embarassed and disgusted with myself

This is a discussion on embarassed and disgusted with myself within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really screwed up today. I had to attend a funeral today so naturally this threw me out of my normal clothing routine. I usually ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: embarassed and disgusted with myself

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

embarassed and disgusted with myself

I really screwed up today.

I had to attend a funeral today so naturally this threw me out of my normal clothing routine.

I usually am in jeans and an untucked polo. I found a nice pair of pant in the closet that were left over from the days when I had to wear dress clothes to work. I actually had to go to the store and buy a shirt. The pants were a bit snug to say the least. Like stuffing 50 pounds into a 30 pound container.

I usually carry my 642 strong side OWB about 4 oclock. I do not have a jacket and i knew the funeral home was going to be hot. I am a big guy and I sweat easily. You other big guys know what I mean.

So OWB is out and MY IWB is not tuckable. So I decided to just slip the pistol into my right pocket. Perfect! I slipped it into the watch pocket and it covered nicely. No printing.

You were thinking I had an issue at the funeral home? No. Everything went fine as it should have.

So on the way home I decide to stick my head into the local mattress store and look at the foam mattresses. I have had some serious back pain lately due to a worn out mattress.

So who can go to the mattress store without trying them out? All was well until I got to the 3rd bed. I lay down... stretch out and relax. Nice feels good. Problem is that the salesman tells me this set is 3200.00. ARG!

So I stand up and as I do I feel the 642 slip from my pocket and THUD! IT HITS THE FLOOR! Right in front of me and the salesman. I swear I almost has a heart attack right there.

I played it cool and said "whoops that not good is it?". I picked up the piece and placed it in my pocket again. This time all the way down in the bottom. I keep talking about the mattresses. All the time I am dying inside. I looked at a another and the nasal spray falls out of my other pocket. The guy says "you must have holes in your pockets". I said " yea and the stuff that is not supposed to fall out is falling out". He laughed. I didn't

At this point I am DONE. What the hell else is going to jump from my pockets?

All the way home I am cussing and contemplating whether I am going to post a thread about this here. I decided no, due to the fact that I am too embarrassed. I obviously changed my mind. I figured that some one may be able to learn from my mistake.

I expect to take a thrashing, but I deserve it. I feel like an idiot. I know accidents happen, but damn.

Bottom line is that I screwed up. There were many different paths to take. I could have left my piece at home or left it in the car while looking at beds.

Life lessons are hard.

I just glad the store was empty and he was not a crazy sheep.

Ok... everyone take aim.... and .... FIRE!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I would have apologized to the salesman. Did you?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Oh yes. You have no idea.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

A learning experience.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I wouldn't have... he didn't do anything wrong or illegal. If the salesman didn't like it, too bad. If someone is offended by seeing my weapon, they can deal with it. I make an effort to keep it covered, but hey, s**t happens.

Stuff happens, we learn from it and we try to not let it happen again. Sounds like an honest mistake that I bet you won't repeat! Nothing and no one hurt, that's the best part.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I too see no reason to apologize, knowing me I would probably make a joke about it and go on. No need to beat yourself up, you learned a lesson now go on.
    Take Care
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I agree that accidental exposure of a pistol in the USA is probably now illegal only in WI and IL (ask Chicago Bear Tank Johnson). I say "probably" because there could be some state law unknown to me that includes a criminal penalty.

So just consider it an embarrassment to try to forget; the embarrassment is the worst part of this incident. I have no doubt you will never do this again!

Quote Originally Posted by devilmutt View Post
    A learning experience.
    Bingo!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Lead Moderator
    live and learn
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator

Wink

Dress Pants...doncha hate them with those flimsy, thin, shallow, ill designed useless pockets & wimpy "way too thin/narrow" belt loops ???

They were obviously designed by Liberal Left Wing anti~gun clothing designers who never even shot a firearm before....let alone ever carried one.

Why should I ever wear their silly "good for nothing" Sheeple Pants?

Funerals...I usually wear a pair of pressed "dress black" 5.11 pants coupled with a nice shirt, jacket & tie.
    As long as you go and "pay your respects" that is what is important.
    Not what style of pants you have on.
    I wear what I want to wear & anybody that does not like it then screw them.

I never wear traditional "suit" pants anymore.

I think your scenario could have been lots worse if the salesperson would have spazzed out and hit 911 and you ended up getting "wrist slapped" by a LEO.
    It turned out OK though all things considered.

At least you were not counting Sheeple
    (1) (2) (3) (4) when you were testing that mattress out.

Go buy a pair of black tactical pants.
    Send them to the dry cleaners & get them pressed with a nice perfect crease and then keep them in the closet & you'll be ready for the next funeral.

Lead Moderator
    Not a big problem, as long as you learned something from it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Oops. Gun without a holster. Yeah, the funny thing about wisdom is that it exists on the far side of experience. Consider yourself wiser.

Suggestion for a good pocket holster for the 642: Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy. A mite expensive, but it's very capable, lasts forever, is comfortable, and works every time.

While I haven't always been able to do it, I try very hard to pre-fit every clothing combination that will be called upon to do carry duty. That gets around the risks of the clothing not fitting, not supporting the 1.5" belt, "printing" while worn, etc. That includes ensuring compatibility and function with the desired mode of carry with that garment (ie, IWB, OWB, pocket). Of course, there have been a few times I didn't double-check a garment prior to purchase or wearing, but it hasn't yet bitten me given that an alternative was hanging right there on the rack in the closet. Short of doing is this way, I can't imagine how to ensure that a given combo won't work properly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMO At least its a valuble lesson learned harmlessly, At least you did not find yourself in a scuffle and reach for your firearm only to find it was half a block away where it fell out .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    I expect to take a thrashing, but I deserve it. I feel like an idiot. I know accidents happen, but damn.
    For what,

How does that old saying go, glass houses and throwing stones, It happens, Anyone getting thrown out of their normal routine can and a lot of times does get caught off guard.

As others have said, it's a learning experience.

Besides, if we give you a hard time, Murphy's law will bite is in the rear, and we will surely have it happen to us in the near future.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links