of light. When the adversary can no longer see you, that causes doubt and uncertainty. This uncertainty may be all that you need to deter an attack.

A flashlight is not necessarily a fighting tool. I do not need the flashlight to make the hits. It is much more valuable as a physical deterrent (BG cannot see GG) and a visual disruptor (BG’s vision is 5% of what it was just a second before.) If you need to fight with the light on you are creating a constant focal point to attack. If you can disrupt that adversaries vision, turn the light out and move, there is no focal point to follow, there is only blinded bewilderment! Even if they recover, you can take their vision again. We have all heard “A flashlight is a bullet magnet” but this does not have to be the case if you “see what you need to see” and “blind as you need to blind” then turn the flashlight out. If you remove the constant focal point the liabilities of the bullet/knife/club magnet decrease. It is the lessons of when to use the flashlight and when not to use the flashlight that are the most valuable of the lessons. Being able to shoot with the flashlight in conjunction with the gun is mildly interesting, that is entry-level knowledge. Knowing when to blind, when to turn the flashlight off, when and where to move, and when to turn the light back on is the advanced knowledge. This knowledge is not possible without thorough testing inside of low light FOF and from both sides of the coin. You have to be both the GG and the BG to learn the lessons as they need to be learned. The reality is that all of this knowledge is useless if your flashlight is at home, in your car, or even in your pocket. If it is not in your hand when you spot the profile individual, it will probably never make it into your hand.

The term “profile individual” (PI) speak for itself. This has nothing to do with race or sex. Trouble and danger comes in all races and in both sex. Trouble and danger has a very distinct look and feel, if you have been around the block a couple of times, you know what I am talking about. If you cannot recognize trouble and danger you may just need to be removed from the gene pool. Recognizing trouble and danger starts with profiling. Forget about all of those politically correct idiots out there and let’s get down to the bottom line. If you do not profile you are a fool! There is a very low danger level from a well-groomed man in an expensive business suit or an elderly couple taking a walk in a park. But there is a higher danger level from groups of urban youths, especially in bad parts of town or where poverty is rampant. This is all just common sense here.

If you are out at night, doing whatever it is that you have to do, and you see a PI that is going to cross your path here is a very quick overview of how to handle the PI.

Profile; It always starts with profiling!We must profile who is in our general vicinity while we are out after sun down. BG use the cloak of darkness to hide themselves and to hide their intent. Without profiling everything else that follows is worthless. Making the ID on a PI is the first piece of your back story. Back story is very important stuff, nothing happens inside of a vacuum. Collecting and building good pieces of back story allows you to build the information to facilitate making the decisions that you are going to have to make. The more pieces, the better the back story, the better the back story the quicker you will be able to work through your OODA loop. If you make a PI and he has orientated to you, the next thing that you need to do is as follows.

Avoid; Make a directional change to your movement and begin looking for other players. Choose a direction that will require the PI to reorient to you. If there is no re-orientation, that is a good thing, but keep your eye out for any other players/accomplice’s along with the original PI. If the PI reorients to you, you have just succeeded in forcing the BG to show you his hand. You have created the second piece of the back story to further facilitate your decision-making process. You now know the BG is keying on you. There are not coincidences! In low light you cannot allow the BG to close ground on you. You must stop his ingress! Here are some basic concepts to help stop the BG from closing ground you. The next two thing listed may need to be put into action simultaneously, but they are set down in order of importance.

Command; With a commanding voice and in conjunction with a flashlight in the PI eye’s order them to “Back off!” In low light, with a quality flashlight the PI will see nothing but the light. You will have disappeared to him and all he will see is the source of the light and you will be cloaked behind a wall of light. If the first “Back off!” and blinding does not work, that is the third and another huge piece of the back story. Give them one last chance (the fourth piece of the back story) and get louder and more “street.” Sometimes the street only understands “street”………“BACK THE (expletive) OFF! While the commands and flashlights are being used you will most likely want to doing two other things simultaneously.

