How much do you share with others about your gun use/awareness/practice/etc??

This is a discussion on How much do you share with others about your gun use/awareness/practice/etc?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm at dinner last night and my boss and two colleagues are there. (I've know 2 of the 3 for 10+ years) A discussion ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: How much do you share with others about your gun use/awareness/practice/etc??

How much do you share with others about your gun use/awareness/practice/etc??

So, I'm at dinner last night and my boss and two colleagues are there. (I've know 2 of the 3 for 10+ years) A discussion about the work policy of not allowing us as to "carry" even if we are legally allowed to do arose. This job requires extensive travel, various states, and is not in a typical 9-5 situation; We are also a very tight knit group (think like a group of firemen that live together, know families etc) It wasn't a heated discussion at all but I was the only one at the table that had ever shot a weapon. The questions continued....more from a curiosity standpoint...before I knew it I was knee deep into the fact I enjoy shooting, I go to the range, I have several weapons. No one seemed shocked but after I left the group I wondered if I shared too much. Again, this is not your typical 9-5, we spend a lot of time together, but curious if y'all share your passion about guns with friends/colleagues?
    Phaedrus, Old Sarge and RickyD like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    There are a very select few who know I even own guns and I never admit such things to anyone who could "out" me; especially a superior who is constrained by policy.

This is an important topic.

I do not believe you divulged too much, but if you think you did just don't mention it again LOL.

More me personally, the guys I work with know I shoot, but that's pretty much it. I don't talk about it at work, only to one or two other "gun" people I work with. I've never been one to blab on about my hobbies to people who aren't interested in the same. It's a waste of time and usually you are just an earful to the other person. When it comes to concealed carry though, nobody knows I even have a license and that I do it save my Father/Mother/Sister and Uncle... all of whom live 400 miles away LOL. Nobody at all knows I carry except me where I am living.

I intend to keep it that way!
    tony1990 likes this.

I'm a retired cop so with colleagues, of course. With friends, close friends, it's rarely come up but when it does, I will share some. If the conversation turns political, I'll speak my peace some too.

What always aggravates me though is what they say in giving me a pass. Often, people will say, "well, you're a retired officer. You should be able to carry. It's the other people that I'm not so sure."

We all have the right. I carried once out of duty and necessity. I carry now for the same reason as anyone else. I am "the other people."

My advise moving forward would be to share as little as possible but at the same time, take pride in exercising your right.

Only my closer friends know, like maybe 6 or 7 people. Don't plan on ever telling anyone else.

VIP Member
    I do not believe there's anyone that knows both my first and last names that doesn't know I own guns. Take those names and spend enough time on google and you'll find out that my email and phone number are available on the NRA website. I don't hide who I am and don't really worry too much about it.
    Recon1342, tcbrad98, virg and 1 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    There are a very select few who know I even own guns and I never admit such things to anyone who could "out" me; especially a superior who is constrained by policy.
    I think this is good personal policy regarding information security.
    One never knows what anyone else will do with inside information about someone else's life.
    The way John Q. Public is becoming, the less people know about yer likes and dislikes, the safer you are.
    Even close friends and relatives can (and will) turn on ya, given circumstances become uncomfortable or insecure for them.
    You are having one of those "gut feelings". There's a reason for that.
    The old saying goes, "if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't."

Sent from phone.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Just my wife.

Those who really know me know and those who don't, don't.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    th0rr and Pinot like this.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    If you don't or do not plan on carrying around them or on the job, talk away. If it's another way...Act as stupid as needed and never tell.

Now days there is us (pro gun,pro RTKAB) and there is them (anti gun anti RTKAB). Heck even some of those claiming to be us are more on the them side of the fence.

Personally I only associate with folks squarely in the us camp. Got no time for those that want to weaken and regulate our RTKAB.

Even with them only a select few know how I train or how often or exactly what amount of firepower I carry though they know I carry all the time.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Very few, there are something's I don't even tell myself.

Quote Originally Posted by B31 View Post
    So, I'm at dinner last night and my boss and two colleagues are there. (I've know 2 of the 3 for 10+ years) A discussion about the work policy of not allowing us as to "carry" even if we are legally allowed to do arose. This job requires extensive travel, various states, and is not in a typical 9-5 situation; We are also a very tight knit group ...
    The risk is, in a "job" type arrangement, that someone who dislikes the idea of folks believing anything positive about weapons might well lash out. Can occur in other relationships we have, too, but in an employer/employee situation it can cost you your employment if the "wrong" person gets his knickers in a wad over the concept, merely because of knowing you're one of "those" who believe weapons aren't all bad like their worldview claims them to be. With family, some can effectively disown you. With others, friendships can be harmed.

If you're comfortable with that part of the risk, then there's not much to worry about.

Many don't care much, one way or the other. But for some, such impacts can be damaging. Up to you, to make that call. Of course, your position is now well known, up to and including your own manager, and no telling how far the information's going to go once in the hands of others.

Hopefully, the folks you work with are honorable in the classic sense of the term. That's about all you can wish for.

In future, consider why many subscribe to this simple precept: C.A.N.T. --- Carry Always, Never Tell.
    pscyclepath likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by B31 View Post
    So, I'm at dinner last night and my boss and two colleagues are there. (I've know 2 of the 3 for 10+ years) A discussion about the work policy of not allowing us as to "carry" even if we are legally allowed to do arose. This job requires extensive travel, various states, and is not in a typical 9-5 situation; We are also a very tight knit group (think like a group of firemen that live together, know families etc) It wasn't a heated discussion at all but I was the only one at the table that had ever shot a weapon. The questions continued....more from a curiosity standpoint...before I knew it I was knee deep into the fact I enjoy shooting, I go to the range, I have several weapons. No one seemed shocked but after I left the group I wondered if I shared too much. Again, this is not your typical 9-5, we spend a lot of time together, but curious if y'all share your passion about guns with friends/colleagues?
    I have the same situation at school. I mention owning a firearm then regret it because I remember I'm at a liberal university campus and even if my colleagues mean well, it does make you stand out when you're the only one in the building who has admitted to liking guns.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Seems to be a bit of a two edged sword.

1) I fully understand the desire of people to remain quiet about their gun ownership; but if anyone feels they are off the radar..well; that's naive'.

It is no secret I own guns to people who know me.

Now, the gov knows I own guns..The gov knows plenty about me if they desire to look....though some don't want to share their enjoyment of owning guns with their friends? Hmmm?

2) Many people know I am a photographer; so naturally I get asked constantly "Can you take a pic of this or that"..or "Can you help me with my new whiz-bang-o-matic camera?"

Seems if our friends or relatives know we enjoy shooting; maybe..just maybe we can add another to the ranks of ownership, shooting sports, CC etc.
    ILoveSigs, B31, Recon1342 and 2 others like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links