Funny conversation at Bass Pro tonight...

This is a discussion on Funny conversation at Bass Pro tonight... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went out with the wife and kids tonight and my 18 year old wanted to go by Bass Pro to look at some fishing gear. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Funny conversation at Bass Pro tonight...

Went out with the wife and kids tonight and my 18 year old wanted to go by Bass Pro to look at some fishing gear. My wife and I never wanting to miss a chance to go oogle guns and gear agreed right away and all the kids were happy about going. So off we went.

Let me preface this by saysing, I was carrying my G26 in a Foxx hybrid holster, with a tucked in polo shirt concealing it. My wife, was carrying her XD 40 sub compact in another Foxx hybrid with an untucked blouse concealed her gun.

While my son was drooling over fishing gear, my daughter was looking at clothes, my other 3 sons were looking at all kinds of stuff, my wife and I were over by the guns section looking to see what they had and how over priced everything was. We over heard a sales guy telling a young lady about the features of the Glock 42, the new .380 single stack from Glock. She was wondering out loud about the fact that the gun didn't hold much ammo. The sales guy was saying that the next option up was the G26 in 9mm but it is much harder to carry concealed without it being noticeable.

Upon hearing that I, without thinking, said "That isn't true at all. The G26 is very easily concealable."

Sales guy smirks and says "Sir, I've been doing this a long time now. I can tell when someone is trying to conceal a big old double stack Glock."

My answer to idiotic remark, "Did you see mine there Eagle Eye?"..............blank stare from sales dude.

I point to the kydex clips holding the holster in place that blend in well with the black belt I was wearing. And I say, "Big old double stack Glock, 26."

The lady says "Oooh. Nice." and turns to my wife and asks if she carries too and they start talking. Sales dude didn't have any real come back. So I start talking to the lady as well. She is asking about the process for getting a TN HCP and I tell her I used to teach the course but no longer do but I giver her the name and number of the best pace in the Memphis area to get the training and fill her in on what it costs and all. She asks sales dude to see a Gen 4 G26 and she really likes it, better than the 42. She liked the 10 round mag and when I told her it would accept a G19 or G17 mag as well, and she could carry the larger mag as a reload she really liked that. My wife tells her in a quiet voice so sales dude wouldn't hear that the LGS we told her about could order the G26 for her for roughly $75 to $100 less than Bass Pro and she really liked that.

The kids were getting hungry by this time and we decided to go get dinner. My wife gave her our names and cell numbers and told her to give us a call if she wants to talk any more. She turns to sales dude and hands the Gen 4 G26 back and says thanks. I'll think about it. He's kind of looking at me, so I shrug and we walk off.

I like Bass Pro but they over price their guns and a lot of their sales people strike me as the mall ninja type. Anyway, might have made a new friend and pointed someone in the right direction as far as getting their HCP goes. Not a bad night really.
    LenS, CLASS3NH, Calvito and 22 others like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I know there was more to that story but as a new parent all I heard was "While my son was drooling over fishing gear, my daughter was looking at clothes, my other 3 sons were looking at all kinds of stuff..." Holy Crap! Five Kids?! Yikes. I only have one and I feel like I will never get any sleep again. I can't imagine five

After the first one, and once you learn what works and what doesn't, it's a breeze. If we had the money and time we would probably have 12 kids. I love being a Dad and my wife is the best mother I know.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I like that, it reminds me of the ones who say a full size 1911 is far too massive and heavy to carry concealed. Then I like to lift my shirttail and say I have not had a problem with such a massive and heavy a weapon.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; April 7th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    LenS, CLASS3NH, manolito and 8 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You provided a novice with experenced advise and deserve a pat on the back for being her mentor. Acts like this help by showing the beginner that there is help available from others in the gun world.
    Since I see you are a fellow Tennesseean, "ya done good".

Well done sir, we need as many ambassadors as we can get.

Sometimes I avoid the gun counter at big box stores because I generally can't keep my mouth shut when I hear dumb stuff. Drives me crazy. And while I have heard the G42 is lighter recoil than most, small .380's are not my first recommendation for a new shooter. They are usually a handful when they go off.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I hope you told her go shoot one before buying. I also carry a g26 but the wife hates it, it hurts her hand to shoot it. She didn't have as much trouble with a friends g19 but she fell love when she shot a friends shield and ended up with that.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

I've had similar experiences. One salesman said the HK P30 was a little big for CCW til I lifted up my shirt to demonstrate that I indeed carried not only my P30S but a spare mag and flashlight. Another said he hadn't seen an IWB rig for any HK so I did the same thing.
    Dabster likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Good to see you posting again Mike.

Couple of weeks ago I had been to Walmart checking on .22 ammo. They didn't have any, but had a whole shelf full of Federal .40 cal. for about $25 per box of 50, no limit on number of boxes. Stopped at Dick's to see if they might have some.22. They didn't, but a guy was there looking for .40 ammo. Salesman said he had some. Same Federal ammo, 3 box limit and it was $45. per box of 50. I told the guy, in front of the sales bandit that the Walmart 2 miles up the road had plenty in stock, no limit and $20. cheaper. If looks could kill, I'd be dead right now. Guy thanked me and made a dash for decently priced ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    What he should have said was that the G26 was a little harder to conceal than the G42 but can still be done.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oromis View Post
    I know there was more to that story but as a new parent all I heard was "While my son was drooling over fishing gear, my daughter was looking at clothes, my other 3 sons were looking at all kinds of stuff..." Holy Crap! Five Kids?! Yikes. I only have one and I feel like I will never get any sleep again. I can't imagine five
    It just confirms what I have known for a long time...parents with large broods prefer Glocks.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

"Gun store owners HATE him"
    BuffaloRider, TN_Mike and firerat like this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    After the first one, and once you learn what works and what doesn't, it's a breeze. If we had the money and time we would probably have 12 kids. I love being a Dad and my wife is the best mother I know.
    We had 6 boys and if money grew on trees would have had 6 more! DR

It's all about the carry rig the gun is in. I've hidden a 6 1/2 S&W Model 29 before and people haven't noticed it. (I'm a larger frame guy but it's all about HOW the gun is carried)
    You can hide (conceal) almost anything, if it's utilizing the right holster.
    357and40, OD* and TN_Mike like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links