Multiple Handgun Purchases in VA

This is a discussion on Multiple Handgun Purchases in VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heading out to a gun show tomorrow (Jan. 6) to look at a Kel Tec P-3AT. However, I recently purchased my Sig P239 on Dec. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Handgun Purchases in VA

Heading out to a gun show tomorrow (Jan. 6) to look at a Kel Tec P-3AT. However, I recently purchased my Sig P239 on Dec. 7, so I won't be able to make the cut for the 30-day waiting period between handgun purchases.

However, in checking over www.gunlaws.com, and meandering over to the Virginia State Police's site, I caught this little gem at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...ePurchase.shtm

A Certificate is Not Necessary in the Following Circumstances:
    6. When in possession of a valid Virginia permit to carry a concealed handgun.
    Granted, I don't have my permit yet (giving it another few weeks), but I don't have any money either!

But, it's good to know.

good deal about the CCW getting you out of the 30 wait garbage...if it's a local dealer and he has a deal then you could always just give him a deposit on the gun...
    of course "deal" and gun shows in my area don't really go hand in hand so I hope they are better where you are

VIP Member
    You permit works or you could go to the local State Police office and fill out a form for multiple purchase. I never had a problem getting one from my local office. You do have to answer a bunch of idiotic questions though.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

NC has done the same thing. Prior to this I would always have a few of the certificates with me in my safe. They are good for 5 years, and only cost $5.00 each. But now I don't need them at all, yeah!! Gun Show in Feb here I come!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    You permit works or you could go to the local State Police office and fill out a form for multiple purchase. I never had a problem getting one from my local office. You do have to answer a bunch of idiotic questions though.
    I noticed that too, but too much hassle, IMHO. If I had the money, I would simply pay for the weapon in full, and arrange to pick it up from the dealer (if he was local) in a few days.

That's how I had to handle my Kimber, anyway, as I was living in Maryland at the time, so I had to do the 5-day wait thing while MSP performed a ballistics fingerprint on the weapon. Bought it at a gun show and just picked it up from the dealer after all the hoops had been addressed. Nothing like getting your NIB gun with carbon residue in the chamber.

VIP Member
    When I worked behind the counter there was a customer with probably 30 paid for handguns in the back of the shop. Each month he would come and get one. Then the permit exemption hit in July of 2004 IIRC and he came in and got them all. He was a happy camper then.

I bought two guns on the same day in Virginia (Glock 23 .40S&W and Beretta Tomcat .32 auto), which was perfectly fine with the State of VA and the retailer, since I had a Concealed Handgun Permit. However, there was an additional BATF form that had to be completed for multiple purchases. Bottom line is that the Feds now know what I bought, serial numbers and all. Normally, paperwork is only filed with the VA State Police so Feds only know about it if they come to review the retailer's books during investigation of a crime.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I bought two guns on the same day in Virginia (Glock 23 .40S&W and Beretta Tomcat .32 auto), which was perfectly fine with the State of VA and the retailer, since I had a Concealed Handgun Permit. However, there was an additional BATF form that had to be completed for multiple purchases. Bottom line is that the Feds now know what I bought, serial numbers and all. Normally, paperwork is only filed with the VA State Police so Feds only know about it if they come to review the retailer's books during investigation of a crime.
    Yep that dreaded multiple purchase form. I usually went in on two different days 25 hours apart to avoid that one.

I was at a gun show and coinsidered a multiple buy but my card was so worn that the seller couldn't read/record the number, so he wouldn't do a multiple. That's a good reason to laminate a CHP.
    The fact that you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

When I worked behind the counter there was a customer with probably 30 paid for handguns in the back of the shop. Each month he would come and get one. Then the permit exemption hit in July of 2004 IIRC and he came in and got them all. He was a happy camper then.

Yep that dreaded multiple purchase form. I usually went in on two different days 25 hours apart to avoid that one.
    Exxxxxxxxxxxxxactly.

I didn't know that VA had one of these stupid one gun a month laws.

South Carolina had one when I was stationed there and I always thought it was just idiotic. I never understood the logic involved in it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The logic is to prevent individuals from buying large quantities of handguns in gun-friendly states (like VA), then illegally selling them for profit in anti-gun states (like NY). It probably works to a large extent and doesn't create too large a burden for most gun buyers.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I would presume that any individual who would be of the mind to purchase multiple handguns legally would also possess a valid CHL, negating the law. I don't see it as a problem, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    I would presume that any individual who would be of the mind to purchase multiple handguns legally would also possess a valid CHL, negating the law. I don't see it as a problem, really.
    the only problem with such laws, to me, is they are STILL an infringement on a right. you may find them "acceptable"; i equate it to getting "nickeled and dimed". if we keep making concessions, pretty soon there won't be any concessions left to make.

*please don't take this personally ... i'm just tired of hearing about "reasonable gun control" like one gun a month and the like. no gun control is reasonable.*

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I agree with you on principle, but I would like to think that there are much more blatant infringements upon our rights than those in place in Virginia, and our efforts would be best directed there. Virginia is just a step shy of Vermont insofar as gun rights go - it just seems like a situation where the time invested to fight over a petty point would be better spent doing something else... like shooting things, or fixing the Massachusetts/California/Etc. take on the second amendment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links