Move/Monitor; It is my opinion that you should mitigate the urge to stop and square up to your adversary. I feel that you should keep moving in order to disrupt the adversaries ability to begin working through his OODA loop. By continuing to move you take away the adversaries ability to take a snap shot of the battlefield which is very important to developing a plan of attack. As you command/blind/move you should again monitor the area for any other accomplices. Since you are hidden behind a wall of light to your primary adversary, you should be able to look around quickly for other players, without the primary adversary even knowing that you have taken your eyes off of him. If the PI is still reorienting to you, you probably have enough back story (fifth piece) to articulate reasonable fear. Some people feel that they need to ID the weapon, but FOF training has proven that action beats reaction. If you are unable to ID that something is very wrong, with all of the back story that has taken place, you may be deep into the very worse of positions…….denial! This is where all of your training comes to the forefront. This is where you find out if “your line in the sand” has been thought through well enough. This is where all of your “what if” mental preparation has really prepared you well enough. This is where you find out about the reliability of your gut feeling, and your ability to act on it. This is where it gets as personal as anything that you have ever dealt with.

If in your mind you can articulate that it is go time, then it is on.

If the threat or weapon has been identified that leads us to the next phase of the fight.

Access; When the line in the sand has been crossed, keep moving, access your weapon, and get to work. It is time to fight with everything you have. Accessing your weapon, from concealed carry, with a flashlight in your hand is a skill set that you must own. There are two methods that you need to know, the one hand draw stroke (circular flagged thumb) and the clearing of the garment with the flashlight hand (three digit crab claw.) Which one you use is situational and user dependent. This draw stoke from concealment is the most likely thing that you are going to blow, your “flashlight in the hand” draw stroke needs to be to the point that you have it down cold while moving. With these two draw stroke methods you have the option of keeping the flashlight in the eyes or turning if off. Either way, the adversaries vision is going to be extremely limited. If you keep the light on and draw, everything that you do is cloaked by the wall of light, but the direction and pace of your movement can be tracked through the visual connection to the light source. If you turn the light out, you cannot be tracked periodically, but the adversaries vision will eventually return. Of course you can always give him another blast of light and take it away again. Once you have accessed the weapon and driven it to the focal point it is time to take care of business.

Negate; Negate the threat with fast and accurate hits while either hiding behind the wall of light or under the cloak of blinded darkness. I cannot possibly express how important it is to have the “double edge sword” knowledge and experience of fighting from both sides of this confrontation. Without this firsthand knowledge and experience, you have no clue of the true dynamics of the fight and the power and the limitations of the “flashlight in the hand” philosophy. Experience leads to confidence, confidence leads to absolute knowledge, absolute knowledge leads to total domination. This is where you want to be, anything short of that means that you have not put in the work and you are not as ready as you think are. Fighting at night is a skill set that can only be obtained through proper preparation to prevent piss poor performance. If you have not put in the time……face that fact for the fact that it is. Reading this article is simply not going to get it done!

Once the primary adversary has been negated and determined out of the fight it is time to move on to the next progression.

Scan; BG’s tend to travel in packs. Just because you did not make any accomplices early on does not mean that there are none. You are going to need to scan 360 degrees to make sure that there are no other players that may need your attention. Scanning may best be done while moving to a place of cover or tactical advantage. Whether you scan with your flashlight or not depends on the ambient light and the presence of darkened areas. Remember the rule of thumb, “if you are in the dark, stay in the dark, if you are in the light, light up the dark.” Once you have verified that there are not other players to engage and verified that the primary has not reanimated it is time to move onto the next step of the progression.

Reload; Now that there is a lull in the fight it is time to top off your gun. If we accept the fact that “if the flashlight is not in your hand at the start of the fight, it will not make it into the hand” philosophy then it would seem wise to be able to load your gun without stowing your flashlight. The “three digit crab claw” allows for a “reload with retention” all while keeping the flashlight in your hand. If you are concerned about the effects of the adrenaline dump, you can stow the flashlight for your reload. Either way, get that gun topped off.

