Do LEOs Already Know?

This is a discussion on Do LEOs Already Know? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are LEOs immediately notified by dispatch that drivers whom they stop, for whatever reason, are CHC holders before they make their initial contact with the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Do LEOs Already Know?

Do LEOs Already Know?

Are LEOs immediately notified by dispatch that drivers whom they stop, for whatever reason, are CHC holders before they make their initial contact with the driver?
    gatorbait51 and Old Sarge like this.
    Brought to you by S&W M&P Shield 9mm, Holstered by Alien Gear

2. Remove Ads

It all depends on the state, i cant speak for Arkansas but here in florida no they are not notified and there is no duty to disclose the information either. Im sure somebody will chime in with the information your looking for.
    gatorbait51 and 3rdegree like this.

Distinguished Member
    I would think it depends on what State you are talking about. Gun laws cannot be discussed in detail since every State has their own laws. In Florida they do not notify the LEO.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

In Ohio the CCW information is coupled directly to the license plate information.
    Last edited by Pukindog12; May 17th, 2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added text
    oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If you wear flip flops you got more problems than I can take care of in this video." Jeff Quinn

You can pretty much bet that where ever you get pulled over by a State Trooper when he runs your tags that tag will say if the owner of the car has a CCW permit or not.

Doesnt tell them if person driving said vehicle does but the owner. Some states will admit it others wont but if they want to know they will know.
    Old Sarge, Jtrams and gatorbait51 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    It all depends on the state
    Exactly and extremely so, it very much depends on the state. Some have nationally accessible databases, some have databases that are only accessible within the state, some have no centralized database and prohibit the creation or maintenance of one.

In Georgia, the weapons license is issued by each individual county Probate Court (the lowest level of government that exists and is more clerical than judicial in nature). There is not centralized database and anyone wanting to know if a person has a license would have to call one of the One Hundred and Fifty-Nine county probate courts to find if one was issued.
    (Good luck, they're open from 8:30 until 4PM, Monday through Friday. Don't call during lunch 'cause that's when CindyLou watches her soaps and you do NOT want to interrupt CindyLou when she's watchin' her soaps. No, you do not.)

Anyone, anywhere, who tries to tell you Officer Friendly in Mystate can always tell if you have one, even if you're from Yourstate is just blowin' smoke up your butt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BARFO View Post
    Are LEOs immediately notified by dispatch that drivers whom they stop, for whatever reason, are CHC holders before they make their initial contact with the driver?
    Depends on the state, who the car is registered to, etc.
    tcox4freedom and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    That info doesn't come until the LEO runs the Drivers License. While some states attach that info to the car tag, in Arkansas it is attached to the Drivers License. When the officer runs it, then the Dispatcher will notify the officer that the person has a CHL.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    It doesn't come up in Alabama and we don't have to inform. I got pulled over in Texas this past summer and they even commented about not knowing if I hadn't told them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog12 View Post
    In Ohio the CCW information is coupled directly to the license plate information.
    In Warshington state where I am my CC permit is not closely related to DMV. I am NOT bound to inform. My last driving infraction was in 1994 so I ain't too worried about it.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    In Warshington state where I am my CC permit is not closely related to DMV. I am NOT bound to inform. My last driving infraction was in 1994 so I ain't too worried about it.
    That is probably because the last time you drove was in 1994 NONAME 762 - let's catch up on the phone soon, but not at 1AM you noctornal B.
    vice87, Navydude and locotest like this.

Ky is no inform but they do know by the tag that the cars owner has a CCDW. Wasnt always like that but heck now KSP can print you a copy of your insurance card in their cruiser. They will still ticket you for not having one then print you one LOL.
    Navydude likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Don't call during lunch 'cause that's when CindyLou watches her soaps and you do NOT want to interrupt CindyLou when she's watchin' her soaps. No, you do not.)

Anyone, anywhere, who tries to tell you Officer Friendly in Mystate can always tell if you have one, even if you're from Yourstate is just blowin' smoke up your butt.
    I met Officer UN-Friendly one day in Spirit Lake IDAHO in 1991. I was squeaky clean. No wants no warrants. LE HATES THAT.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

HUA

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Ky is no inform but they do know by the tag that the cars owner has a CCDW. Wasnt always like that but heck now KSP can print you a copy of your insurance card in their cruiser. They will still ticket you for not having one then print you one LOL.
    To use an old time phrase to that effect..........

That's mighty white of them......
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Not in Louisiana. We do get a notification of all applicants in our jurisdiction. That's because the State agency tasked with authorizing CC permits wants to know if an applicant is under some type of criminal investigation. If they have been convicted if something that would be on their criminal history. But, if they are under investigation for a serious crime and not arrested yet, there is no central database for that. In my jurisdiction as Chief Deputy, it is my responsability to review these local applicants. So far, in the 14 years I have been doing it, I have had to deny ZERO applicants. Just more proof that thugs and gangsters don't give a damn about gun laws, they are gonna have them anyway. Regardless, it warms my heart to see all the CC permit holders we have here. I wish we had more honest citizens here packing heat. We could use the help!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links