When to put your gun up/away?

This is a discussion on When to put your gun up/away? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What l am asking is...I have two young kids, and we tend to run and play in our backyard. I am not rolling around or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: When to put your gun up/away?

What l am asking is...I have two young kids, and we tend to run and play in our backyard. I am not rolling around or flipping or anything...more like kicking a ball and running, etc. Before doing this, should I put my gun up, or am I good to go. I am comfortable with my holster and setup(Ruger SR40c in a FoxX Hybrid holster(full kydex with trigger gaurd)) so I was just wondering your guy's take on this situation.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Proper holster and awareness you are good to go. I don't have kids yet, wife is pregnant now. I do however have 9 nieces and nephews from 14 to 8 month old. I am always holstered up, in fact just got home from my two year old nieces birthday party. Kids everywhere and I play with them. Never worry, crazy people don't take a break even at a birthday party.
    bigdrowe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    Proper holster and awareness you are good to go. I don't have kids yet, wife is pregnant now. I do however have 9 nieces and nephews from 14 to 8 month old. I am always holstered up, in fact just got home from my two year old nieces birthday party. Kids everywhere and I play with them. Never worry, crazy people don't take a break even at a birthday party.
    That's what I was thinking as well...awareness and a good rig. I am completely comfortable with my deal, but afraid if my shirt flaps when running and someone see's they might think I am nuts! Hope not though.

Anyone else?

SR40c either in a leather pancake or N82. I have four grand kids. Dont run to much cuz I aint able but do play with them. Aging 9 down to infant. I never disarm, one in the chamber. Never a problem or worry. The safest place for your gun with kids around is holstered on your body.

Edited to add. Anytime anywhere. What more important time to be armed than when with your loved ones at home or out. Who gives a rats rump what someone else thinks.

What they think wont help if the unthinkable happens and your weapon is locked in safe where you cant get it. JMO
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

As long as your comfy you should be ok ... I dont see a issue with running etc even more if your holster is good enough in Retention .. I have run with the dog with a 40 cal owb and dont have a issues other then needed a tigher belt
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    My kids played High School sports, not a chance I would carry anything playing with them. Way to rough and I seem to go hard.
    Thats what moms are for. She can keep her 9mm on her and protect us from everything except ourselves.
    Norm66, oldnfat and GWarden like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    For most play time with my son I stay holstered up. My only exceptions are when we are playing on the trampoline, with water or similar situations where either a gun could come loose or could get wet or damaged.

Don't know your location, but one can never know just when you are going to need a sidearm. It may be too late to go to the house, what if they come from the house? Better to have and not, need than to need and not have.
    bigdrowe, Ghost1958 and NONAME762 like this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

I keep mine on. I do play with our son but I do not run or do anything strenuous as I am not able anymore. I am completely comfortable with my lc9 or shield iwb on with my N82 pro. I do believe that having it on me is the safest place to be.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    My kids played High School sports, not a chance I would carry anything playing with them. Way to rough and I seem to go hard.
    Thats what moms are for. She can keep her 9mm on her and protect us from everything except ourselves.
    I agree with you here... If my kids were in high school and playing rougher, competitive sports I would put it away. My kids are 2 & 4 and slow running, kicking and throwing a football or something. If it got rough I would lock it up.

For the most part not an issue. Family knows Papa carries and knows where not to go.

We'll I got a lot of replies quick and it seems I am on the majority side of this question. I will continue to carry while playing(not strenuous like wrestling) and lock her up if it gets rough.

Thanks everyone

Kennydale likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Any time I am roughhousing with the kids or even the possibility exists what we are doing will lead to it, the gun goes into the safe. In my mind it always comes down to risk/benefit/consequence analysis. The benefit of keeping it on me is minimal while the risk is also minimal but the possible consequences of something happening are catastrophic, thus in my case it goes away.

At your house, I'd never consider taking it off. I wear mine running around, wrestling with kids on the lawn.

I also carry when I help coach kids' sports. Now if I were actually playing the sports going full-out, that would be different (if for no other reason than would hurt like hell to slide tackle on top of a pistol, and my jump shot is lousy enough without an extra pound on my waist). I know a couple other of the guys that are on the field are carrying as well (LEOs).

I Daycare my 15 month old grandson. I too have the SR40C when its in its holsterRuger+in+3sPEED.jpg the worst he has done is kick the safety to hot. Unless I am lying in bed with him (Naptime-Both of us), Then the Ruger goes into a Sticky holster and gets put in draw. I also have a steel locking gun case,that I got from Rugershop for a whopping $17.00 (plus shipping) but Nano Safes can be gotten from Amazon for under $30.00 and they are listed for prime so if your a member shipping is free.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links