Visiting New Orleans Area

This is a discussion on Visiting New Orleans Area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm visiting the New Orleans area and I'm wanting to know if the Pontchartrain Convention Center in Kenner is a firearm-free zone? Also, any places ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Visiting New Orleans Area

I'm visiting the New Orleans area and I'm wanting to know if the Pontchartrain Convention Center in Kenner is a firearm-free zone? Also, any places in the French Quarter that prohibit firearms? Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Brought to you by S&W M&P Shield 9mm, Holstered by Alien Gear

One of the best places for you to check is Handgunlaw.us, a very good research tool.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Actually I've been to the Pontchartrain Center in Kenner, they have a gun show there on occasion. For the gun shows they typically have a LEO at the ticket counter zip typing guns. I've never been there for any other event, though I don't remember seeing any signs at the entrance regarding guns either way?

Here's their link, I skimmed through it and didn't see any "rules", but that doesn't mean much. Home - The Pontchartrain Center

Regarding places in the FQ: NOPD is not known for their gun-friendly attitude. As a rule of thumb, definitely don't CC in a place (like a bar) that allows smoking. Also there is some current legislative debate regarding the interpretation of the law and CC in restaurants that serve alcohol, until this is cleared up, to be on the safe side, I wouldn't do that either. I've gone to NO and the FQ for years, hardly had any "trouble" whatsoever, it's an interesting place to go, but DO NOT be out there late. Rarely does anything serious happen during the daylight, even the evening is okay, though I'm off the street before 10 pm. Most of the "bad stuff" will happen very late, so I'm not there. Don't go out in the fringe areas, stay on the beaten path where others are. It's a good idea to walk with a group if you get on a side street after dark. Most of the really bad shootings and murders are in the really bad parts of town.

Enjoy the sights, the food, and the history. BTW, don't take a bet on "where ya got dem shoes", or any other street bet, it's just a means to part you from your money.

From the Louisiana State Police website on prohibited locations and duties of permittees.

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

•A law enforcement office, station, or building;

•A detention facility, prison, or jail;

•A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;

•A polling place;

•A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;

•The state capitol building;

•Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;

•Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)

•A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

•Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

•Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Duties of Permittees
    The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1.Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;

2.Submit to a pat down;

3.Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:

1.The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;

2.The permittee's blood test or urine test shows the confirmed presence of a CDS as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964;

3.The permittee refuses to submit to a department certified chemical test when requested to do so by a law enforcement officer.

R.S. 40:1379.3(L) provides that anyone who carries and conceals a handgun in violation of any provision of this Section, unless authorized to do so by another provision of the law, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

R.S. 40:1379.3(C)(1) requires the making of a sworn application to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections. The providing of false or misleading information on the application or any documents submitted with the application shall be grounds for the denial or revocation of a concealed handgun permit. The application shall reflect training in pistols, revolvers, or both. Any permittee under this Section shall notify the department of any address or name change within thirty days of the change. Failure to timely notify the department of a name or address change may result in suspension of the permit for up to thirty days.

R.S. 40:1379.3(R)(1) requires each permittee, within fifteen days of a misdemeanor or a felony arrest, other than a minor traffic violation, in this state or any other state, shall notify the deputy secretary of public safety services by certified mail. The deputy secretary may suspend, for up to ninety days, the permit of any permittee who fails to meet the notification requirements of this Section.

R.S. 40:1379.3(F)(1) mandates that the deputy secretary shall revoke the permit if at any time during the permit period the permittee fails to satisfy any one of the qualification requirements provided for in Subsection C of R.S. 40:1379.3.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for the info guys. Yep, didnt notice any firearm free zone sign at PCC.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The only thing I remember about New Orleans was during my training in the '80's. You go in somewhere, they asked if you were armed, and if not, they gave you a weapon...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

If you plan on going in any restaurants, I'd avoid carrying. I felt 100% safe in the French quarter during the day. I took the streetcar back to my rental house before dark.

Enjoy Nawlins, I know I did!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Actually I've been to the Pontchartrain Center in Kenner, they have a gun show there on occasion. For the gun shows they typically have a LEO at the ticket counter zip typing guns. I've never been there for any other event, though I don't remember seeing any signs at the entrance regarding guns either way?

Here's their link, I skimmed through it and didn't see any "rules", but that doesn't mean much. Home - The Pontchartrain Center

Regarding places in the FQ: NOPD is not known for their gun-friendly attitude. As a rule of thumb, definitely don't CC in a place (like a bar) that allows smoking. Also there is some current legislative debate regarding the interpretation of the law and CC in restaurants that serve alcohol, until this is cleared up, to be on the safe side, I wouldn't do that either. I've gone to NO and the FQ for years, hardly had any "trouble" whatsoever, it's an interesting place to go, but DO NOT be out there late. Rarely does anything serious happen during the daylight, even the evening is okay, though I'm off the street before 10 pm. Most of the "bad stuff" will happen very late, so I'm not there. Don't go out in the fringe areas, stay on the beaten path where others are. It's a good idea to walk with a group if you get on a side street after dark. Most of the really bad shootings and murders are in the really bad parts of town.

Enjoy the sights, the food, and the history. BTW, don't take a bet on "where ya got dem shoes", or any other street bet, it's just a means to part you from your money.

From the Louisiana State Police website on prohibited locations and duties of permittees.

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

•A law enforcement office, station, or building;

•A detention facility, prison, or jail;

•A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;

•A polling place;

•A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;

•The state capitol building;

•Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;

•Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)

•A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

•Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

•Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Duties of Permittees
    The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1.Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;

2.Submit to a pat down;

3.Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:

1.The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;

2.The permittee's blood test or urine test shows the confirmed presence of a CDS as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964;

3.The permittee refuses to submit to a department certified chemical test when requested to do so by a law enforcement officer.

R.S. 40:1379.3(L) provides that anyone who carries and conceals a handgun in violation of any provision of this Section, unless authorized to do so by another provision of the law, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

R.S. 40:1379.3(C)(1) requires the making of a sworn application to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections. The providing of false or misleading information on the application or any documents submitted with the application shall be grounds for the denial or revocation of a concealed handgun permit. The application shall reflect training in pistols, revolvers, or both. Any permittee under this Section shall notify the department of any address or name change within thirty days of the change. Failure to timely notify the department of a name or address change may result in suspension of the permit for up to thirty days.

R.S. 40:1379.3(R)(1) requires each permittee, within fifteen days of a misdemeanor or a felony arrest, other than a minor traffic violation, in this state or any other state, shall notify the deputy secretary of public safety services by certified mail. The deputy secretary may suspend, for up to ninety days, the permit of any permittee who fails to meet the notification requirements of this Section.

R.S. 40:1379.3(F)(1) mandates that the deputy secretary shall revoke the permit if at any time during the permit period the permittee fails to satisfy any one of the qualification requirements provided for in Subsection C of R.S. 40:1379.3.
    I think this is a very comprehensive list of do's and don'ts for visiting New Orleans. The "NOT TOO LATE" rule is most important. Travel in a group (or at least not alone) is a good one, too. Law says no carry in a restaurant that gets more than 1/2 its revenue from alcohol. That's the part that is in contention. The AG has made his own interpretation that carry in ANY restaurant that serves ANY alcohol is a no-no. It's technically not the law, but do YOU want to be the test case ...? Be safe.
    gatorbait51 and ppkheat like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Hmm, how is the general public suppose to know the sale split between food and alcohol? Suppose I could ask the manager, but then he/she would be curious as to why I asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    I think this is a very comprehensive list of do's and don'ts for visiting New Orleans. The "NOT TOO LATE" rule is most important. Travel in a group (or at least not alone) is a good one, too. Law says no carry in a restaurant that gets more than 1/2 its revenue from alcohol. That's the part that is in contention. The AG has made his own interpretation that carry in ANY restaurant that serves ANY alcohol is a no-no. It's technically not the law, but do YOU want to be the test case ...? Be safe.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

No one should know you are carrying....it is concealed carry. Generally, if they detect the gun, you will probably be asked by a LEO to leave and have to answer a ton of questions and show your documentation....Personally, I do not feel it is safe anyplace in New Orleans, any time of day or night not to carry. I live in the area and I avoid it at all cost....Have Fun and Be Safe and Alert...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfmonkey View Post
    No one should know you are carrying....it is concealed carry. Generally, if they detect the gun, you will probably be asked by a LEO to leave and have to answer a ton of questions and show your documentation....Personally, I do not feel it is safe anyplace in New Orleans, any time of day or night not to carry. I live in the area and I avoid it at all cost....Have Fun and Be Safe and Alert...
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

I live about 90 minutes away, and the mother in law lived there until Katrina. We still visit fairly often. Enjoy yourself! It's like a foreign country in some fascinating ways. The music and food are unique and wonderful. I was listening to the local radio station announcing live acts yesterday. A Thursday... And they read off 50 different bands playing at different clubs.

