Snap Caps

This is a discussion on Snap Caps within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a set of snap caps to practice draw and shoot. I half way expected to hear an audible pop, but all I heard was ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By hdhnict

Thread: Snap Caps

Snap Caps

Got a set of snap caps to practice draw and shoot.
    I half way expected to hear an audible pop, but all I heard was the striker hitting the snap caps.
    At least I know it is doing its job, but are they supposed to make a noise?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

No they are silent. Go get some Dummynition (several folks sell it) and use that. Also for field training have someone else load your mags with real and dummy ammo to practice failure drills. Depending on the gun you have you will either some have a few, many or almost none.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

VIP Member
    Nope, not suppose to make noise. I guess if you really want them to you could look around and see if anyone still has Mattel Greenie Stickem Caps. Personally I wouldn't recommend it but they will go BANG for you.
    OldVet and sdprof like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Nope, no noise, they are for training only.

Then I got what I paid for. Thanks all
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Snap caps are very useful for striker-fired pistols.
    The only striker-fired I own got a broken pin from the overtravel when the pin did NOT hitting something.
    Their good for practice clearing a dud too.
    Simonsay likes this.

Snap caps are useful for many things. Practicing reloads, malfunction clearing drills and trigger control. Also, they're excellent for teaching brand new shooters how to properly load and unload their gun.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Not sure what you're hearing? They are inert, so you should only be hearing the hammer (or striker) releasing.

Snap caps are great for dry fire training. Practice trigger control and every other drill in the comfort of your home.

A word of caution: Even the most expensive snap caps can develop problems. Examine them prior to loading into your mag, cylinder or chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    No they are silent. Go get some Dummynition (several folks sell it) and use that. Also for field training have someone else load your mags with real and dummy ammo to practice failure drills. Depending on the gun you have you will either some have a few, many or almost none.
    He already bought snap caps. Aren't dummunition and snap caps the same exact thing? What will they do that the snap caps won't?

OK, I guess I can provide the dissenting opinion. Snap caps are overpriced, are inferior for manipulation drills, because of their light weight, and don't protect firing pins after little use (usually aren't needed in the first place). In fact, the only gun that comes to mind recently that probably needs a cap, is a Tangfo II, and the firing pin is being re-designed to eliminate this problem.

OTOH If you don't have a loader or access to one, they do serve a purpose. A FMJ, some range brass, and dye-chem, is a cheaper/better alternative.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun47 View Post
    A word of caution: Even the most expensive snap caps can develop problems. Examine them prior to loading into your mag, cylinder or chamber.
    OK, I'm the dumb one here. They don't explode, or fly out of chamber when slide is racked. Aside from the (what would be the) primer getting small indents from the pin, what should I be looking for?

VIP Member
    Sometimes they get worn and the extractors fail to extract them from the chamber. It happens more in rifle snap caps than pistol. We had some issues years ago when we were learning the M1 Garand. For matches the en-blocs have to be loaded in the 8 or 2 and in 2 you must close the bolt on an empty chamber. So we all purchased snap caps to practice. I think we all had a few stick into the chambers of the Garands. I think we just made some dummy rounds with out primers and powder for the drill. The snap caps were aluminum and the Garands extractor would tear them up. We also had the same issues with plastic snap caps. I doubt you will have problems with your pistol, but look at the snap caps and see if they are holding up.
    Overall I think they are a good way to learn how to run your gun. Lets face it some people should not be practicing with live rounds. Not everyone can get to the range as often as they would like.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    OK, I'm the dumb one here. They don't explode, or fly out of chamber when slide is racked. Aside from the (what would be the) primer getting small indents from the pin, what should I be looking for?
    After a lot of racking, use and wear, they can develop little coils or slivers of metal shavings on them. These can break off and fowl up the gun's innards.

Links