Restraining orders???

This is a discussion on Restraining orders??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife recieved a phone call from a friend of ours in Arkansas yesterday. I wish I had a news clip to post of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restraining orders???

Restraining orders???

My wife recieved a phone call from a friend of ours in Arkansas yesterday. I wish I had a news clip to post of the story, but it has been too long. The friends cousin and her boyfriend were shot and killed by her ex-husband a couple days before Christmas. Apparently the couple had gone shopping with her infant son (ex-husband was father) and when they came back, he was waiting in the woods behind her house. As they got out of the car, they were ambushed. It just so happened that there was one other adult in the house at the time, and the ex-husband took the son inside to the other adult, and then went back out and shot himself. To me, one of the worst parts of the whole thing was that she already had a restraining order against him.

I think that everybody on this forum knows that those things are a joke, and don't really do anything to prevent crimes. Anybody who has brought one down on themselves has probably already committed at least one crime, and won't care about another...especially if they don't plan on living anyway.

I don't know all the details, and didn't want to pry given the circumstances, so I'm not sure whether he stayed in the woods and shot them with rifle, or if he crept up on them with a handgun. In a later discussion with my wife I was stating that as soon as she got the restraining order it would have been a good idea to have gotten a defensive pistol, some good training, and a carry permit. My wife's question was "would that have actually helped her?" All I could tell her was that it would have given her tools to protect herself, and she would have had at least somewhat of a better chance, particularly if he used a handgun. My heart and prayers go out to the family, especially her children. If anybody in my life ever finds themselves having to procure a restraining order, I am going to make extra effort to get them to take more measures of protection besides the order.
    "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

It Is Sad To Hear Stories Like This...

The RO, PPO, whatever one calls it, it's the paper trail and an aid in a good self-defense issue. It does not replace the individual's need for self-defense with a weapon/plan.

Perhaps a rifle in the woods would be hard to defend against, but being very alert is a MUST...

Bad news for sure...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's a tragic story, for those who died as well as the poor child now without parents.

Again, it highlights the futility of paperwork, and reminds us that we must take responsibility for our own protection.

I'd be interested in reading the story if you could post a link.

EDITED TO ADD: If it happened in Haskell, Arkansas on December 21, here's a link to the story complete with video: http://www.fox16.com/mostpopular/sto...7-f02179f4d233
    Last edited by JimmyC4; January 3rd, 2007 at 01:21 AM.

As has been stated...they're nothing but a way to have a paper-trail to show that there was an ongoing problem (thereby aiding in your defense if you ever have to shoot the BG). They're not going to prevent a damn thing.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Agreed Kenpo.....they have no power to stop anything. They are nothing more than a paper trail and a feel good item for the weak.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Found the news story. It was a handgun, and the victims never even made it out of their car.

http://www.bentoncourier.com/article...ws/31bnews.txt
    "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. - Thomas Jefferson

My sister went through this kind of crap.the police could do nothing. A restraining order is worth nothing in a case like this.I feel sorry for the kid.

Sometimes I wonder if getting a restraining order doesn't lead to these situations. I am not saying it isn't a good idea to get one, but clearly this guy had some mental issues going on for some time. He probably couldn't handle not being with the girl and his baby, when he got the RO, it may have been the last straw that sent him over the edge. Don't know but it is very sad. Having a CCW permit and being armed is not going to protect you in all circumstances. My prayers are with the family and that poor child who will never know his or her parents.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    In my case, getting an Order of Protection finally got it through to an ex-boyfriend that what he was doing was serious and needed to stop. So he stopped. But I had a gun and eyes on the back of my head to reinforce that piece of paper.

I feel terribly sorry for that woman and her boyfriend. Some people are just nuts and no court order will stop them. Sometimes a gun won't even deter them because they're so nuts, especially if they're not afraid of dying in the end.

It's ludicrous my ex kept harrassing me and making threats when he knew I was armed!

An ambush is truly a scary thing. There's a chance of fighting back if you see it coming, but that chance gets diminished when someone stalks you and waits for when you're in a weak moment. If he was waiting in the woods with rifle and scope, we'd all be in deep trouble.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by chloyd
    My wife's question was "would that have actually helped her?"
    The answer is, maybe, maybe not, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Ex with restaining order

I was involved with a restraining order situation 14 years ago. My wifes ex-boy friend stalking her and us.We got the order for 1 year the judge also ordered him not to buy any firearms for 1 year also. Yea right....guy had a bunch already so what the .... . useless order and get this I was not alowed to arm myself. Only at home, so if he came by, okay, but the Police will protect me on the street. Do these officals smoke crack or what? Well in this case the kid moved on with his life and it turned out good.

Don't know all the particulars but the US Supreme Court ruled, I beleive last year, that the police have no obligation to protect the individual citizen. I think it came about from a RO in Colorado where the woman who had it was murdered.

Maybe the most serious threat to an individual...

Perhaps the most serious threat a person can face is being targeted for death by a determined individual who does not fear legal consequences or his own death. Even heads of state, with all their security forces and armored limos, are routinely attacked and killed by such individuals. An ordinary person without such protection is very vulnerable.

The best you can do if you are targeted is to arm yourself, stay very alert, not follow a set routine in your daily movements, and fortify your house/office/car. The legal restraining order is a very minor deterrent, but could be useful if you wind up shooting your stalker and have to appear in court - it will help establish you as the innocent victim. The police will be of no help to you in preventing an attack, and you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomphixer View Post
    Don't know all the particulars but the US Supreme Court ruled, I beleive last year, that the police have no obligation to protect the individual citizen. I think it came about from a RO in Colorado where the woman who had it was murdered.
    Not exactly. The case is Castle Rock v. Gonzales. The woman who had the restraining order (Jessica Gonzales) wasn't murdered, but her three children were, despite repeated calls to the police.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    "Earl walked right through that restraining order and put her in intensive care"

Says it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links