Flashlights...what's the deal?

This is a discussion on Flashlights...what's the deal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel like I'm missing something because I just don't see the point of mounting a flashlight on a handgun, especially a carry weapon, but ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlights...what's the deal?

I feel like I'm missing something because I just don't see the point of mounting a flashlight on a handgun, especially a carry weapon, but even a "work" weapon. As such, I've never paid attention to whether I could mount a flashlight.

Can someone explain to me the real, non mall ninja reason and why it is better than having them separate?

Thanks.

-You can maintain two hands on your gun for proper handgun control.
    -The light illuminates your target.
    -The light blinds your target.
    -I'm sure others can add more reasons.

I personally do not have one but can see the benefits of one without being a, “mall Ninja”.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Not everyone can be a police officer or LEO. Does that make the rest of us "mall ninja's"?
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Lead Moderator
    Better weapon control, one hand free for opening doors, ect. , points where the bullet will impact.
    While wepon mounted lights are not for every one or every situation, with training they can be a valuable asset. (for me mostly HD)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    For a "work" weapon that you will take drawn and at the ready for room clearance (an offensive use of a arguebly defensive weapon) or as a back-up to a disabled offensive weapon that will not require a fast draw for quick self protection that you don't have to conceal , I can see the utility. For ccw, I question the practicability. But the beauty of a free society is to each their own.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I went to a site to look at a particular holster, liked what I saw, and looked around some more, and it mentioned having a flashlight on your person, and as someone mentioned, the reasoning was for blinding the BG.

BG is sneaking around your premises, it's dark, quiet... and he gets an extremely bright light in his dilated pupils, incapacitating him for at least a few seconds. You see him just fine, he's seeing really harsh light.

I thought of this myself recently when we had a power outage that lasted days. Walked home in PURE BLACKNESS (very scary), no firearm, but I had a nice bright little torch. I figured if nothing else, if BG jumped out of somewhere (I was in condition yellowish-orange), I could at least blind him.

Once the time comes, I'm definitely going to consider having something on my firearm, whatever that may be by then.
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

Administrator
    Aside from the reasons already mentioned, I like the fact that everything I need when something happens is right there. No fumbling for the gun, finding the flashilight etc. Its all right there and ready to go. Also, the whole package is easy to use one handed in case I need to open doors, restrain my dogs, use the phone etc. I dont have to trade off a tool in order to do those things.

A side note, the extra weight out front near the muzzle reduces your muzzle flip a lot.
    I don't think its very practical for CCW use, but if you dont mind the extra weight and bulk, go for it.

I can see the benifits of a weapon mounted light. I personally don't use one. I may be just overly cautious but I want to be certain I have identified the "bump in the night as a threat" before I cover it with the muzzle. A flashlight that is not mounted on my weapon allows me to do that.
    "If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might, in a moral point of view, justify revolution." - Abraham Lincoln

I'd encourage you to do some low- and no-light shooting using a handheld flashlight. You'll immediately figure out that you could shoot a lot better if you didn't have to worry about how to manage the light, but focus on your shooting.

I've shot three IDPA matches in low light, and it's tough to score anything like you do with a solid two hand grip. Also, I've got a friend with an indoor range built under his home and I've done a bit of shooting in darkness there with a light mounted on my Beretta. Trust me, it's so much easier with a house gun like this one:

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    All of the plus sides are thrown out the window for me when it comes to one simple problem. With a weapon mounted light you have to point the weapon at something to see what it is. Doesn't sound like you're following the 4 rules too well at that point.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    JimmyC quote: Trust me, it's so much easier with a house gun like this one.

Well said, JimmyC. A CCW carry weapon its not!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I've got a light mounted on my nightstand G21. I figure it would be one less thing for me to find when I need it in the dark and in a half-groggy state of being woken up. Do I have a flashlight mounted to my CCW? No. I've shot several IDPA matches with a Surefire handheld light, using the harris technique. I feel confident using it at up-close distances.

Just to share my own opinion on being a mall ninja. This isn't to bust anyone's balls, but I don't think using or owning any one thing can specifically contribute to becoming a mall ninja. Rather it's a combination of gear, clothing, and attitude that make it up.

A prudent gun owner would say "I have a flashlight attached to my gun because it allows both hands to control recoil" or "I have a flashlight attached to my gun because I may need my other hand to hold my cell phone to call the cops."

A mall ninja would say "I have a flashlight attached to my gun becuase I will have my FN Five-seveN with IR illuminator in my other hand."
    Last edited by razorblade; January 7th, 2007 at 09:34 PM.

Having cleared a house with a gun with a mounted light and done the same thing (at a different time) without a mounted light, I can tell you it is a ton easier to clear a building with the mounted light.

The down side to it is, if you use the light to illuminate anything, you are pointing a loaded gun at what ever you are looking at. But, with proper trigger finger control (up on the frame off the trigger unless you are about to fire) there isn't too much of a problem.

Still, I carry a flashlight on my belt even if I am carrying a gun with a mounted light.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have an M&P .40 with a gun light, but can't find a gunny sack holster that fits with the light attached. Any recommendations?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    All of the plus sides are thrown out the window for me when it comes to one simple problem. With a weapon mounted light you have to point the weapon at something to see what it is. Doesn't sound like you're following the 4 rules too well at that point.

If you properly using a flashlight in a tactical situation, you dont want to use it to peer around, looking only where the beam is.
    Use your light to flood the room, not focus in one particular location.
    Try this at home with a regular flashlight... instead of looking around your dark home with your light like the Scooby Doo clan would, point the light upward towards the ceiling. This will light up the room, allowing you to see the entire room at once, not just the small area your light is pointing at.
    Same principle will work for a light mounted weapon. Hold your pistol in a retention position, and have your forearm angled upward so you light is broadcasting out and upward. This allows you to have your pistol in the proper position for a search, your not having to point your pistol at a family member who got up to eat the last piece of cake in the middle of the night. Think of your flashlight more as a torch.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links