Military training in place of NRA class in Westchester County, New York

This is a discussion on Military training in place of NRA class in Westchester County, New York within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently went to the County Clerk to pick up my pistol permit application, and while I was there, I asked the woman behind the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Check_Mate
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Military training in place of NRA class in Westchester County, New York

Military training in place of NRA class in Westchester County, New York

I recently went to the County Clerk to pick up my pistol permit application, and while I was there, I asked the woman behind the desk if being in the military would help me out at all, as it's kind of a pain to get a pistol permit in my county, and even more so to get your full carry permit. Anyways, she told me that I wouldn't have to take the NRA class because of that, but I haven't been able to find where it says that anywhere. If anyone could shed some light on whether this is true or not, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Read your state laws on handgun training requirements. FL accepts military training on your DD-214.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My wife and I have had concealed carry permits in three different states. They all accepted my retired Army ID. They also would have accepted a DD-214. My wife had to take the courses, so I attended with her. I figure it was a refresher course and you can always learn something new.
    OldVet and molleur like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    That may be true, but I would take it anyway.

The vast majority of the Missouri class and it's emphasis is on the Missouri concealed carry laws, and the statutes concerning the lawful use of force. I actually thought it was extremely informative and a good use of time. Just knowing how to use the firearm is not nearly good enough, which is why that is emphasized less than when it is legal to do so.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Check_Mate View Post
    I recently went to the County Clerk to pick up my pistol permit application, and while I was there, I asked the woman behind the desk if being in the military would help me out at all, as it's kind of a pain to get a pistol permit in my county, and even more so to get your full carry permit. Anyways, she told me that I wouldn't have to take the NRA class because of that, but I haven't been able to find where it says that anywhere. If anyone could shed some light on whether this is true or not, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
    If the NY class covers any of the peculiarities of NYS law or gives any information on when use of force is justified in NY, you will miss that and should research those things on your own.

Good luck

BTW - Welcome to the forum!
    molleur likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

This can be found in NYS Penal Code 400

Article 400 Penal Law - Licensing Provisions Relating to Firearms

(i) persons who are honorably discharged from the United States army, navy, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of New York, and produce
    evidence of official qualification in firearms during the term of service are not required to have completed those hours of a firearms safety course pertaining to the safe use, carrying, possession, maintenance and storage of a firearm
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "not required to have completed those hours of a firearms safety course pertaining to the safe use, carrying, possession, maintenance and storage of a firearm "

So it sounds (?) as if the course is "X" hours, 4 of which are dedicated to the about, you would not have to attend those hours. But if the class includes CC law, etc. you would have to attend that portion--Maybe? Might as well attend get it all.
    molleur likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

NY just requires a basic firearms safety course.. many places offer 4 hours plus range time and applications for the UTAH non-resident since NYS permits are not accepted by any other state.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

In Ohio your DD214 is good to get a CCWP. There are time limits. We found Customers would come in our Shop, new permit in hand, fresh out of the Military, and not know any of the laws. Make sure you learn the Laws of the States you will be carrying in.

Links