Wisconsin now honors Illinois' CCL!

This is a discussion on Wisconsin now honors Illinois' CCL! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a post on Facebook about WI now recognizing IL's CCl, but you know about what you read on the internet. So, I did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wisconsin now honors Illinois' CCL!

I saw a post on Facebook about WI now recognizing IL's CCl, but you know about what you read on the internet. So, I did some snooping and found this on the official WI DOJ site. Great news!

Reciprocity | Wisconsin Department of Justice :: Attorney General J. B. Van Hollen
    SteelerFan likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Fantastic! I'll be traveling there much more and this will make it easier.

Yeah, I grew up just south of the Wisconsin border and have a bunch of family and friends back there still on both sides of the border. It'll be nice not to have to get a Utah permit just to cross over and see some folks!
    SteelerFan likes this.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

I just got done taking the UT CCW class to "get" WI....but there are others states I needed as well so it wasn't a total loss. I have my IL CCW and now that WI honors it...I don't have to wait the 60 plus days for the UT CCW to come in!

Great news!
    DJC7 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sometimes things get better and better.
    SteelerFan likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

With how stringent IL is with their requirements, I expect many more states to start accepting their permit. All of you are welcome up here!
    Beretta PX4 9mm full size
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380

VIP Member
    Should be a two way street, I need to carry in IL. hope they work it out.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I've heard that out of state permits can carry in their vehicles in IL but haven't been able to confirm it. Anyone got a link?

As a Wisc. resident its nice to know my CC permit will allow me to visit Ill. without issues.

Distinguished Member
    Great news for the newly freed citizens of Ill.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
    I've heard that out of state permits can carry in their vehicles in IL but haven't been able to confirm it. Anyone got a link?
    https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx

430 ILCS 66/40

Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)
    fizzle likes this.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeal View Post
    As a Wisc. resident its nice to know my CC permit will allow me to visit Ill. without issues.
    BigDeal, just to clarify, this allows Illinois citizens to carry in WI, not the other way around. As a WI resident, you can carry in IL ONLY inside your vehicle. If you get out of your car you need to leave your firearm with it. I don't want you getting arrested! (If your post was sarcastic and I completely missed it then disregard this post. lol)
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Sorry BigDeal, but you CANT CC in Illinois. As of this time they are only honoring their CC permits and demand that you spend the money to get their non-resident permit. Someday that may change but don't hold your breath. You can carry in your vehicle just don't step outside of your vehicle if you are CCing.

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    Sorry BigDeal, but you CANT CC in Illinois. As of this time they are only honoring their CC permits and demand that you spend the money to get their non-resident permit. Someday that may change but don't hold your breath. You can carry in your vehicle just don't step outside of your vehicle if you are CCing.
    Now now...he can step outside of the vehicle to show his approval. I think this falls under the full moon clause. Both the vehicle and its perimeter are considered safe heaven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links