Carry on school grounds - RI

This is a discussion on Carry on school grounds - RI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With softball season starting up for my little ones, I am finding my schedule being filled with practices/games that will be taking place on school ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carry on school grounds - RI

With softball season starting up for my little ones, I am finding my schedule being filled with practices/games that will be taking place on school fields and school sponsored facilities. In wanting to do my due diligence and remain within the letter of the law, I have done some digging. From what I understand from the following laws, I am allowed to carry on school grounds. Since I am new to this state and certainly not a lawyer, I am asking for you opinion on the reading of the following provisions, specifically section (b):

11-47-60 Possession of firearms on school grounds. (a) No person shall have in his or her possession any firearm or other weapons on school grounds.

(2) For the purposes of this section, "school grounds" means the property of a public or private elementary or secondary school or in those portions of any building, stadium, or other structure on school grounds which were, at the time of the violation, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school in this state or while riding school provided transportation.

(3) Every person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than five (5) years, or shall be fined not less than five hundred dollars ($500) nor more than five thousand dollars ($5,000).

(4) Any juvenile adjudicated delinquent pursuant to this statute shall, in addition to whatever other penalties are imposed by the family court, lose his or her license to operate a motor vehicle for up to six (6) months. If the juvenile has not yet obtained the necessary age to obtain a license, the court may impose as part of its sentence a delay in his or her right to obtain the license when eligible to do so, for a period of up to six (6) months.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any person who shall be exempt pursuant to the provisions of 11-47-9, 11-47-11, and 11-47-18 or to the following activities when the activities are officially recognized and sanctioned by the educational institution:

(1) Firearm instruction and/or safety courses;

(2) Government-sponsored military-related programs such as ROTC;

(3) Interscholastic shooting and/or marksmanship events;

(4) Military history and firearms collection courses and/or programs; and

(5) The use of blank guns in theatrical and/or athletic events.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to colleges, universities, or junior colleges.

And below is 11-47-11 :

11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. (a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States, issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license or permit shall be in triplicate in form to be prescribed by the attorney general and shall bear the fingerprint, photograph, name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license or permit and in no case shall it contain the serial number of any firearm. The original shall be delivered to the licensee. Any member of the licensing authority, its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

As a licensee of the state of RI, am I correct in reading that I am ALLOWED to carry on school grounds as defined in 11-47-60?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any opinions!

Student of the gun (dot) com
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Our opinions do not matter, who you should contact is the issuing agency for your permit. Ask them if it would be legal.
    DuckDodgers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Our opinions do not matter, who you should contact is the issuing agency for your permit. Ask them if it would be legal.
    Was on my list of to-do's for tomorrow, it was just bugging me. Laying in bed and can't sleep as my mind is racing away....😊

Thought I would just throw it out there, but yes, I know opinions don't matter. Staying within the law does....

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepnheat View Post
    As a licensee of the state of RI, am I correct in reading that I am ALLOWED to carry on school grounds as defined in 11-47-60?
    If I say 'yes, you can carry', and then you do, and you get arrested for it because I was wrong, are you going to show the judge a screen-shot of this thread and hope that will get you off the hook?

A lot of people will post "ask a lawyer", and I'm here to tell you "don't ask a lawyer" because a lawyer is only going to say whatever saves them from liability if they're wrong. Ask your permit agency instead, they will actually know and give you the correct answer.
    DuckDodgers likes this.

I was simply trying to see if I am reading the laws correctly. At no point would I hold anybody to their answer.

Sorry I asked....

I was simply trying to see if I am reading the laws correctly. At no point would I hold anybody to their answer.

Sorry I asked....
    What we would like you to share is, if you carry, what do you carry, how do you carry it, how many other parents at the event are carrying, how gun safety is passed down to the kids, ec. But we generally shun legal questions.

This forum is not for seeking legal advice. This forum is for discussing different firearms, carry methods, sharing experiences, etc. DefenciveCarry.com is not a law-firm, is not licensed to and is therefore legally barred from providing legal advice.
    DuckDodgers likes this.

Sorry I asked....

I don't think you need to be sorry for asking a legit question. stylus has a good point though. Go ask those that will throw you in jail if you have misunderstood the law, for they ultimately hold your fate. I recently was curious about CC disclosure during a traffic stop, to disclose or not to disclose ( our state does not require disclosure of CC). Thousands of opinions all of which would never be the ones pulling me over. So I asked a local LEO, he said he would appreciate the courtesy but it is not the legally carrying citizens he is concerned about. So ask the one that will bite you.
    stylus likes this.

My issuing agency is my second stop in the am. I simply did not realize the gravity of my question and I understand your responses.

No further replies are needed.

Now this tired ol' boy is going to get some sleep. Busy day tomorrow.

Good night gents....

My issuing agency is my second stop in the am. I simply did not realize the gravity of my question and I understand your responses.

No further replies are needed.

Now this tired ol' boy is going to get some sleep. Busy day tomorrow.

Good night gents....

But do let us know what you find out.
    DuckDodgers likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Good luck with the issuing authority, especially if it's the AG's office. Their stock answer to any question about CCW is "No". I've always interpreted the statute at face value. Very curious to hear what the final outcome is.

Quote Originally Posted by risalvor View Post
    Good luck with the issuing authority, especially if it's the AG's office. Their stock answer to any question about CCW is "No". I've always interpreted the statute at face value. Very curious to hear what the final outcome is.
    Thankfully I didn't get mine through the AG, received my permit through my local town. I emailed the chief this am. Hope to hear back soon. Will let you all know what he says

I just got an email from the chief and I am within the law to carry.

Rock and Glock likes this.

Keep that email. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    If it turns out that you are right get it IN WRITING with a name printed and signed and dated. Otherwise the first time you are found out you are SOL. You're probably going to be SOL anyway.

How much money do you want to throw away??
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Keep that email. Just in case.
    That was my thinking in emailing vs. calling; a tid bit of advice my lawyer recently gave me regarding another matter. Although I have nothing but fine things to say about my local PD, you never know....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links