A Carry Experiment

A Carry Experiment

This is a discussion on A Carry Experiment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, went out to a tourist-type destination with a crime factor in the "probably not" category. Decided to carry the SR22 in a Yaqui slide ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A Carry Experiment

A Carry Experiment

Yesterday, went out to a tourist-type destination with a crime factor in the "probably not" category. Decided to carry the SR22 in a Yaqui slide holster:

I did the extended magazine follower upgrade, so that's 11 in the mag and one in chamber, CCI Stinger hollowpoints. Performance out of the gun shown here:

As this is a highly reliable and accurate firearm, I didn't feel underarmed. No, I don't carry this gun often at all. Either I'll bring 9mm or .38 spl to the table, so this was just a take-her-to-the-dance situation, but it was an easy carry and "forget it's there" kind of deal. Still, in the event I'd needed a firearm, it was OK knowing I had 12 rounds on my hip at 4 o'clock. Not recommended, but this something you could do.

Update: Looks like some people didn't read all the above. DO NOT CARRY .22LR as a defensive platform. THIS WAS JUST FOR FUN. DO NOT DO THIS. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by shockwave; April 6th, 2014 at 03:53 PM.
    darbo likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

No problems if you feel this is a good SD firearm. However, I'm not a big fan of down-sizing just because it's a "probably not" category area.

http://http://crimeblog.dallasnews.c...n-square.html/
    cn262, shockwave, Bad Bob and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    No problems if you feel this is a good SD firearm. However, I'm not a big fan of down-sizing just because it's a "probably not" category area.
    I agree with NH_Esau. I personally believe that Murphy's Law takes over when you're convinced that something is extremely unlikely.

It was interesting to see so much penetration. The lack of expansion was not a surprise given the low energy. So, it would definitely be better than nothing in a self-defense scenario, but even with the rifle not something I would would intentionally use for self-defense. As an aside, I had been considering a NAA .22 mag revolver as a potential pocket pistol (sort of last resort defensive weapon), but given the drop in effectiveness from the rifle to your SR22 it makes me wonder if the NAA would do much at all.

Distinguished Member
    It's definitely a nice gun but I couldn't feel comfortable with it. I need a little more size.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Your link doesn't work, NH_Esau, but I'd consider anywhere in Dallas to be a "high-crime" area and wouldn't carry anything under .38 special in that city.

Where I am in Florida, there are three considerations to make: 1. Place. 2. Time. 3. Event. You can add these up and decide what your threat level is likely to be. We all know that danger can present itself anywhere, any time. There is no "safe" situation, such that you can operate reasonably in condition White. Bad things happen to good people all the time.

Nevertheless, I'll bring 18 rounds of 9mm if my journey is to the bad side of town. But if I'm going to the opera, hanging out with the tuxedo-clad set, then the LC9 is probably sufficient firepower given ease of carry and concealability. I would not advocate that anybody carry a .22 for defense. It's way underpowered and a rimfire cartridge is just too wonky to bet your life on it. This was, as described, an experiment in carry.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    I agree with NH_Esau. I personally believe that Murphy's Law takes over when you're convinced that something is extremely unlikely.
    Definitely agree. I think we all have those "probably so" places -- that part of town that if you go there at 11pm ever night for a week, something will happen one of those nights. But I think the plethora of news stories you read every single day show that there isn't a "probably not" place. Ultimately, I don't think there is a reason to "downsize" carry based on threat likelihood, only the demands of your quality of concealment (i.e. deep concealment to OC spectrum).
    Ghost1958 likes this.

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, go for it. I carry a 5" 1911 and a spare magazine. When I want to get wild and crazy, I go to a Glock G20 SF 10mm with Buffalo Bore ammo and two fifteen round spare magazines.
    molleur, denclaste and Bad Bob like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    The only downsizing that I do is to occasionally carry a Ruger snubby .357 in place of a full sized 1911.
    denclaste and Bad Bob like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Millions of people live their lives never carrying a self defense weapon. Nothing is proven because someone uses sound judgement and avoided high risk situations. The caliber on your hip should have zero impact on the decision to put your safety at risk.

The video asks, "What do you think?" I think the data has settled that the .22lr is not an effective defensive round. There are zero reasons to accept the compromises of volunteering a SR22 into a defensive role.

I think you did a hell of a good job on your video. And people who carry smaller center fire caliber under the theory that multiple hits or burst fire are the way to go should convert.

I carry a 22 rifle in my truck. Personally, I think a 22, in the right hands, is going to get the job done.

What is it that the ol timers back in my childhood days knew that we haven't yet figured out? They used a 22 for everything from a bedside gun to a hunter, to a varmint defender.

I believe that in the right hands with a proper method or tactics of application, a 22 is hard to beat.

Oh, and your bullets out of the handgun didn't expand because of velocity. Might as well just load it with solids.
    shockwave, grouse, OldVet and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think you did a hell of a good job on your video. And people who carry smaller center fire caliber under the theory that multiple hits or burst fire are the way to go should convert.

I carry a 22 rifle in my truck. Personally, I think a 22, in the right hands, is going to get the job done.

What is it that the ol timers back in my childhood days knew that we haven't yet figured out? They used a 22 for everything from a bedside gun to a hunter, to a varmint defender.

I believe that in the right hands with a proper method or tactics of application, a 22 is hard to beat.

Oh, and your bullets out of the handgun didn't expand because of velocity. Might as well just load it with solids.
    This is coming from a man who recently has said the 9mm round is for plinking and varmit control? Bizarro World.
    Harryball likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Millions of people live their lives never carrying a self defense weapon. Nothing is proven because someone uses sound judgement and avoided high risk situations. The caliber on your hip should have zero impact on the decision to put your safety at risk.

The video asks, "What do you think?" I think the data has settled that the .22lr is not an effective defensive round. There are zero reasons to accept the compromises of volunteering a SR22 into a defensive role.
    Agreed. The .22 is a very deadly round, but a poor effective attack stopper. Better than a rolled up newspaper, though.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I don't like experimenting with my safety.

If you feel comfortable with a .22 though, that's all that matters.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Better armed with something than nothing. The only time I had reliable .22 expansion was hunting ground squirrels in WA. Used to bore out the hollow point with a hand-turned drill bit and make an X on the tip with a knife. Explosive on the little varmints, but you could hear the bullet whistle downrange.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would not feel comfortable with a 22RF as my primary EDC. If I carry its my 10mm 1911's. If its comfortable to you so be it. I know that the 22RF can be deadly in the right hands but I still prefer a more substantial round. I love my Buckmarks but not for serious carry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links