OR CHL - "Real Property" lease assistance

This is a discussion on OR CHL - "Real Property" lease assistance within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be traveling to Oregon, and will be in the wilderness with a specific group where open carry is not ideal. I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: OR CHL - "Real Property" lease assistance

  1. #1
    New Member Array onrope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11

    OR CHL - "Real Property" lease assistance

    I'm going to be traveling to Oregon, and will be in the wilderness with a specific group where open carry is not ideal.

    I am looking for ideas to meet the "real property" lease requirement, ideally in Clackamas County. This can be anything from a lease for a few square feet in someone's backyard for pitching a tent to some kind of timeshare. It would need to be completed according to the template for an "Oregon Lease Agreement", which can be (I'm told) purchased at any Office Depot.

    I would be grateful if someone could either help me out directly, or point me in the direction of some options. Time is a bit short on this since I waited a while working an other option I thought would work out.

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,373
    This amounts to circumventing the law. Sure, you can do it. If something happens though you can bet your last meal that you will be sitting in jail.

    You could rent a motel room for a few days and that becomes your leased property.

    Oregon law enforcement does not play. Unless you have a LEOSHA card in your pocket, I would strongly urge you to leave the gun at home.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,612
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    This amounts to circumventing the law. Sure, you can do it. If something happens though you can bet your last meal that you will be sitting in jail.

    You could rent a motel room for a few days and that becomes your leased property.
    So, leasing a room from a company is lawful, but leasing a room or space from a citizen outside the umbrella of a business is illegal? (In terms of carrying within that leased temporary residence, that is.)



    OP, Oregon is an OC state of course. But I am assuming you're mentioning OC being "not ideal" for you, with the idea of hoping to instead carry concealed in a temporary residence. Yes??
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,349
    I guess I'm confused. You say you're going to be in the wilderness, but you want a signed lease? Is this private property or state owned land? In any case I think your way over thinking it. Looking for solutions to problems that don't exist.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  6. #5
    Member Array hdhnict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    211
    So take a Scottish Claymore!
    Multipurpose, intimidating, legal to OC.

    What, this isn't the humor section!

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, leasing a room from a company is lawful, but leasing a room or space from a citizen outside the umbrella of a business is illegal? (In terms of carrying within that leased temporary residence, that is.)



    OP, Oregon is an OC state of course. But I am assuming you're mentioning OC being "not ideal" for you, with the idea of hoping to instead carry concealed in a temporary residence. Yes??
    A motel has sleeping and bathing areas and restroom facilities. Renting part of a backyard would be like renting a storage room.

    Nor am I saying the LEA would even accept a motel room. If one were to read the entire OR gun laws from their Revised Statutes, it may be that nothing will work for a non resident. Open carry is going to be for residents. Concealed carry must be by permit and I do not think OR accepts too many states permits.

    A cousin of mine lives in Portland and he tells me if I come to visit, I best leave my guns at the state line.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member
    Array Chorizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,980
    Not true. Oregon is gun friendly, for the most part (some cities aren't too friendly). It is an open carry State except for certain cities (see link). I have an out of state concealed carry permit (adjoining State residents may apply). If you are out in the country, in an unincorporated area, carry open.

    Yeah, I read where you have some whiners who may not like it. Tell them tough feces or would you rather violate the law trying to circumvent it? You are really making the stupid choice here it seems.

    Oregon | OpenCarry.org
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

    "The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,612
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    A motel has sleeping and bathing areas and restroom facilities. Renting part of a backyard would be like renting a storage room.

    Nor am I saying the LEA would even accept a motel room. If one were to read the entire OR gun laws from their Revised Statutes, it may be that nothing will work for a non resident. Open carry is going to be for residents.
    ORS 166.250 specifically indicates it's unlawful for any adult person not otherwise prohibited (ie, felons) to carry without license, excepting clear open carry. It says "a person" and "any person" in the statute, not "state resident". Visible carry is for any adult person not otherwise prohibited, per ORS 166.250. With the occasional limitation by municipalities, as authorized by law.

    ORS 166.250 also specifically indicates one's "residence" (while living in OR, or while temporarily sojourning through OR) is covered. While it specifically mentions one's vehicle is covered, if residing in that, and one's motor home is covered if residing in that, no mention is made to criminalize open, license-less carry elsewhere by any such adult person.

    Can't imagine that one's temporary residence would be excluded simply because one couldn't perform all of one's activities in that residence, despite living there. It's the living there that matters, not what activities one can perform in addition to living there. Can't see the criminalization/exception specified in the statutes, unless you're seeing something else in there.
    stylus likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,155
    I am confused. Are you trying to get an Oregon Concealed Handgun License by leasing real property in Oregon?
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

    U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member
    Array Chorizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,980
    Sounds like it to me. He can't get an out-of-state permit because he doesn't live in a contiguous State, he doesn't want to open carry because of some people's "sensitivities" and thinks he has found a loophole.

    It will be just big enough that he can slip into a jail cell.

    EDIT: To add a very appropriate quote....."If you play stupid games you win stupid prizes" atctimmy
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

    "The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

  12. #11
    Ex Member Array stylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by onrope View Post
    I'm going to be traveling to Oregon, and will be in the wilderness with a specific group where open carry is not ideal.

    I am looking for ideas to meet the "real property" lease requirement, ideally in Clackamas County. This can be anything from a lease for a few square feet in someone's backyard for pitching a tent to some kind of timeshare. It would need to be completed according to the template for an "Oregon Lease Agreement", which can be (I'm told) purchased at any Office Depot.

    I would be grateful if someone could either help me out directly, or point me in the direction of some options. Time is a bit short on this since I waited a while working an other option I thought would work out.

    Thanks!
    Just lease a small apartment, put the utilities in your name, receive any kind of printed business mail there and *poof* you are now "maintaining a residence" in Oregon.

    No matter how you do establish yourself so as to be compliant with the "real property" requirement, it's going to cost you several thousand dollars and time in Oregon before you can carry to set up.
    LimaCharlie and oldman45 like this.

  13. #12
    Ex Member Array stylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I am confused. Are you trying to get an Oregon Concealed Handgun License by leasing real property in Oregon?
    You are not confused. That is exactly what OP is trying to do.

  14. #13
    Member Array GatorGuy407's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    Just lease a small apartment, put the utilities in your name, receive any kind of printed business mail there and *poof* you are now "maintaining a residence" in Oregon.

    No matter how you do establish yourself so as to be compliant with the "real property" requirement, it's going to cost you several thousand dollars and time in Oregon before you can carry to set up.
    This is what should be done if concealed carry is that important. The other options would to simply forgo the trip to Oregon, do not carry while you are there, openly carry, or lastly go ahead and carry unlawfully but this will be by far the most expensive option.
    LimaCharlie and oldman45 like this.

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    Just lease a small apartment, put the utilities in your name, receive any kind of printed business mail there and *poof* you are now "maintaining a residence" in Oregon.

    No matter how you do establish yourself so as to be compliant with the "real property" requirement, it's going to cost you several thousand dollars and time in Oregon before you can carry to set up.
    Would one not also need a valid driver's license in OR as well? To get a resident permit in LA or TX, you best have a drivers license from the state.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  16. #15
    Ex Member Array stylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Would one not also need a valid driver's license in OR as well? To get a resident permit in LA or TX, you best have a drivers license from the state.
    It seems you're correct:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

    • Have your principal residence in Marion County;
    • Have your current address on your driver's license;
    Even if you have a residence in Or, it has to be your principal residence and you need to change your license to OR, which will likely impact any other carry permit you have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •