Taking second Idaho CCW class

This is a discussion on Taking second Idaho CCW class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm taking my second Idaho CCW Class in the last year. I took the first one and two months later they implimented the Enhanced Permit ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By trayzor
  • 1 Post By D_FIN
  • 1 Post By Spudboy66
  • 2 Post By Strabo

Thread: Taking second Idaho CCW class

I'm taking my second Idaho CCW Class in the last year. I took the first one and two months later they implimented the Enhanced Permit in an effort to get more recipency with other states. They've been able to add some states and somehow lost some states. In addition they are starting to pass laws that allow for enhanced conceal carry in places where previously it was not allowed at all, which is good. My concern is they may start making changes to existing law that disallow conceal carry unless you have the enhanced permit. So I'm taking the class again. My first class met all the basis requirements of the new enhanced permit minus the 99 rounds at the range. We only did 50.

Good luck. I do not like the tiered permit system, but it does put an end to some of the PFZs. IMO it is just another tax on your ability to Carry.....Let us know how it turns out....
    rutcrazed likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't understand the tiered permit system either. I guess ID is okay with issuing half- or fully qualified permit carriers. I suppose if I saw the curriculum I night have a better idea, but all or nothing seems a simpler concept. Each state to its own though, no federal involvement needed.

Make the best of your class, OP!
    archer51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I was a bit torn with my opinion on the requirements for a CCL in Idaho. There is no "class requirement" for the basic CCL. If you can prove to your local sheriffs office you can handle a firearm you can get a license. I chose to take the first class for my own benefit. And it helps with getting a non-residence permit in other states. The new law requires an 8 hour class with a lawyer / Post Certified Instructor and 99 round of ammo shot.

VIP Member
    What the enhanced permit does is it gets you some adjoining States, most importantly Washington and Nevada, and also meets the requirements so you may apply to get an out of state permit for Oregon. It also allows for concealed carry on College campus beginning 1 July of this year.

All of this is important because in Boise you are 44 miles from Oregon to the west and Nevada 100 miles to the south and to go to any part west in the southern tier you must pass through both of those States (100's of miles of desert) and in the northern tier, Washington and numerous public roads and greenbelt trails pass through the middle of Boise State property.
    Spudboy66 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Ex Member
    I read these and THANK GOD I am a Indiana resident. We are a SHALL ISSUE State and everyone who can legally apply can get a lifetime permit for $125.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I read these and THANK GOD I am a Indiana resident. We are a SHALL ISSUE State and everyone who can legally apply can get a lifetime permit for $125.
    As long as you don't leave Indiana I guess you are fine. Little good it would do out west as Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, and Nebraska do not honor Indiana's permit. Yet, Idaho's enhanced carry permit is honored by those States and if you live out here and travel out here, it is worth every penny of the cost.

I believe you missed the point of getting the enhanced permit.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Concur. I was hesitant at first, spending another $150 for a permit I already have. When I first got to Idaho I took a NRA class, 12 hours, attorney, 100 rounds at range. It is not transferable for the new permit as it was prior to the new law this past year. Oh well! I take the Enhanced class April 27th. To me it's worth it as I travel a lot thru Oregon, Nevada, Washington, etc...
    Chorizo likes this.
    ...T. Ray

Idaho is shall issue as well and open carry is allowed without a permit. Overall it is rated as one the best states for gun ownership and carry. I doubt the OP is in much danger of losing any current carry options Judy because of the new enhanced carry option. Anyone who is not restricted from gun ownership can get a CCW the enhanced permit adds firearms proficiency training. It is about and 8 hr class with range time. This makes it more compatible with some other states that require proficiency and more extensive training like Nevada. I am in Utah and want to take the ID enhanced specifically for Nevada carry. I had an opportunity a couple months ago but the timing was bad for me.
    Chorizo likes this.

My main reason for taking the Enhanced Class is to get the reciprocity from surrounding states. I hope more states will be added. Oregon does not offer reciprocity to any state so my next adventure will be making the short trip west to obtain a non-resident license.
    Chorizo likes this.

I live in Washington (SE corner), but we frequently travel to ID and OR. We (my wife and I) intend to get the enhanced ID permit so we can get an OR and UT permit, which will get us reciprocity in a couple of dozen states.
    Chorizo and Spudboy66 like this.

VIP Member
    With Oregon, Arizona and Idaho enhanced, I have every western state except for the Soviet Republic of Kalifornia.

The Idaho enhanced permit adds Nevada and Washington over the basic permit, worth every bit of time, energy and money to get an enhanced permit.

These guys are offering a discount price course https://www.facebook.com/FMTtraining Forward Movement Training, in Meridian, ID.

In the Women's Only Self Defense Course photos my Wife and Daughter are pictured. Great place, great training and they can tailor classes and times to work for you.

Links