PA Hotel Shooting - an argument for needing a reload?

This is a discussion on PA Hotel Shooting - an argument for needing a reload? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bill O'Reilly: Video Center - Video Of The Day - Wild shootout in Philadelphia hotel The title being a reference to some people arguing that ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By poetdante
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By finst3r

Thread: PA Hotel Shooting - an argument for needing a reload?

Bill O'Reilly: Video Center - Video Of The Day - Wild shootout in Philadelphia hotel

The title being a reference to some people arguing that civilians will never get into a prolonged gun battle. And I know this looks like a dispute between gang members, but what IF you try running away and the guy chases you, like what happened in this situation? of course you usually wouldn't be running after the BG and shooting in an occupied hotel.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't know that I would base an argument on an isolated case that may not even apply to the law-abiding citizen. It's akin to saying because the bright sun hurt your eyes so you should never go out in the daylight. There are far too many variables to say because something happens once, it will always happen.
    finst3r likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Fallacy of Hasty Generalization (Faulty Induction)

Occurs when an isolated or exceptional case is used as the basis for a general conclusion
    poetdante likes this.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Looking at that video specifically, why would I need more than 7-10 rounds with either of those two bozos? Lots of unarmed folks got out just fine. Not saying if I had been there I wouldn't have engaged but if I did and needed extra mags at that range I would get some more training or sell my gun.
    Or are you thinking more of a 'Red Dawn' type deal? Whole gang of thugs taking over a hotel and you have to Jason Bourne yourself out? Yeah I mixed movies but that's just it, movies. I prepare for real life and looking at the video, that's probably a hotel in Philly I wouldn't have stayed at anyway.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Looking back, yah, a poor thread. How can I close it?

As for thinking about me being in some action movie, no way. I'm thinking more of I have to use my weapon and am trying to run away but this guy is just determined to kill me. Kind of like that one shooting where a guy pulled over had decided he would kill the first cop he came across and the cop was down to his last 3-4 rounds (Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job). Not saying we should go to that extreme, or that this isn't an isolated case either, but seeing the video I thought of the "most shootings happen in 3 rounds" statistic and made me wonder about having to flee and return fire, hence needing more than one mag

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    Looking back, yah, a poor thread. How can I close it?
    Just ask.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sponsored Links