CCW with young children (under 5)

This is a discussion on CCW with young children (under 5) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Advisible or not. It is very difficult to pay attention when they are around. In the Car walking to and from the car. Shopping etc,...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW with young children (under 5)

CCW with young children (under 5)

Advisible or not. It is very difficult to pay attention when they are around. In the Car walking to and from the car. Shopping etc,

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Sure, why not? Your attention my be divided, but with the tikes in tow, all the more reason to be on your A game and protect them and yourself.

Most definetly, just make sure you are in control of the weapon at ALL times, when you're not it should be placed in a locked container, or made so they cannot go bang!! At five years old this is a great time to start teaching gun saftey to your children. I started my son around this age. I bought him a nice little Henry lever action youth model at age 7. My son is now 15 and is safer with firearms than most adults I have shot with.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Are you saying that because your attention is divided, making you a more attractive target for the bad guys, that you think it would be better that you not carry?

What kind of logic is that? It seems to me that it would be more advisable to carry. I mean, your child or children are there. Do you want to put them more at risk?

I have 5 kids age 16 to 4 year old twin boys. My wife and I always carry. Why the heck wouldn't we?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My thought is to carry, because protection of self and family is the reason why I have a permit. But I have also know that part of not being an easy target is to be aware of potential threats BEFORE they become so. I have noticed that it is verty difficult to focus on the surroundings well, and thus difficult to identify problems before they present themsleves.

People with small children do make attractive targets because they do focus quite a bit on the children. Getting into and out of the car. Getting into and out of the shopping cart While shopping. Watching them in the parking lot while they walk etc...

It would be difficult not to be surprized by a thug with the little ones around.

Kids...Grandkids...No Kids...

safety is always the same...and YES, I always carry...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I understand phoen1X but it is still unthinkable to me to be out there in the world with your children in tow, with the scum bags sharing the streets with you and not be armed.

Surprised or not, if a scum bag shows up, do you want to be able to defend your family or just be at the mercy of the scum bag?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

If it's not on my hip it's in the safe and I have a six year old. Nuff said.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

I've got a 4 year old and another on the way. I carry whenever we are out in public. At home the gun is on my hip or in the safe. Both of those places are under my control.

Yes Carry !!!

I agree with the above posts. One thing to add is that your option of retreating has decreased to almost nil. So if threatened, respond with enough force to defeat the threat quickly. Remember you are all that stands between the threat and your children.

Oh yes, good luck and I pray you never are in this type of situation.

Eric

One of the reasons I started carrying was because I'm often out with my kids. Part of my responsibility as their father is to protect them from harm. I see carrying in the same light as putting them in their car seats and always having them close when we're out--it's just another way that I protect them.

As far as safety is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you strictly follow the safety rules. In my case, the weapon is always on me or it's locked up. Period.

Ditto to all of the above--I've got a 10yr old and 4yr old...always carry, all of the time

When inside the house I carry my Glock 36 OWB with the chamber empty since I have a 1 year old always scampering below me. I know it's safe in the holster but I don't like it pointing down at her in condition 0. I figure inside I'll have that extra second needed to chamber a round. Before stepping outside I'll chamber a round. Anyway this is the frst time CCW in Kansas since today was the first day. When she is older and not directly below me I'll be 0 all the time except when it's in the safe I'll keep it unchambered.

I have a very outgoing 4 year old girl. She is all over the store exploring and constantly is trying to get into things. My attention is almost always on her rather than surroundings but that is something i need to work on. Im more concerned about her going around to a shopping isle that im not on and getting snatched by some Cho-Mo.
    So i am constantly having to follow her. Unless ofcorse i bring the portable dvd player along and she sits quietly in the cart.

I carry anytime I leave the house with my family or by myself. When at home the gun is in condition yellow on my hip or locked with key so they cant go bang.

Carry! Carry! Carry! Your child will thank you for it when you save his\her life someday.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I have a 6 yo step son and will have a daughter in months. they are the reason I carry. Safe gun handling skills are up to you. They don't change with the environment.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links