Have you been "made" by someone bumping into you?

This is a discussion on Have you been "made" by someone bumping into you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After an incident recently I was wondering how often a person "bumps into" a concealed handgun and at the very least gives you an odd ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

After an incident recently I was wondering how often a person "bumps into" a concealed handgun and at the very least gives you an odd look. - Not that they know for sure you are carrying but they seem to wonder what it was that they felt.

My reason for asking?

I was in a VERY crowded McDonalds with my Ruger 345 OWB at 3:30 and covered with a light jacket. Despite the large crowd mostly waiting for orders to be filled two small children (a boy and a girl) were running in the seating area occasionally running around people in the crowded counter area.

Suddenly I hear a little "pop" at the same time that my holster tries to make a shift forward!

The little girl had come flying around the condiment stand and hit her mouth (teeth?) on the butt of my Ruger as she tried to squeeze by at full speed. She spun to her left and fell backward against another customer.

She looked back toward me and moved her hand away from her mouth. I first thought it was catsup all over her mouth but then as she ran away I realized it was blood. Several other customers gave me a strange look - I guess they were wondering how that all happened. Don't know if they thought "GUN!" or what...

It happened really quickly. I don't know where she went. I didn't follow her. Maybe I should have.

Has anyone ever bumped your CCW and possibly been alerted that you might be carrying?

(Any comments on my situation with the little girl also appreciated!)

Thanks!

VIP Member
    Little girl should have been kept under control by her parents.

I keep my carry about the same place you do, but IWB. I also keep my multi-tool in its pouch right behind it. If I ever need to explain a bumping or printing, the tool is right there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    I have had the occasional glancing impact but none that made me feel I'd been actually ''made''. I as most I expect, take great care to avoid such but even so it happens - too much trying to avoid could ultimately be so obvious anyways it'd give game away!

The little girl instance - well I guess it was obvious to all she had hit something less than forgiving but whether they assumed gun is speculation. One of us would have of course Others maybe thought pager, cell phone, multi-tool etc.

Hopefully the worst she suffered was a small lip cut from a tooth - easily happens but looks worse than it is.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yep, she should have not been acting as she was running around.
    You could be carrying anything on you from a cellphone or RIM to a portable insulin injection unit to whatever, aside from a 'gun', and the results would be same.

Insulin pump

- Janq doesn't allow his kid to run around in stores
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You guys are right. I guess it goes back to when you first carry - you know.. you think EVERYONE is staring at you and you're just waiting for the police to tackle you for some unknown reason.

Yes, it COULD have been anything. The gun was never exposed and I merely stood there (a little surprised). I would have probably assisted the little girl (as I would anyone that was injured or had fallen down) but she took off before anyone could do anything.

Chris is probably right. She probably cut her lip on her teeth. I was there long enough for the parents to have said something - to me or at least the management but never saw her or heard anything else.

At least it gave me a little extra confidence in my Galco Cop 3-slot holster and belt. It didn't move that I could tell. I felt bad about it but I blame the parents (wherever they were) since this had been going on since I came into the restaurant and they had to know the children were doing this. (I assumed they were siblings but don't know for sure of course.)

"I was there long enough for the parents to have said something - to me or at least the management but never saw her or heard anything else."

They were too afraid of you to say anything because you were carrying a gun. Just kidding. I have to admit I have never had anyone ram their face into my gun before. I've been bumped but never noticed any reaction from the offending party.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    JW, sounds like someone should have done a better job disciplining her kid, if she could come running around the inside of a crowded McDonalds hard enough to cut her lip running into the butt of your gun!

Last weekend, on New Year's Eve, my girlfriend and I were down in Delray Beach for a street celebration. We were watching a band play on the sidewalk, and at one point she came up from behind me to get my attention, and put her grasp right on my hip where my Glock 27 was riding. I was startled and wheeled around to retain it (of course) and when I saw it was her I kind of shouted at her. She then claimed she didn't know it was there. Well, she should have. She knows I wouldn't go somewhere like that without it, so where else would it be?!

I've been bumped by people a number of times, but I've never observed that I was "made" as a result.

Over the last few years, I've started to be sure my strong side arm is hanging down when in a close crowd, as in a checkout line or when leaving church, etc. It doesn't look strange, and in those situations, assures that there are no "bumps".
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That is why I've been playing with appendix carry. I can "cover" my gun with a hand in my pocket or my arm. I've been bumped numerous times, & haven't noticed anyone having the expression that they thought I was carrying.

As to the little girl, ditto on that her parents should've been more responsible. We would all like to think our children know better, but we still need to do our part too. It would make me feel bad that she got hurt, but I would've disciplined my daughter. Privately, of course, & after I made sure she wasn't seriously injured.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member
    I've traveled in very crowded NYC subways and commercial air with my duty gun and haven't been bumped so I always thought myself "safe" from "discovery" in this fashion....only to get "bumped" by a woman in a mall not looking where she was walking....when she slammed against my firearm, she spun around and glared at me....well, I counter-glared, but no words were spoken.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

No one but the wife. She sometimes check to make sure I'm packing... my handguns!

The little girl may have learned something... most likely not but you never know.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Back when I carried OWB, I was walking in a mall with my daughter and I was struck on my weapon by a woman wildly swinging her hands as she walked by. It must of hurt her as she grabbed her hand and asked very loudly (at least it seemed to me) what I had there. I told her a "tactical nuclear weapon" and as she stood there stunned, I quickly moved on. Nothing else was said. Didn't know what else to say!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I've not been bumped into but I have bumped my gun against doorways and other things and sometimes it has made a loud noise. I don't know what people were thinking when I did that.

More and more I'm seeing kids running around, usually screaming, with no parents in sight.

I was made once by a aunt who gave me a sneak attack hug. Before I could try to steer the hug away from my gun she put her arm / hand right on the gun. She played it off real well but I could tell she knew what it was.

She asked me about it later when when there weren't so many other people around and I told that it was a gun and that was when I fount out my aunt carries too! Cool huh?

I have also bumped the gun into door jams and other object when trying to negotiate a narrow passage or something. No one ever seems to know what that loud thump was. If they ever do ask, I'll just say it was my cell phone.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As to the little girl, ditto on that her parents should've been more responsible. We would all like to think our children know better ...
    Children never know better, unless they're taught. Obviously, in this case the absent parents were minus one set of responsibility "meters" between them. Can't imagine what the parents would have said to management, other than "I apologize for the disruption my child and our negligence has caused." That would be refreshingly nostalgic, that degree of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    No one ever seems to know what that loud thump was. If they ever do ask, I'll just say it was my cell phone.
    Hard to blame 20 LPI marks on the Blackberry, though, eh?

Have yet to be "made," so far as I know. I've been doin' a bit of "squeaking" the past several weeks, with a newer holster. It won't quiet down properly, so it's relegated to use in larger, noisier public places only, until that's resolved.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links