Had an Accident Today

Had an Accident Today

This is a discussion on Had an Accident Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seriously. I was on my way home today when my wife's Kia ran out of gas (problem #1, my wife has a Kia). So, being ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Had an Accident Today

Had an Accident Today

Seriously.

I was on my way home today when my wife's Kia ran out of gas (problem #1, my wife has a Kia). So, being the only person in the vehicle, I had to start pushing it down the street towards the nearest parking lot. Thankfully, a wonderful gentleman came and bailed my fat butt out by helping me push.

About four yards from the entrance to the parking lot I had an "oopsie." The Blackhawk! hip holster I had at 3 o'clock decided that its thumb snap needed to come undone...and my revolver decided it needed to make sweet love to the pavement.

That's right. Somewhere in my running (what can I say, the guy who helped me out was in REALLY good shape) with an SUV and turning the steering wheel I lost my gun. I ran back and stuffed it in my pocket as the guys goes "yeah, better not lose that!" I'm lucky he was so cool with it, and unlucky that I was so embarrassed that all my manners went out the window as I shouted a general agreement back and headed back to the Kia with my tail tucked between my legs.

So, long story short, don't buy cheap holsters and expect them to stand up to any sort of strenuous use. I won't be using that holster again.

Just in case this guy turns out to be on here: Thank You! I owe you a beer.

Yep, problem number one is the KIA, but I'd say you might want to get a better holster too. I know some folks like leather, though for my tastes I cannot understand why anyone would choose leather over the security of kydex in 2014. You already know the Blackhawk name so why not move up to a SERPA and never have to worry about something like that happening again?

And before any of the SERPA haters chime in, the OP is carrying a REVOLVER. So no need to sound off about the "dangerous" SERPA. Which is BS anyway.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Funny how unexpected activities can expose issues with your carry rig... Glad everything turned out okay.
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Thanks for sharing your story. I guess you learned a few things today - 1) Check the gas gauge so you don't run out of gas; 2) Make sure your have a good holster; 3) Say thank you when someone does you a favor.

Glad it all turned out ok for you. You can pay the favor forward by helping a stranded motorist in the future!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Mike, why rag on leather holsters when the problem was clearly a cheap universal nylon holster? Quality leather has fine retention. So do Kydex and hybrids. The take away is clear. Have a quality holster made for your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Mike, why rag on leather holsters when the problem was clearly a cheap universal nylon holster? Quality leather has fine retention. So do Kydex and hybrids. The take away is clear. Have a quality holster made for your gun.
    Yeah I agree, the main thing is to have a quality holster. I'm just not a leather fan. I think kydex is a much, much better holster. Not ragging, just stating my opinion.
    Blkandrust and BenGoodLuck like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Let's not get into a leather holster VS Kydex holster debate because there are high quality leather holsters that have perfect and incredible firearm retention and there are Kydex holsters that suck as well as Kydex holsters that are fantastic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Funny part is, I had said to myself earlier today that "I should really get an IWB holster soon." For the guy/gal who inevitably reads this post and shrugs it off: get a good holster in the first place. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Thanks for sharing your story. I guess you learned a few things today - 1) Check the gas gauge so you don't run out of gas
    Now if only the gas gauge worked. But, alas, I'm useless with engines built after 1979.

Serpa - try this take a blue gun place in holster. Roll it a bit in the sand or dirt as if you were taken to the ground. See if you can get out it it without it jamming up.
    I was taking a force on force and did it when they first came out. It took a half an hour or so to get it free. Maybe a fluke I don't know but I do know I never used it again. If it works for you great.

Once leather is broken in its great. I have not ever had an issue with a proper leather holster. However kydex is like glocks. They just work ..most of the time :-)

If I use kydex I like the .80. I find the thinner ones can bend a bit

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

Number 1 problem is not keeping gas in car. On the number 2 problem, I just have never had this problem, and I've been on roller coasters , horseback, motorcycle/ATVs, and hiking. Plus running after criminals and sometimes taking it to the ground, and never, ever lost a gun. I guess it can and does happen, I just don't see how.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Let's not get into a leather holster VS Kydex holster debate because there are high quality leather holsters that have perfect and incredible firearm retention and there are Kydex holsters that suck as well as Kydex holsters that are fantastic.
    Agreed. We can limit it to Kias and Blackhawks and run out of arm strength well before we run out of rocks to throw.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I'm thinking pushing a car is a bit more strenuous than carrying a gas can.
    stylus, TN_Mike and redbirddog5 like this.

Just curious as to what kind of holster the cell phone was in that you couldn't get it out?

VIP Member
    OP, why are you blaming the car for running out of gas? Seems to me it is the drivers responsibility to make sure they have gas in the tank.

As for the holster problem, what happened is part of the reason I primarily use IWB holsters. I've never had a gun fall out of one.
    BenGoodLuck and BugDude like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This is a good reminder to all owners that CC works best when you think out your carry system. The gun is one part of it, and the other parts are a high-quality:

1. Holster
    2. Belt

Or shoulder rig or ankle holster, but those are specialized cases.

Having been warned in forums like this one, I've mostly avoided the "box of useless holsters" problem, but yes, I do have a Blackhawk paddle holster that's drifting around under the stuff under the driver's seat of my car. Terrible gear. Just useless. What happened is that I got an SR9c at Gander Mountain and wanted to carry right away, so after getting the gun, I went to their holster rack and found the Blackhawk made for this model. This was a huge mistake and waste of money. But it's probably how most of these holsters get sold.

After one ridiculous outing wearing the Blackhawk Print-O-Matic, I sucked it up and sprang for the Mitch Rosen:

This, with a dedicated gun belt, runs around $120. That's not crazy expensive, and it distributes the weight well, holds the gun securely in place and allows for a clean, fast draw. Figure any good belt is going to cost around $50 to $80, and a good holster about the same. Factor that into the cost of carrying.
    scgunlover1 and CLASS3NH like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links