If you want to have the best meal of your life, try Commanders Palace. You'll pay a lot, but it will be worth it. Or, you can find great food at hundreds of other small places for much much less money.

As far as safety goes, the tourist areas are fine during the day and evening. Late night the darker spots aren't safe for one or two people. Don't go walking Pirates Alley at 3am. Don't go into the projects, or stroll St. Bernard Avenue.

Rule of thumb... If there are at least a dozen drunken Midwesterners within sight, you should be fine.
    goldshellback likes this.
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

Quote Originally Posted by BARFO View Post
    Hmm, how is the general public suppose to know the sale split between food and alcohol? Suppose I could ask the manager, but then he/she would be curious as to why I asked.
    That's the rub. The law STATES you can't carry in any restaurant that derives more than 1/2 its revenue from alcohol (think a place children can't get into). Under 1/2 is OK -- Chili's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc. But our AG, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that NO restaurant is OK to CC for even off-duty LEO! We're trying to get them to clear it up and (hopefully) let CC be allowed in restaurants (ALL restaurants would be good!) with less than 50% alcohol sales. Fingers crossed but for now you gotta be careful.
    goldshellback likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I remember the first time I went to New Orleans. It was 1989 I was off duty LEO, and had my badge and gun, but hadn't carried. I approached a NOPD sergeant and asked him if they frowned upon vacationing out of state LEO's carrying. He gave me a look like I was from another planet and said, "well son, you brought yo' gun didntcha? and you got yo' badge, right?"

I answered yes to both, and his reply was, "son, you're in the Big Nasty, you better carry it!" He gave me his business card just in case, and he assured me they believed in professional courtesy to other LEO's. He later set me up with a lieutenant, who allowed me to ride along in the 8th district, which is the downtown/French Quarter area. It was a blast!

After retiring, I moved to New Orleans, and became a hospital officer and NOPD special. (hence my user name) I have since moved home, but that place gets in your blood. Just be careful and heed the warnings in the other posts, and you should be fine.

NOPD gets a bad rap, but honestly, most are great. Just don't disrespect them or be obnoxious. Most tourists who get arrested get that way by talking themselves into it. And whatever you do, don't pee in the streets! That is a pet peeve that will send you straight to Central Lockup, which isn't pleasant!
    ppkheat and goldshellback like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    I remember the first time I went to New Orleans. It was 1989 I was off duty LEO, and had my badge and gun, but hadn't carried. I approached a NOPD sergeant and asked him if they frowned upon vacationing out of state LEO's carrying. He gave me a look like I was from another planet and said, "well son, you brought yo' gun didntcha? and you got yo' badge, right?"

I answered yes to both, and his reply was, "son, you're in the Big Nasty, you better carry it!" He gave me his business card just in case, and he assured me they believed in professional courtesy to other LEO's. He later set me up with a lieutenant, who allowed me to ride along in the 8th district, which is the downtown/French Quarter area. It was a blast!

After retiring, I moved to New Orleans, and became a hospital officer and NOPD special. (hence my user name) I have since moved home, but that place gets in your blood. Just be careful and heed the warnings in the other posts, and you should be fine.

NOPD gets a bad rap, but honestly, most are great. Just don't disrespect them or be obnoxious. Most tourists who get arrested get that way by talking themselves into it. And whatever you do, don't pee in the streets! That is a pet peeve that will send you straight to Central Lockup, which isn't pleasant!
    That's why I always wear diapers when ever I visit N'awlins.
    Crescentstar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post

My first visit as a LEO was in 1991, and I had almost the same conversation.

And, yes, peeing in public is a GUARANTEED arrest. See the last season of Treme for a NSFW explanation. I won't even try to allude to it here.
    Crescentstar likes this.
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links