Carring a BUG with an extra mag. - Page 2

Carring a BUG with an extra mag.

This is a discussion on Carring a BUG with an extra mag. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...Does the back up go? It is interesting to read the 'bug' plans. I'm not involved with LE, so it's not like I head to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carring a BUG with an extra mag.

How Far Back?...

...Does the back up go? It is interesting to read the 'bug' plans. I'm not involved with LE, so it's not like I head to work each day to look for the forces of evil. Now I might certainly find myself within the potential clutches of a BG, but my chances are much better than the average cop that I will have a BG free day.

That being said, I thus plan for my own daily activities. I always have a Kimber (.45) with an extra mag...(didn't always have the extra mag, but I do now)...also have the spray, the light, the cell phone, and the Leek, etc.

I have tried also taking my P-3AT a few times (just to try it), but feel like that is not a real need for my lifestyle. Adding an extra mag for the bug makes me feel like a cop with 30#'s of equipment. I don't think it is bad idea for someone else, just not something I need. Actually, my wife has her CCW and has been trying to carry more and more...I would like to think of her as my bug (back up gal).

I think MY major focus needs to be thorough practice with what I DO carry...additional weapon self-defense classes (I've had two)...and development of the ability to 'react without thinking about what to do'...(does that sound correct?...), I trust that that will work for me. My wife and I have discussed what we would do as a couple, to either avoid trouble or face it as a team approach...I think that KNOWING how to work together is a 'must do'.

OMO...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I'm suprised at the numbers of members here who feel the need a bug. For the average CCW'r, I think its just a little bit of an overkill.

If I did carry a bug it would be for my off hand, due to muscle memory issues. Also, I'm sure my strong hand would be busy if it got to the point that I needed a bug.

I carry a Glock 23 with the Glock +2 floor plates, so I have 16 rounds of 40 cal. I have never felt under gun'ed with this set up. I may start carrying an extra mag, that would kick it up to 31 rounds, I think you you may have a lot of explaining to do why you shot 31+ rounds unless you were being attacked by a huge gang. I think it is good to be prepared, and each of us has to determine what is adequate for them and their lifestyle.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Reasons to carry a BUG include:

• Failure of the primary
    • Arming a non CCW wife or friend in time of need
    • Ability to draw the BUG while working to retain the primary from a snatch attempt
    • Sometimes the BUG is easier to access than the primary

Feel free to add other reasons if you can.

I use a DeSantas in the pocket combo holster and mag pouch similar to the one posted above in the off side pocket.

BUG magazine

On the rare occasion I carry a spare for my BUG, a P32 Kel Tec, I carry it in the little pocket above the side pocket of my jeans. Lighter pocket, key pocket, not sure what it's really for, but it works. I usually carry my BUG in my right back pocket (lefty). I would have to shuffle for a weak hand reload, but if you're a righty it works better. Speed strips mostly fit there too, for you snubbie folks. I work in a gunshop so if I feel a relatively higher threat kind of feeling, I'll listen to it and carry a spare. Also tend to carry more during our special event (and special crime) seasons here in central FL. Bike Weeks, Spring Break, Black College Reunion, Biketoberfest, NASCAR Speedweeks, etc.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I carry a Glock 23 with the Glock +2 floor plates, so I have 16 rounds of 40 cal. I have never felt under gun'ed with this set up. I may start carrying an extra mag, that would kick it up to 31 rounds, I think you you may have a lot of explaining to do why you shot 31+ rounds unless you were being attacked by a huge gang. I think it is good to be prepared, and each of us has to determine what is adequate for them and their lifestyle.
    The reasons for carrying a spare mag is not so much ammo capacity, but in case of mag failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links