Maybe Got a New Convert

This is a discussion on Maybe Got a New Convert within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I were riding back from dinner with another couple, who are both neighbors and friends. They recently bought a large RV and ...

Thread: Maybe Got a New Convert

Maybe Got a New Convert

My wife and I were riding back from dinner with another couple, who are both neighbors and friends. They recently bought a large RV and have made a few cross country trips with it. We were commenting on the recent articles in our local newspaper about the rise of gangs and related shootings in Palm Beach County, where we live. The wife then commented that she thought that they should buy a gun for when they travel. Since I was carrying , as I always am when we are out, my wife and I looked at it other and smiled. Her husband's response was that no good ever comes from guns. Without disclosing that I carry, or even own a gun, I then calmly asked whether he thought it was good when the gun is used to protect the life of someone who is the victim of a ramdom act of violence, such as an attempted car jacking, home invasion, or similar situation, or to prevent the rape of someones wife or daughter. There was a moment of silence after which he conceded that that would be a proper use of a gun. We then talked about the Second Amendment, about how gun control serves only to benefit the criminal element and leaves the law abiding citizens helpless, and since we are both seniors, I pointed out that as we get older we are viewed as weak and thus as potential prey by thugs.

By the time we got home, they had both decided that maybe getting a gun for protection was not such a bad idea after all.

This was the first time I had an opportunity to have this kind of discussion, and frankly felt real good that, even if I had not fully converted an anti into a pro gun advocate, I had, at the very least, caused them to think more carefully about their views on the subject.

Ron

2. Remove Ads

Great! If you've not already planned it, a great follow-up with them would be to suggest where they might get proper training.

Way to go...it's nice to hear stories of "converts"....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Agreed; maybe even before then, take 'em out shooting at the range. You've got their confidence now, someone else may not be as well trusted.

Great job!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Great! If you've not already planned it, a great follow-up with them would be to suggest where they might get proper training.

Way to go...it's nice to hear stories of "converts"....

VIP Member
    Nice "convert" story...thanks for sharing and great job.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Every little bit helps. Anything that will help to whittle down the anti opposition, or bring sanity back to good people.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Assistant Administrator
    Glad to hear Ron that logic prevailed - it does feel good when you see the light go on in someone's mind

Then of course - there are those who have a permanent short circuit - and never listen to reason
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey Ron...Ken Here...

Good job on the interaction with your friends.

We actually have relatives visiting us also (wife's sister and husband). She knows both my wife and I carry (my wife not a lot). While talking about weapons, the sister 'outlaw' asked about me always having a sidearm (sounds less threatening than a GUN)...I said yes, always. She remarked, in the house...here?...I said yes. Of course, she asked where it was, and so I exposed my Kimber Ultra...she gasped.......

As the afternoon progressed the sister-in-law went shopping with my wife... and her husband asked to go to the local gunshop because he felt that he should finally have a means of self-defense...

Hey, I'm half way there...

Take care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Great work, Ron and Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Agreed; maybe even before then, take 'em out shooting at the range. You've got their confidence now, someone else may not be as well trusted.

Great job!

Tony
    This is exactly what I was going to say. While you have their interest up, all it takes is another anti to engage in a similar conversation and he will be back against guns again. Let him know that if gets a CCW permit that he can also carry legally in many other states while they travel in their RV.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I was talking to my Orthotist the other day and I mentioned that I made my own holsters because he uses Kydex in his practice for back braces. He said that his father recently gave him a 10mm and was considering getting his CCW. I told him that I had one and that seemed to give him a little more incentive to pursue his because he knows someone else who has one.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

VIP Member
    Good stories. It's always good to hear about people converted peacefully instead of because something bad happened to them. Keep up the logical arguments.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Sounds like you handled that conversation very well. Always a good thing when logic and common sense win out over fear and emotion.
    "If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might, in a moral point of view, justify revolution." - Abraham Lincoln

That is a great way to handle that situation. I think you did a great job.

Now ask them at some point in the future if they would like to go to the range with you. I bet they would have a great time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just think, if everyone here could get a new convert or two in 2007 we'd really start to get some power. Great job guys!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Good job on the interaction with your friends.

We actually have relatives visiting us also (wife's sister and husband). She knows both my wife and I carry (my wife not a lot). While talking about weapons, the sister 'outlaw' asked about me always having a sidearm (sounds less threatening than a GUN)...I said yes, always. She remarked, in the house...here?...I said yes. Of course, she asked where it was, and so I exposed my Kimber Ultra...she gasped.......

As the afternoon progressed the sister-in-law went shopping with my wife... and her husband asked to go to the local gunshop because he felt that he should finally have a means of self-defense...

Hey, I'm half way there...

Take care...

ret
    Nice to hear from you Ken. Maybe there is hope yet. And by the way, let's not forget about trying to get a group together to have lunch and maybe do some shooting together.

Ron

Links