At what point should you stop carrying ?

This is a discussion on At what point should you stop carrying ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In two years, my CC license will be up for another reneual. I'll have a decision to make at that time as to whether to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: At what point should you stop carrying ?

In two years, my CC license will be up for another reneual. I'll have a decision to make at that time as to whether to continue to carry or not. At that time I will have turned the big 65. Part of me says let the license go because 1. I find myself carrying less and less, 2. I very seldom practice due to early stages of arthritis, 3. I've developed a sorry attitude. I don't want to be in a position of being a danger to other people, but what would you do ??

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You should find a weapon that is easier for you to deal with and carry every moment it is legal.

Honestly, as you age you become more of a target for many criminals out there. You shouldn't be carrying less as you age, but more.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Personally I intend to carry till my deathbed. The older one gets the more suseptible to attack we get. I have no intention of letting some scumbag take advantage of my debility. There are times fireing a pistol hurts my wrist that is why I practice fireing with either hand individually and with both hands,sometimes the hand holding the pistol is right sometimes the left. If I can't shoot I usually can still hold a knife, which is why I carry multiple knives.

I suppose that if the day should come that I am completely senile then I probably will quit carrying , but only because I can't remember to put on my pants.

When?

"...from my cold dead hands!"

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Geezer, I'd be another to suggest that you find a carry gun that will work for you. I'm 59 and have had my share of health problems lately, all of which makes me an easier target for the bad guys. For that very reason I find that it is more important to carry now than when I was a bit younger and more fit.

Keep carrying, don't be an easy target. Make it a 2007 resolution to carry all the time. Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    What has caused your 'sorry attitude?'

I guess the only thing that would cause me to quit carrying is if my ego causes me to be to big for my britches or if I thought I would become an intentional threat to the sheep (I don't intend on going crazy, though)

I would find something I could handle- Barring that I would think about that new Kimber spray that doesn't contain the CFC.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Better to have CC license, than not, make up your mind day to day.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

keep on carrying I as a retired martialist for over 25 years and having a hip replacement this month, found out i needed about a year ago to carry, with hip & knee problems I couldn't even run to save my life let alone some one else, so I say keep on carrrying, I plan on carrying any where legal til the good LORD takes me home.
    Be safe

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    In two years, my CC license will be up for another reneual. I'll have a decision to make at that time as to whether to continue to carry or not. At that time I will have turned the big 65. Part of me says let the license go because 1. I find myself carrying less and less, 2. I very seldom practice due to early stages of arthritis, 3. I've developed a sorry attitude. I don't want to be in a position of being a danger to other people, but what would you do ??
    Sounds to me like you have real issues with the reality of Aging.
    Lots of us here are in the "senior" group,and have health problems.
    I suggest you have a serious discussion with someone you trust
    (close relative , physician, pastor)

Personally , I'm too Ornery to let Father time Declaw me.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

It doesn't cost much to renew so I would do it. Better to have it, in case your mind changes.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

When there are no more BG's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The thing that would make me stop is when handling the gun my mind does not handle it well or make decisions that are not safe.

Based on your note and that your asking the question, my answer would be you shoud get your renewal. Do you have a drivers license? A car has 5k times the energy of any bullet so if you can handle a car then you can handle a gun IMHO.

You can then make a choice on when and if to carry. Also look at what is a gun that fits into your physical ability. Example a revolver with CT laser on it to help with a vision problem.

I hope this helps!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Do you think you are a danger to other (good) people? Only you can answer that question.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ron
    I am also in the "senior" catagory and strongly agree with those who said that since we are perceived as easy prey by the BG, and thus potentially more vulnerable to being attacked, we have an even greater need to be armed. With that said, however, I believe that it is often more a mental then a physical issue. If you do not feel confident that you are up to the task of safely and competently carrying, then you probably should not do so because the mental lack of confidence came be a physically disabling element in a crisis situation. But, I also agree that there is no need for you to give up the permit at this time. Perhaps, taking a tactical training course will help get you back on track.

Ron

Administrator
    When I can't pull the trigger on a 45 anymore that's when I'm cashing in my chips.

And....65 is NOT that old these days.

The arthritis is a different problem (that sure can make you FEEL old) & that makes things slightly more difficult but, not unworkable.

Seriously, I think you should move to an easier to manage and smaller caliber firearm.

Select a nice revolver for yourself with a nice smooth and not overly heavy trigger pull if necessary.

Or take a look at the Beretta handguns with the Tip Up barrel so that you don't have to rack a slide in order to chamber & unchamber a round.

Please do continue to carry.

Ya sound like you might have a little bit of arthritis depression.
    I see that happening in my Mother In Law.
    It's tough for her to stay in a good mood all the time when everything she does hurts like Hell.
    Constant pain & stiffness can really knock the crap out of you.

For sure when you get to a point where it's more difficult to physically fend off an agressive attack is when you'll need a firearm more and not less.

Stick with us geezer & go get yourself renewed.

You're never a danger to others as long as you remember the basic rules of safe gun handling and you still have your sound mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links