Gun metal/holster clipes eating through your clothes

This is a discussion on Gun metal/holster clipes eating through your clothes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my shirt, my Shield sights made two nice little holes that exactly match the profile of the rear sight. This happened over the course ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gun metal/holster clipes eating through your clothes

VIP Member

Gun metal/holster clipes eating through your clothes

In my shirt, my Shield sights made two nice little holes that exactly match the profile of the rear sight. This happened over the course of this morning. Now I have to "melt" my rear Shield sight.

This is the second shirt I've ruined from carrying concealed. A clip on an IWB holster cut through another shirt - I've taken to cutting down the clip ends and applying duct tape to the clip ends.

How many of you have experienced similar problems, and what are your solutions?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't use metal clips.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Never had that heppen, i also use 1 billion different holsters depending on what i am wearing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

I've lined a metal clip on one of my holsters with mole skin (weird, right) from CVS to protect my belt as the sharp steel clip would eat away at the belt's finish. I don't use that holster anymore, but the mole skin worked well as a temp solution.

I'm sure the same could be applied to the outside of the clip to protect your shirt. Maybe some black or brown sharpie to make it match your belt.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

To this point I have had no issues with the setup I have. A suggestion might be to use plastic clips rather than metal.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

ALL of my frequently worn t-shirts eventually develop little holes from my sights. Every spring I buy new t-shirts. It's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Never had any problems from my MTAC in over a year of EDC with it. I like the plastic clips they use and the clips can be purchased in different colors.
    wesnellans likes this.

My wife has the same problem. She carries in a belly band and the shield has very sharp sights especially on the inner edges. It has put small holes in many of her shirts. DON'T MELT THEM, they are actually metal sights. I used some emery cloth to work and sand off some of the sharp edges. It takes a bit of work. Otherwise if you are considering night sights at all, look at some with a softer edge. Big dots might be good as the rear sight has less sharp angles. If you decide to remove shield sights yourself do so e research there is a detent with spring under the rear sight that you need to handle carefully.

I have not had a problem with the metal clips from mine yet. But, I wear (finally) a 5.11 Nylon tactical belt and have not seen any wear pattern. I also use very baggy shirts.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Same symptoms OP but no solution. If you carry IWB with clips, it's going to happen (especially at 10-2.) Comes with the territory.

Ironic that you posted this. I noticed a hole over where I carry yesterday and was wondering how that happened seeing how the shirt is almost brand new. I know am going to look and see if it could have been caused by the sight of my gun.

VIP Member
    I don't use the metal clips, but if I did I would dip the ends in this. eliminating the problem you have.

075815116031lg.jpg
    PEF and dangerranger like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_FIN View Post
    My wife has the same problem. She carries in a belly band and the shield has very sharp sights especially on the inner edges. It has put small holes in many of her shirts. DON'T MELT THEM, they are actually metal sights. I used some emery cloth to work and sand off some of the sharp edges. It takes a bit of work. Otherwise if you are considering night sights at all, look at some with a softer edge. Big dots might be good as the rear sight has less sharp angles. If you decide to remove shield sights yourself do so e research there is a detent with spring under the rear sight that you need to handle carefully.
    Yep, that's what I meant - "melt" as in removing the rough edges.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    In my shirt, my Shield sights made two nice little holes that exactly match the profile of the rear sight. This happened over the course of this morning. Now I have to "melt" my rear Shield sight.

This is the second shirt I've ruined from carrying concealed. A clip on an IWB holster cut through another shirt - I've taken to cutting down the clip ends and applying duct tape to the clip ends.

How many of you have experienced similar problems, and what are your solutions?
    Buy a good gun and holster :)

Wow! And here I thought the holes in my shirts were from my cats' claws! Now I have a whole new issue to wory about!!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links