Changing State CCWs

This is a discussion on Changing State CCWs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has anyone here had any experiance with getting a CCW in Colorado, I have a CCW in Michigan but just moved to Colorado. and even ...

Thread: Changing State CCWs

Changing State CCWs

has anyone here had any experiance with getting a CCW in Colorado, I have a CCW in Michigan but just moved to Colorado. and even though I carry here all the time, I think its time to get licensed in CO. any thoughts?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the MARINES don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan.

Remember your abilities AND disabilities can become Possibilities!

Semper Fi!

2. Remove Ads

It seems to me that it's a good idea to get a carry permit from your home state, even if you have an out of state permit that's good there. The decision to honor an out of state permit is often an administrative one, and it could probably be reversed pretty easily. If that happened it would leave you in the lurch until you could get a permit from your home state. Having a home-state CCW license could also help if you were stopped by an LEO who didn't know the law or didn't know which out-of-state licenses were honored.

Neither of these is probably a huge risk, but getting a permit from the state where you live seems like a cheap bit of insurance.

Your friendly Sheriffs office will have ALL the info you need to get your CCW in Colorado. Your CCW is accepted in Colorado. Should make things easy for you.

Check your states laws. Our state will consider your states CWP null and void the minute you become a resident of ours and are no longer a resident of the issuing state. Even if its a recipricol agreement state. They will not honor it, if you are no longer a resident of that other state and are now a resident of our state. So... I say check on that. Just in case. You may not have a valid permit at all if you are now a Colorodo resident if thier laws are similar to ours. But it might not be the same. So double check it.

The only states that require you to be a resident of the state that issued your CCW permit are South Carolina, Michigan, New Hampshire, Florida and West Virginia, so CarryingMarine's good with his Michigan permit in Colorado.

Blackeagle is correct. It is always best to have a license in the state you reside in. Those setting the rules can be very fickle. Folks in AZ were out of luck when AZ dumped UT for residents.

I' in the Denver area and have a Florida permit. i had the same concern so I sent an e-mail to the AG and the response I got was a quote from the Concealed Weapon Permit Law stating that any valid permit/license issued from a state with which Colorado has reciprocity is valid.

The quote they sent me had absolutely no reference to your state of residence.

Based on this I continue to use my Florida license.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack
    ...any valid permit/license issued from a state with which Colorado has reciprocity is valid.
    The point, though, is that he has a RESIDENT permit for Michigan from when he was a resident there (at least, I'm assuming this is the case). He is no longer a RESIDENT of Michigan, so his Michigan RESIDENT license is no longer valid. It is, therefore, not valid in Colorado. He is carrying ILLEGALLY! (Unless I am mistaken and his Michigan license is a non-resident license.)

To the original poster, you either need to get a non-resident license from another state that is valid in Colorado, or you need to get a Colorado resident license. In the meantime, you need to STOP carrying! At the VERY least, when you go to apply for your Colorado license, you surely shouldn't tell them that you've been carrying without a valid license!

Denverd0n,
    You are correct, if his Michigan license is no longer valid then it would not be valid here in CO. However, if it is still valid, and this depends on the state of Michigan, then there would be no reason to get a Colorado permit unless he wanted to. Since Colorado has reciprocity with Michigan, a "valid" Michigan permit would allow him to carry legally in Colorado regardless of his residency. It all depends on whether or not his Michigan permit is still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    The point, though, is that he has a RESIDENT permit for Michigan from when he was a resident there (at least, I'm assuming this is the case). He is no longer a RESIDENT of Michigan, so his Michigan RESIDENT license is no longer valid. It is, therefore, not valid in Colorado. He is carrying ILLEGALLY! (Unless I am mistaken and his Michigan license is a non-resident license.)
    Many states don't make any distinction between resident and non-resident licenses. My Utah permit, for instance, doesn't have any sort of resident/non-resident distinction. The only way for anyone to tell is to note that my home address is, in fact, in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle
    Many states don't make any distinction between resident and non-resident licenses.
    I understand that. I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but it is my understanding that Michigan does not issue licenses to non-residents. If that's the case, my guess is that a call to the Michigan authorities would confirm that once you are no longer a resident of Michigan, your Michigan license is no longer valid. That would be the case with a Colorado license, for which one of the requirements is proof of Colorado residency.

The main point, though, is that you need to know the rules for the license that you have, and for the jurisdiction that you are in. You cannot assume that, just because Colorado will recognize a Michigan license, your Michigan license automatically transfers to Colorado when you change your residency. You need to read and understand the laws, or consult an attorney, so that you KNOW FOR SURE what your status is. Relying solely on advice that you receive on the internet is also very, very dangerous.

Some of the info here should be useful.

As pointed out in another thread, the new Democratic state government is planning to introduce a bill forcing Colorado residents to get a Colorado permit. Might as well pony up the cash now and beat the rush.

Thank you guys so much for your input, I plan on getting a license here just as soon as I transfer all of my stuff (drivers license, plates, tags),and all that other stuff, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the hassles, if any and how long the wait is.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the MARINES don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan.

Remember your abilities AND disabilities can become Possibilities!

Semper Fi!

Links