Work Carry Method

Work Carry Method

This is a discussion on Work Carry Method within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 19 IWB pretty much all the time that I am not working. Currently I am a cook, a job which involves ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Work Carry Method

Work Carry Method

I carry a Glock 19 IWB pretty much all the time that I am not working. Currently I am a cook, a job which involves lots of bending stooping etc with an apron on. This makes printing almost inevitable. Therefore I do not carry 95% of the time at work (only when I open the restaurant alone). I am getting a G26 to have a smaller CC gun. I was thinking about ankle carrying it. I know that it is not a very assessible method particularly in extreme close quarters combat. Luckily my H2H is trained from several years of Ving Tsun, and there are knives all over the kitchen to use if the need should arise.

What do you folks think? Does anyone have a similar kind of job who carries?

Also, I should mention getting a gun that is more concealable is not an option, I trust my life to a Glock and I am going to roll with it. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, a pocket 380 could allow me toget some rounds moving until I could manuever to a covered or concealed position, where I could access the Glock from my ankle. I know SD engagements are usually very quick though....Thoughts anyone?

I tried an ankle holster for a while with a tiny mouse gun and felt like I had an anchor strapped to me. I suppose I maybe could have gotten used to it over time. I do have a cop friend that ankle carries a G27, so I guess it's feasible. It wouldn't be the fastest draw, as you point out, but it would be better than being unarmed.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Given the cook's role (movements, tasks, the food/oil mess), I'm assuming the apron would make for a challenging draw from the belt line, and the environment would be a messy spot to have a sidearm. Sounds like in your situation that ankle carry might be the best spot.

Check the Alessi ankle holsters, if considering going that direction.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Pocket carry a snubbie imo.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I worked at my Nephew's Coffee Shop for Three Years. I was armed every day. A Snub was (and still is) always in my pocket and a Snub is always in my waist band. I had a T-Shirt with the Shop logo out side the pants every day. If you can't dress to hide in the waist, you could still carry in your pocket. I don't think a G26 would be good in the pocket but if you shop around you should find what will work for you.

VIP Member
    My most concealable, least-printing set-up is a low-riding IWB with a 20-degree forward cant positioned at 3:00. I have four different double-stackers I carry at that position: a full-sized M&P (17 round mag), a chopped Glock 17 and a Glock 19 (15 round) and a M&P9c, with either a pinky-extended 12-round or flush 12-round mag. I don't carry a sub-compact Glock. The M&P9c literally vanishes, even at a toe-touching bend, with the flush magazine inserted. Regardless of which one I am carrying, my spare mags are always 17-rounders.
    Ankle carry is something I have never considered for a variety of reasons.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I also do a lot of bending over at work and like you printing is not a option. I've tried Glock 26, XD Subcompact's in IWB's , ankle,and pocket holsters. I still haven't found a holster that works real good. I didn't trust any of the mini 9mm's I tried. I also didn't want to change guns but I did. Most days S&W 642 left front pocket Ruger LCR aiwb. If just pocket carrying LCR to right front pocket. And a snubbie and some speed strips plus maybe a speed loader is better than a10-15rd. 9mm in the car.

Pocket carry snub wheel gun or one of the million tiny .380 and/or 9mm options out there gets my vote.

Ankle holsters don't jive with me but you may have better luck.

I couldn't imagine trying to IWB carry in a kitchen, especially if wearing chefs pants. They'd be around my ankles.

Thanks for the replies and insight everyone. Lots to consider. Wheelgun eh? Seems like a decent option. Not a fan of the .380 cartridge so the wheelgun beats that option for sure.

3:00 will not work for me the way my body is structured, combined with the fact that I will be working in very tight quarters with other folks who may bump my gun.

I'm going to think about it during my vacation in Shenandoah.

Again, I appreciate the advice.
    Last edited by eugenius; April 5th, 2014 at 09:10 AM.

3Speed Holster is a DEEP CONCEAL system. For your work situation, this might help out.

tcbrad98 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

I wish I could carry at work...

The government doesn't trust me enough to carry a gun on the military base I work at, even though I'm a licensed CCW holder in the entire rest of the state. No big deal, they say they'll let me carry someday but only if it's an M4 rifle and I'm in the middle of some godforsaken third world hell hole fighting whomever they want me to fight. But when I'm on their base in the USA, I can't be trusted with my own personal sidearm to defend myself against whoever manages to get on to the post, which only requires a driver's license to gain access to. I guess it's for the children, or something. No worries, the post is a "gun free zone" so really there isn't a need to CCW at all.... right??

Sorry, feeling just a little bit jaded right now...

You might try carrying off body. If your always in the kitchen it could be adventagous to stash a full sized gun is a readily handy place. Being in a resturant IMO makes the business an attractive soft target. This is one of those times I dont recomend a smaller more convenient gun. Being in the kitchen would probably mean that you'd have a heads up if disaster should strike.

I'd also recomend that you and the owners come up with a plan of action in case of a problem. Maybe a danger signal or word. keep in mind as well that many business as well as home robberies and invasions are to some degree an inside job. Keeping the location of the gun, money, and signals confidential is a must.

Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

Work Carry Method

I ankle carry a 26 everyday, my best friend is a chef and ankle carries his 26 everyday. The secret is getting a good holster ($60+) I use Desantis Apache, Galco ankle glove is another great one. You have to get the calf strap, I helps take the weight to your calf. I also carry 2 Magazines on the other ankle, kinda like carrying 2 buckets opposed to one, I my opinion easier. Tricks the brain, both legs have the same amount of weight.

My buddy and I both have Clipdraw added to the guns. I normally carry a G19 IWB, but he carries with clipdraw into the restaurant, holsters in ankle for shift, then carries clip draw out of restaurant. His most vulnerable times he has the gun at his waist, then on ankle for deep concealment.
    The downside of ankle is slow on the draw and you have to be stationary to draw (preferably behind cover). It is better than not being armed. My buddy wears Black Crocks, black Socks. So if his pant leg lifts up a little, it blends with the black holster

What about under your chef's hat?

Ok, seriously, I would try pocked carry before ankle carry, but if ankle carry is all you can do, then do it. It is definitely faster to access than the gun that is at home...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I weld , run forklift , carry heavy steel everything while i carry a M & P .40 iwb with a shtf holster . I do it all day no issues . I did this from the start so i don't have any problems and i am very used to doing it .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links