Defensive Carry banner

I failed, hope this helps others

4K views 45 replies 41 participants last post by  tarugs 
#1 ·
Went to the "guys" version of a wedding shower. All us MEN decided to shoot some guns while the ladies enjoyed the bridal shower. I took my carry gun Kahr CW9, M&P9, LCR and my "tactical" 12 gauge. We shot and had lots of fun hanging out.

I keep all my guns loaded at all times, we don't have kids but have one on the way. I think guns are better served loaded and ready so I keep them that way. After shooting I loaded up the 12 with 00 buck along with the m&p, kahr and LCR.

When I was loading up my carry gun (kahr) I was being chatty and put the loaded mag in the ammo box. Holstered it with only one in the chamber. Went out to dinner with all of them and I just got home and unholstered the gun. It was magless!!! Had one in the pipe and no mag!!!

I am one of those who double checks and triple checks and went out with only one on the chamber. For a bit I thought maybe I bumped the mag release and my mag was at the restaurant. Fear set in and I started to freak, I check all my gear and bam the mag was in a ammo box. I am completely disappointed in myself. Went out with only one round in the chamber. I'm OCD and if it can happen it will.

Triple check your gear. One round is better than none but not good enough IMHO. Do diligence!!!

Handgun holster Gun accessory

See less See more
#3 ·
I know the feeling. I noticed my mag wasn't seated (I must have accidentally pressed the mag release while putting the pistol in my pocket) after I had broken down at 3 am. It is a bit disconcerting to think that you may only have one shot. Anyway, I double check that my mag is properly seated now.

#5 ·
Fear not, it happens to all of us. My 1911 was made to my specs and one of those was an extended mag release. At least twice a month, I find a mag that is hanging about half way out because I hit the release at some point during the day. I lose about 2-3 mags each year.

Stuff happens. Now to compensate for your misdeeds, send each member of this site a box of their favorite ammo in the caliber of choice.

#6 ·
Let it only happen once. I too left returned home one day to find 5 rounds sitting on my coffee table and my LCR that I carried all day empty from dry firing the night before.

Hasn't happened since

#8 ·
At least you had one in the chamber. .. I've left home a time or two with an empty holster!

#11 ·
Brother It happens!

I left the house for the day once, leaving a 1911 magazine on the dresser & not in the gun. Full magazine on my belt & one round in my pistol. Did not catch it until that night when I saw my magazine on the dresser.....

That happened a couple of years back & I'm still shook about it.

I'm sure it won't happen to you again for a long, long time.... if ever.

#13 ·
Out of habit, I squeeze the mag base plate and top of the slide between my thumb and forefinger many times during the day. Don't know why I do it, but at least I know I have a mag full seated at all times. I think it's because the Kahr CM9's magazine does not sit flush like most of my other autos, but I don't see a reason to stop now.

#15 ·
Did the exact same thing today after a session at the range. Reloaded all my magazines with my SD rounds, filled the pipe on both pistols, topped off the magazines I carry, and "thought" I put he magazines in both pistols. Holstered my pistols, policed my brass, packed up the range box, and left the range.

We made a stop at Walmart and then drove home 30 miles. When I unholstered my pistols at home the Glock G35 felt way too light. Checked my pockets to find only two 15 round magazines and the magwell was empty. My heart sunk into my stomach as I realized that I must have not seated the magazine completely when I was leaving range and ran through all of the places it could have fallen out.

When I went downstairs to double check the range box, my daughter found the magazine laying in the top tray and handed it to me.

Don't ever want to have this happen again to me.

#28 ·
Went to the "guys" version of a wedding shower. All us MEN decided to shoot some guns while the ladies enjoyed the bridal shower. I took my carry gun Kahr CW9, M&P9, LCR and my "tactical" 12 gauge. We shot and had lots of fun hanging out.

I keep all my guns loaded at all times, we don't have kids but have one on the way. I think guns are better served loaded and ready so I keep them that way. After shooting I loaded up the 12 with 00 buck along with the m&p, kahr and LCR.

When I was loading up my carry gun (kahr) I was being chatty and put the loaded mag in the ammo box. Holstered it with only one in the chamber. Went out to dinner with all of them and I just got home and unholstered the gun. It was magless!!! Had one in the pipe and no mag!!!

I am one of those who double checks and triple checks and went out with only one on the chamber. For a bit I thought maybe I bumped the mag release and my mag was at the restaurant. Fear set in and I started to freak, I check all my gear and bam the mag was in a ammo box. I am completely disappointed in myself. Went out with only one round in the chamber. I'm OCD and if it can happen it will.

Triple check your gear. One round is better than none but not good enough IMHO. Do diligence!!!

View attachment 89309

^Don't be too hard on yourself.^^^^^^^^^^

In bold is most likely your problem

#29 ·
Mine wasn't quite as bad. I normally carry a Colt New Agent when I carry a semi. I have a mag pouch which carries 2 spares. I decided to carry my LW Government Model on this particular day and strapped everything on. I had a full mag in the pistol with one in the pipe but I didn't realize until I got back home that my spare mag carrier had two compact mags in it so I was, in effect, carrying no reloads. I have since remedied the situation by carrying only full size mags for reloads. No matter which size 1911 I am carrying I have mags that will fit:embarassed:

#32 ·
Don't feel too bad I did one better. Many years ago I was doing private security. The company I worked for had an armed special events contract for a Frat house one weekend. I worked Friday and Saturday nights with no major trouble. On Sunday I decided to clean and do preventative maintenance on my revolver. When I popped the cylinder open you guessed it, it was unloaded. I had worked 2 nights in uniform with an empty duty weapon. That was the last time that happened. After that I checked my duty weapon before leaving the house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.