Post offices..

This is a discussion on Post offices.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep seeing people refer to post offices and federal property in the same sentence. It's always been my understanding that the post office is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post offices..

Post offices..

I keep seeing people refer to post offices and federal property in the same sentence. It's always been my understanding that the post office is its own, private entity, that happens to be sanctioned by the government. Which explains why the P.O. can advertise things(stamps with movies come to mind...). So, assuming they are not goverment owned, they are not federal property. What is the USPO's official stance on ccw?

2. Remove Ads

Well see this is where the "grey" area comes in with the post ofice carry thing. Your right for the most part as we have had a few discussions about this in other threads. Try a search, I think one went many several pages with still no direct answer to the question. Most post offices seem to be posted. I am not aware of any in my area that are but it is one of those things that you could be taking a chance on and at least spending your life savings trying to prove them wrong if your caught. I don't want to be that test case.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Far as I know unless you are a fed LEO or an LEO guns are a no no. I don't know why who would rob a post office, and with their employees going postal er.... well it seems you may need it there to perserve your life.

VIP Member
    Look at this thread and you will find a rather lengthy discuss of the subject. Post Office Carry
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

in ohio most of them have signs anyways. i buy my stamps frm a local store and use the blue mailbox thing to send them off. no post office for me.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

The local one here as a no weapons sign with the federal law that applys to it posted so i dont carry there course i dont go there often either

You can also buy stamps and such over the internet. Both of the PO's in my area have signs posted.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I agree that you pretty much don't have to even go in the post office anymore. Everything you can do there is done on the net now and they even have sceduled pick up's now so I wouldn't even go in if you didn't have to.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Post Office?

You will never 'SEE' me CCW in our town post office...

One afternoon I was mailing a package in our small town PO...with no other customers being around I started a conversation with the post office 'official'. He wasn't really sure, but did say this, "Well, I've heard people discuss this before, but...isn't concealed...concealed anyway?"

I simple responded, "You bet!"

In our small town, I run in and out in a couple minutes...I don't worry about it, actually...I don't even think about it. Some place else, I might stay on the 'safe' side...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Another going postal thread... Here's what I think...

Senior Moderator
    In every discussion that I have ever participated in dealing with this subject(and there have been many), it seems that there is compelling evidence for both sides of the argument. Having spoke with numerous lawyers, prosectuors, sheriffs,police and even postal workers to be perfectly honest with you I dont think that anyone really knows the answer.

I think that it is up to the people there. If they dont care, nothing will be said. Go to another one a few miles aways and they may want to prosecute someone for doing it. At best, its a crapshoot.

In most cases, those in charge will err on the side of caution and say no. Others like retupt99 already stated, could seem to care less. Im sure that the current political climate of your general area will make a difference.

So whats the answer ? The only fool proof thing is to check with the post office you frequent and ask...and whatever you are told, if it happens to be OK , just understand that it applys ONLY to that office.

If the answer in negative, just dont do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    What is the USPO's official stance on ccw?
    The U.S. federal government's stance is that the U.S.P.S. is an agency of the federal government, not some loosely-affiliated third-party. Verboten. That's about it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

bae
    I happen to own the building in which our small town's Post Office operates - I lease the space to them. There are 4-5 other small businesses in that same building. I wonder if I'm legal or not, when inspecting the premises, or visiting one of my other tenants?...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    The local one here as a no weapons sign with the federal law that applys to it posted so i dont carry there course i dont go there often either
    I think it is the same sign mine has. It only list part of the law. There is an exception for "hunting or lawful purpose" that is not posted.

This is contradicted by other federal laws IIRC.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    In a prior LONG discussion about this, someone posted both the wording of the CFR and the USC (a LOT different than the poster in every USPO in the US which was probably written by Sarah Brady herself) and discussed WHY the CFR (Legally) can NOT be more restrictive than the USC. The USC ALLOWS LEGAL CARRY in a USPO, as long as you are there for LEGAL business purposes.

- Therefore if you live in a state that does Not prohibit carry in gov't buildings and you have a CCW permit, the USC says you are good to go.

- If you live in a state that restricts carry in a gov't building, then it would be illegal to CCW in the USPO for any reason.

If you feel nervous about it, just don't do it!
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links