Getting caught carrying on 'posted' premises

This is a discussion on Getting caught carrying on 'posted' premises within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone here ever accidentally carried a concealed weapon onto premises that prohibit them and been caught? I don't, the only places I go that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone here ever accidentally carried a concealed weapon onto premises that prohibit them and been caught?

I don't, the only places I go that prohibit firearms are the Post Office (and I'm not going to mess with them) and restaurants that serve alcohol (this one annoys the hell out of me but I live with it).

But I'm sure there are those that forget sometimes, or flat out ignore the sign on the door and carry in places where the proprietor doesn't welcome them.
    I'm thinking stores mainly, not government buildings.

So if you have ever been caught you can answer this for me.
    What happened, did they ask you to leave?
    Did they call the Police?
    Or did nothing happen and the staff left you alone?

I'm really interested, I've never heard of anyone being thrown out of a store for CCW.

If you don't want to incriminate yourself or anyone else I will except stories about your second cousin's best friend.
    Last edited by rocky; January 7th, 2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: edit for clarity

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Yes they will ask you to leave they may hassel you further depending where you live. You need to know your state laws.

Is it worth losing your CCW license?

I follow the rules. You may not agree with them, but that's how it is.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    No, I have not carried in a PNC zone and therefore have not been caught. I don't go to such places, except rarely into the post office, which I enter disarmed (the recurring arguments over "or other lawful purpose" are not convincing to me either way).

As a kayaker mentioned, the consequences vary from state to state. The relevant CO statute is 18-12-214(5):
    "Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity."

So if one were detected carrying in a PNC business, the choice would probably be either to comply with a command to leave or to face a charge of some degree of criminal trespass.

wj
    With all that I went through, to get the license, I don't intend to"test the waters" and see if I can loose it.

I am aware of my State Laws, however I was wondering if the were actually implemented in non-Government establishments.

I'm not going to go out and break the law, and I'm not advocating that anyone else does.

Administrator
    it would depend on how far the "victim" wanted to push the issue.

Here in Missouri carrying in either a posted establishment or one of the places that are off limits in the statutes is NOT a criminal offence; all they can do is ask you to leave, if you refuse you can only be ticketed for trespass. That said I DO NOT give money to people that seek to deprive me of my rights and carry NO GUNS=NO MONEY cards to give out as I explain I am taking my business elsewhere, with the following exception: We have a regional "Big Box" type store that posted as soon as Missouri's CCW law went into effect (HQ in PDRIL, go figure), well they are going out of business and I have enjoyed picking the flesh from the bones of their dead carcass. As soon as the announcement of their “death” hit the paper I sent HQ a sympathy card with a NO GUNS=NO MONEY inside and explained that until they posted I had been a regular customer but stopped shopping at their store due to the posting .

For Christmas I got the wife a pearl pendent necklace with matching ear rings and ring and an emerald and diamond pendent necklace with matching ear rings and ring all at 75% off (Santa was a happy boy Christmas night ). Today I got her a 1 carat diamond solitaire ring for Valentines Day at 85% off ($3,500 ring for $525), all purchased while I was carrying. I am thinking of sending them a thank you card and pictures of my “pickings” with the explanation that I had stopped shopping them due to the anti-CCW posting and telling them just how much I enjoyed picking their carcass clean!

FL Food establishments

It is my understanding that here in FL if the restaurant is at least 51% food then carry is permited..... example: Ruby Tuesdays.

If I am wrong please let me know...

Thanks
    Zackeal

Know your state's laws.
    Ohio has penalties for getting caught in a Criminal Protection Zone.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Here in KS it would be a class B misdemeanor and probable loss of your CCL
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zackeal View Post
    It is my understanding that here in FL if the restaurant is at least 51% food then carry is permited..... example: Ruby Tuesdays.

If I am wrong please let me know...

Thanks
    Zackeal
    The Florida Statutes reads:
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    If the establishment primarily sells alcohol by the drink (Bar) you are better off not going in. You can argue with the cop that having a burguer in the Bar's bathroom falls under the part of the establishment NOT selling alcohol, but why be the test case? Any restaurant that sells alcohol will be OK as long as you do not sit at the restaurant's bar. Play it safe, get a table and don't visit bars, saloons and "gentelman's clubs" while packing.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I don't try to lose my CHP even though I don't agree with the premise. Yesterday I went to visit a co-worker at the hospital and lo and behold there was a "No Guns" restriction sign on the door. I had to return to the car which was parked quite a distance away. I guess criminals could go there armed any time they wish.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I have carried into a business that was posted by accident. I did not know the business was posted until we were about to leave. Here's how it happened:

It is the Value City Furniture store on Germantown Parkway over by the I-40 overpass in Bartlett Tennessee. We were looking for a new bedroom suit for my daughter. We went in and shopped, I was carrying my PT-111 on my right hip with an unbuttoned button up shirt on as a covering garment. My wife was carrying her snub nosed .357 in a purse designed for CCW.

My daughter found what she wanted and we talked to a sales associate about buying it. Total price was about $1400.00 and we thought we could live with that. I was nice stuff, and on sale.

As he was putting the order paperwork together I was just standing at the counter looking around. It was then that I noticed some text on the front doors near the bottom that had a gun above it. I walked over and it said something like "No Concealed guns on this property". So I went back to the counter and asked the sales guy about the sign and he said it was company policy.

I asked if that included people with carry permits or just pertained to people illegally carry a gun and he says "Any guns at all".

Then he shows me the purchase order for the bedroom suit and asks if I am ready to buy it.
    I told him, NOPE.
    He says HUH?
    I say, "I do not do business with anyone who has a problem with me exercising my constitutional rights."
    I took the purchase order and ripped it in to 3 or 4 pieces and then I told him we were going to one of their competitors and purchase furniture from them.
    He tried to save the sale by saying that we would pay more with their competitors (he was right but only by $100 or so) and I told him that did not matter to me. It was the principal of the thing that mattered to me.

We have not been back and they did not ask us if we were carrying. If they had asked us we would have said yes and just left.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Gotcha

That shouldn't be a problem for me seeing as how I don't drink or visit "gentelman's clubs"....

I have my CCW but have not carried yet due to the fact I don't have a holster (still on backorder) .... Though I am a little nervious about the first few times I carry... I assume I will get over thinking everyone is going to point at me screaming gun!!!!!.....

Thanks
    Zackeal

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Good show, PT111.

Way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links