Evaluate; The next step is a medical evaluation of yourself. Since the fight is still not guaranteed to be over I would try to mitigate lighting yourself up or putting away the flashlight. The “three digit crab claw” can still feel the body for wet spots. Another option is to shove the flashlight in between the pinkie and ring finger of the gun hand, bezel up (consistency across categories) A quick lighting of the ground for blood droplets may be acceptable. If you find a wet spot in the groin area, you are going to have to ID the color of the fluid. If you find yourself to be ok medically, it is time to proceed to the next step.

Proceed/Police; Due to the fact that there are some places that if you do not get the heck out of there immediately , you could be fighting the whole neighborhood. It is not always as clear as “call the police and wait for them.” Sometimes you are going to have to get the heck out of there, then call the police and arrange to meet them somewhere. Unfortunately, it can be even worse than that.

Much of this information has been around for a very long time. I have just put my spin on it from within the “flashlight in the hand” philosophy. If we look at these ten things that we need to do to make it through dealing with a profile individual, it may look like it is next to impossible to remember. Using a mnemonic device, to help aid this philosophy into being easier to remember, is a very good idea. Most mnemonic devices are a little cheesy, but easy to remember…..this one is no different.

PACMANSREP

Pacmans rep was, if you were smart enough and fast enough you could succeed in life and avoid all of the goblins. From the very start of the encounter……and all the way through the encounter, If you can remember this cheesy little mnemonic device, you can avoid the profile individual, deter the profile individual, and dominate the profile individual.

Flashlight in the Hand | Fight Focused Concepts

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Excellent tutorial. Many points I had not considered. Thanks very much for the info.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

CZD
    Thanks. Great info.

D

VIP Member
    Excellent article and a lot of useful information. I've often walked at night carrying a small spring-assisted knife (closed) in my weak hand. Based on this article, I plan to carry my flashlight.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Are you putting a book together with these techniques and insights?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

VIP Member
    Great points. My flashlight is in my weak-sight hand whenever outside at night.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Tactical flashlight in each bedroom on nightstand, in bookcase at bottom of staircase, and one on standby. Excellent article and very valuable info.

GREAT article, thanks for sharing! Just to clarify and obviously bigger is better, but is there a minimum lumens you could recommend to have on hand?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHancock View Post
    GREAT article, thanks for sharing! Just to clarify and obviously bigger is better, but is there a minimum lumens you could recommend to have on hand?
    Mine is a 330 lumen SureFire.
    Tuco

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    Are you putting a book together with these techniques and insights?
    The short answer is "yes, eventually."

The long answer is that I already have a book out but it is not being published any longer due to a recent business separation. I am slowly revising/editing all of my old writings and writing more material. As it stands, I am using my blog to put up these writings in order to keep my momentum as an Instructor. At the recent business separation all of my past writings were deleted, so I felt that it was necessary to slowly get them all back out there.

Eventually, after the the work has been put in, I will publish another book.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    The short answer is "yes, eventually."

The long answer is that I already have a book out but it is not being published any longer due to a recent business separation. I am slowly revising/editing all of my old writings and writing more material. As it stands, I am using my blog to put up these writings in order to keep my momentum as an Instructor. At the recent business separation all of my past writings were deleted, so I felt that it was necessary to slowly get them all back out there.

Eventually, after the the work has been put in, I will publish another book.
    Sorry to hear about the separation difficulties.
    Tuco

I am torn between a light and not filling both hands. The need to open a gate or a car door or a house door with both hands full is troublesome. I have a very large Oring on my sure fire clip so I can put it through my social finger and let the light go to reload or open doors etc. I don't own a rail gun but maybe that is the answer. Just don't want both hands full maybe I need therapy .

Having a small tactical flashlight in my weak side hand--prior to needing it--is something that I had not considered.

I will be trying this out. Thanks very much for the well reasoned discussion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I am torn between a light and not filling both hands. The need to open a gate or a car door or a house door with both hands full is troublesome. I have a very large Oring on my sure fire clip so I can put it through my social finger and let the light go to reload or open doors etc. I don't own a rail gun but maybe that is the answer. Just don't want both hands full maybe I need therapy .
    I like a lanyard on my light just for that.
    manolito likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links