Have you ever been in a life threatening gun-related scenario?

This is a discussion on Have you ever been in a life threatening gun-related scenario? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if some of you want to share your stories of where you needed to draw your gun, life was threatened, had to protect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Have you ever been in a life threatening gun-related scenario?

Have you ever been in a life threatening gun-related scenario?

Just wondering if some of you want to share your stories of where you needed to draw your gun, life was threatened, had to protect your family etc; whether you had to fire or not, how you felt, and what happened. Did things slow down? speed up? did your heart race to 150 bpm?

...If you feel comfortable sharing, that is.

I don't have any...yet.

2. Remove Ads

"I don't have any...yet." I certainly hope you NEVER have any. It's is nothing like television.

Twice as a law enforcement officer...none as a retired officer...once off-duty and the second on-duty...I won't give details, but let me explain I can recall each as if it occurred yesterday...every small detail...I could still write a report concerning the scenes and my actions as well as others during both eventts. The first occurred in February of 1978 and the second in November of 1985. The first was in daylight about 5PM and the second at midnight.

My hearing was attenuated during the shootings, I had no tunnel vision as I had practiced against such, my heart rate accelerated, breathing increased, and of course, the huge adrenaline dump lasted for quite sometime. Time slowed for me...I can still see the cartridge cases being ejected from the 1911 .45 and the eight bullet strikes on the windshield of the car which I used for cover. Yes, the robber could shoot very well....maybe ex-military as Vietnam has only been over for three years.
    BritishAgent and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yep, as a teen. Beat a guy drag racing and for some reason he didn't take it too kindly. Long story short, he stuck a 1911 in my face. The size of that bore convinced me that a .45 is really better than a 9mm. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

What surprised me was how calm I was. Sometimes you just don't have time to be scared. While my mind said things un-printable here, my mouth only told him "You don't want to do this." He didn't shoot, I got back into the car, he and his buddy attempted to assault me, and I got the better of them before that '64 GTO got me the heck out of there. He did shoot at a friend's car a weekend or two later then disappeared. Never saw him again--honest.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Only in the Military , not in home or family situation and this was more than 25 years ago but a complete adrenaline dump , everything was complete muscle memory, my body and weapons control were on auto pilot , not scared in that moment but very focused . I was hit once in the left knee missed taking my leg by an inch flipped me but the adrenaline was kicking so hard I didnt relize I was hit until it was over and my heart rate came down and i noticed my left BDU pants leg at boot was getting much larger than the right like a water ballon , I pulled it out and blood went every where . And I am sure there are many here that can tell you many horrors of war and shoot outs as leo . And I rarely say a word about my time in it but the best I can tell you to take away from this is TRAIN constantly, until its second nature and know your weapon.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Crazy neighbor lady brought a mob of about 10 people to my house and tried to break-in.

Drew my pistol; it was the only thing that made her stop and the mob flee. She was later arrested and convicted in court.

I think it took an hour to stop shaking...
    BenGoodLuck and Badey like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Shot in a bar after a fight while I was walking away from the guy I had put a beat down on.

I didn't have a weapon to draw. Ever since then I have carried.

No encounters since then thank goodness.

So it kind of qualifies.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

My Model 36 saved my arse twice in 20+ years working in Newark, NJ.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    My Model 36 saved my arse twice in 20+ years working in Newark, NJ.
    Only twice?
    BenGoodLuck and USM1976 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

When I worked Close Security for a Firm long ago. (when I was in my 20s) Guy skipped some #4 buck across the pavement, we returned fire (myself and a couple others, and ended the altercation. I was struck in the left shin by a couple pellets. Didn't even know they hit me. I was riding in the Limo along with the Principal (Client). Got the Client out of the area. I had a MP5A3 and the others had Beretta 92F guns. I still have the " stains" on my leg from the encounter.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

In the 80's got robbed at gun point. NYPD asks me. Describe them. They were black. They said how tall. Dunno they made me lie on ground. Describe gun. It was black too......lost $40 cash $100 wedding band and $100 watch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Here's my story and I hope it doesn't give anyone nightmares. I went to my LGS a couple of years ago window shopping for a new handgun. Then, before I knew what was happening...bam! I saw the gun I've been looking for. I thought to myself "If I don't get that gun, I'm just going to die". So very concerned that I would have given my poor old mother too much heartache I bought that gun and saved my life. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    In the 80's got robbed at gun point. NYPD asks me. Describe them. They were black. They said how tall. Dunno they made me lie on ground. Describe gun. It was black too......lost $40 cash $100 wedding band and $100 watch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Now, Kennydale, you can only say; as nearly as you could tell, they were humans.

Back to the topic: No!
    BenGoodLuck and CLASS3NH like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I'm not LEO, or ex-military, just an engineer, but while working (in the field) I've had a gun pulled on me three times.

First time as an intern. An old codger, likely suffering from dementia or alzheimers or something, didn't take kindly to the water main replacement that was happening in front of his home. He didn't understand the concept of right-of-way, and that we (myself inspecting as the contractor worked) weren't on his property. He pulled a shotgun on us (none of us had a firearm) and we stood nervously awaiting LE to arrive and disarm the old man.

Second time was very similar - no gun, out in the field, gather info for gas rehab construction plans in a all black neighborhood when another old codger, also mentally ill, started whizzing 22's in my direction because he thought I was there to turn his utilities off.

The third time - I had learned my lesson, bought a handgun, but the company I worked for forbade me from taking it on the trip with me. Total buttholes. Claimed I wouldn't need the gun....Yeah right. 2 days into that trip, in the backwoods of Louisiana, the contractor got a little of course and got on some old coot's property. It was the surveyor's fault, they staked our line out wrong. Anyway, had no idea we were out of the newly acquired ROW and on private property. Finished work for the day and left (contractor left excavator sitting where he had been working). Got back the next morning and was greeted by the old coot and another damn shotgun in my face. Landowner had some local juice, wouldn't let contractor have his excavator back, got some kind of freakin' injunction from a local magistrate where the contractor had to sue to get his machine back, lol.

All three times were pretty scary - second one was worse. But, in retrospect, I really didn't need a gun in any of those situations. But who knows what the future holds. I quit the company that wouldn't let me carry my "legal" firearm in the field.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

9uc
    Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Only in the Military , not in home or family situation and this was more than 25 years ago but a complete adrenaline dump , everything was complete muscle memory, my body and weapons control were on auto pilot , not scared in that moment but very focused ........
    As above, and I'm thankful, only in the military and that was 46 years ago.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links