CC and work

CC and work

This is a discussion on CC and work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My job as a pharmacist has changed for the past 10 years, more and more narcotics, more and more of my job seeming like law ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: CC and work

CC and work

My job as a pharmacist has changed for the past 10 years, more and more narcotics, more and more of my job seeming like law enforcement instead of health care professional. I work for CVS, which has a no gun policy for employees (I think for customers too, but it isn't enforced, I've had discussions with customers about the firearm they are carrying). New policies dictate stricter control over narcotics, which is sure to piss some people off. I have a license to carry and would every day at work, but don't in fear of losing my job. I like my job and it's benefits, I don't want to change jobs. What am I to do?

There are privately-owned pharmacies that don't criminalize folks for carrying. Might be the best alternative, long-term. Of course, that'd be a job change.

You could always run your thoughts up the chain of command, so to speak. Of course, there's the inevitable risk you'd be seen as an armed rabble rouser.

There aren't many good alternatives, in an anti-gun situation. Decide how valuable the job and job history is to you, then act accordingly. Most won't carry in that situation, I'd say. Many will. Some will look for other employment options. A few companies will actually listen to suggestions and consider them, without feeling threatened or lashing out. Don't know what CVS is like, along these lines, but I'm thinking they're much like most other firms ... as in, if an anti catches wind of your suggestions, you're branded a BG and ejected for their fears.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you had a small pocket pistol on you, nobody would be the wiser.
    stylus, munch520 and oldman45 like this.

Heres the deal there has been many case where the clerk etc or pharm guy at CVS etc pulled on a armed robber and or got into a gun batttel with them.. Even case they lived but got fired .. And I bet you there is little chancce most copr big box stores will hire someone who got fired for pulling a gun on there last job ..

So really either get a new job or risk being fired to carry ..

If you like the job .. Maybe see if your allowed to carry mace etc if you cant have a gun not the best but better then nothing ... Also if you work late at night and or crime arrea I would get a kevlar vest if I was you ... A leval 3 etc can be hidden pretty well but normal clothing or just say I put on a few pounds ... I know if I work a job where there a higer then nomal risk of issues ( prescptiosn/gas satiosn etc) I would be in a vest ..

good luck and be safe ..
    Phaedrus and Fon1961 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

So are you saying you have encountered customers who open carry? If so, can we assume your CVS doesn't post gun-busting signs?

You could also carry non-lethal spray. It's better than nothing. If you concerned for your safety, petition the pharmacy to harden access to the pharmacy and the store's entry points. I wonder if you asked them how they guarantee your safety and you had an incident where those measures were not sufficient to prevent an incident from occurring, it that would open new legal options against the company.

Open carry, while legal with a state permit in RI , almost never happens, my discussions with customers have been with those concealing that either have told me they carry or I noticed them printing and we talked about guns after that.

Every story that I can find of a CVS employee defending themselves or others ends with their termination. It's not that my store is in a high crime area, we just do a ton of narcotics. And as you all know, I'd rather have it and never need it.

I always carry out in public including the Drug Store. I am in the middle of changing from one Drug Store to CVS. I intend to carry there also. I do not expect an issue. However if something goes South and I have to provide a solution (as the Police are minutes away when seconds count) I will do so. I have the training and ability to handle a gun fighting situation and shoot way better than any of the local Police do. I just did the POST SWAT qualifier and passed it. Only 5% of folks that take it pass it.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Can you have a taser and a bat?
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Can you have a taser and a bat?

I would get a tire thumper .. Great for checking your tires but also if you had to use it ...well lead cored wood clubs tend to be rather painful to be worp upside the head with ....
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Youve got better ammo than bullets facing a tweeking druggie. Youve got PILLS man!! Use them. No self respecting druggie can resist a hand ful of narcotics thrown on the floor beside him. When he bends over to get em bonk him in the head with an orthopedic cane.

Personally Id rather be alive and fired than dead with a job. But thats just me.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Bear spray and a bat

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    Bear spray and a bat

Awesome...Tuff lady
    I Love Guns!!!

That video is awesome, I'd have to check policy on pepper spray, not sure if my employer bans that or not. Medicine Shoppes are franchises, that pharmacist most likely owns that pharmacy.

Tasers are banned under RI law, don't ask me why.

I'm less concerned with the robbery threat, 99.99% of the time they just get the drugs and leave, I'm more worried about the crackheads we know getting pissed we denied their RX and coming back looking for revenge. Thanks for the ideas, getting me thinking.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I would think you will find there are very few jobs out there that allow carry. Some jobs it is just awkward to do so. One still has to eat so you sometimes have to make some trade offs. Sucks but it is a reality of life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links