Anything happening in Nebraska?

This is a discussion on Anything happening in Nebraska? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How are things in Nebraska as far as CCW permits? I understand that Nebraska's carry law became effective last week. Are things going well there? ...

Thread: Anything happening in Nebraska?

Anything happening in Nebraska?

How are things in Nebraska as far as CCW permits? I understand that Nebraska's carry law became effective last week. Are things going well there? Any word on Nebraska having reciprocity with any other states? Or honoring any other state's permits?
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

2. Remove Ads

I've been trying to keep up with the news, so I guess I'll reply.

8 days into the new year and there's nothing to report.

A few people tried to get their permit without taking the required class, they thought their hunter safety class was sufficient, but nothing else news worthy.

I was told that the Nebraska law specificly states that they will not honor other states CCW, only there own. That was what I was told third party but have no reason to doubt him. Somebody up there might want to take a quick look at the text of your legislation an see.

Nebraska will not issue non-resident permits nor will they recognize permits issued by other states.

That is the current law in Neb. So until that is changed they'll be no carry in Neb. for non-residents.

Thats what I had been told. Thanks for the verification.

Assistant Administrator
    First Applicants Defend Carry

KETV7.com

Carry applications were issued for more than 60 Nebraskans during the first day under a new law on January 4.

http://www.ketv.com/news/10670049/detail.html
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hi - I am from Nebraska. I'm taking my ccw class this Saturday, the 13th. You can find some good info on the state patrol's website. http://www.nsp.state.ne.us then click on the programs/services menu on the left and then conceal carry menu. That's about all I know for now.

Curious if there is an active concealed carry group or website/forum in Nebraska?

Are there any efforts (grassroots or otherwise) to change things to allow for reciprocity with other states?
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    Curious if there is an active concealed carry group or website/forum in Nebraska?

Are there any efforts (grassroots or otherwise) to change things to allow for reciprocity with other states?
    I am pretty sure there is a forum for Nebraska CCW, but I am not 100% positive. It seems as though I have been on it a time or two.
    "Let's be careful out there!"
    Sgt. Esterhaus

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

been wondering about Nebraska too

Earlier messages in this thread seem to indicate that NE started issuing applications for CCW permits only in 2007, unlike KS where the applications were available in 2006 and permits started being issued in early 2007. I speculate that no NE permit has been issued yet, since a period of at least several weeks is probably required to process an application.

Nebraska applicants: please inform us when you begin to receive the permits, or if you already have one.

Rallyman is correct regarding reciprocity: I read the new NE CCW laws and saw no provision for reciprocity. There is a provision stating that nonNE permits are not recognized. We must wait until when (or if) the law is amended in the future. Nebraskans can carry outside of Nebraska only in Alaska, Vermont, and a few other states that unilaterally recognize the NE CCW permit. At least it's a start.
    Last edited by Anubis; February 11th, 2007 at 11:15 AM.

There is at least one forum for Nebraska CCW that I know of:

http://p207.ezboard.com/bccwnebraska

And permits have been issued.

Better Than Nothing...

but not much...it's a small start...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Nebraska legislature has a preemption bill in the Judiciary Committee, LB695, to overrule cities anti ccw laws and make it truely a state law. The original bill didn't do that. There are about 16 cities with their own laws against ccw. We are hoping that it makes it through and gets passed. If you are from Nebraska, please contact the senators on the judiciary committee and your own senator to support this bill.
    Here are the members of the J.C.
    Chairman: Sen. Brad Ashford, Omaha
    Vice-chairman Sen. Steve Lathrop, Omaha
    Sen. Ernie Chambers, Omaha
    Sen. Vickie D. McDonald, St. Paul
    Sen. Amanda McGill, Lincoln
    Sen. Dwite Pedersen, Elkhorn
    Sen. Pete Pirsch, Omaha
    Sen. DiAnna Schimek, Lincoln

Here is the website of the Nebraska legislature: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/web/public/home

You can get contact info for all of the above.

As far as how everything else is going, as of Feb. 9th there has been 452 applicants and 230 permits issued.
    Here is a story that has the anti's up in arms already.
    http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...1978867413.txt

But, the guy is going to get what he deserves and the system worked, just not quite before he got his Permit.

The asst. Police Chief of Lincoln let his views on the new law be known:
    http://www.chadrad.com/newsstory.cfm?story=6020

He is very anti ccw and doesn't have a problem trying to paint us as a bunch of idiots.

That is all the updates I know of, besides I applied on Jan. 3rd and received my CHP on Jan. 25th, I live in one of the cities that prohibit CCW sooooo, I drive to the next town to do my business now.

on the issue of grassroots efforts in Nebraska. There are some, but if you ask me it's more on a individual basis. I honestly don't feel like there's much organized effort on a bigger scale. There's a website for concealed carry in nebraska http://www.ccwne.com but honestly I don't feel like it's done anything to put people together as one voice. There are only like 118 registered users.

We seriously need some sort of organized group with a little power to tackle our issues. I really think we're lacking that right now.

We have a few problems in the way the law currently is.

1: Cities are allowed to can concealed carry, and on top of that they are able to enact their own stupid laws like registration.. no transporting of firearms from 10pm to 7am. In one city you are able to own your gun, then because of a charge that the state of nebraska doesn't care about.. still allowing you to own guns.. you enter Lincoln and they strip that right away from you. We need preemption.

2: There is no reciprocity, so without that there's not a whole lot o chances of us having any other state recognize our permits..except for states that honor all permits anyways.

3: In Nebraska we have the affirmative defense law. Basically means that if you are conducting any lawful business and choose to carry around a firearm, you can do so. The catch with it however, is if you are caught you have to prove your innocence in court.. they may rule that affirmative defense was a justified reason for you carrying, or they may deny you it and charge you for carrying concealed without a permit. The one thing that REALLY bothers me with this law, is someone carrying under that statute can carry pretty much everywhere. The "no guns" signs posted on stores, they can ignore them. Same as criminals. They will not be charged with a violation of state statute by carrying on a posted property.

What's really bad about that is the permit holders have to obey those signs. The way the law was written did NOT strip our right to affirmative defense away just because we would have a permit. But the state patrol took it upon itself to write this into the rules & regulations. It originally read that nothing in LB454 would prevent someone from carrying under affirmative defense. NSP decided to add except for those carrying with a permit. I don't see the legality of that. They aren't a legislative body. So now we, the ones who pay money, prove we are good through background checks, are the ONLY ones who get charged with a crime for violating no gun signs posted. Criminals, and affirmative defense can just ignore them and only risk being charged for carrying concealed if affirmative defense doesn't work out for them, and tresspassing if they choose not to leave a place when asked.

Links