Traveling

This is a discussion on Traveling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am traveling from Florida to north Carolina. Then from North Carolina to Missouri. I have a Florida CCW Permit and I have looked into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Traveling

Traveling

I am traveling from Florida to north Carolina. Then from North Carolina to Missouri. I have a Florida CCW Permit and I have looked into it but I am having a hard time understanding how I can and cannot carry while traveling or while I am there. I will be going thou GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, IL, MO. any help or information you could give me would be a big help.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally, latest law passed notwithstanding, I would bypass IL even if it meant driving a longer distance. I've actually done that!

Oh - and Welcome to the Forum!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Yeah skip IL an not sure about MO

Ty and I will bypass it then

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    You may not exit your vehicle with a concealed firearm in Illinois if you do not have an Illinois CCL.

You may unload and remove the firearm and secure it in a container or locked vehicle if you must exit the vehicle for any reason.

Your out of state CCW permit means nothing in Illinois except it allows you to travel through the state concealing in your vehicle.

Stop for gas at the Illinois state line on the Indiana side and then in St. Louis. If you get stopped for speeding or anything else, don't let them sucker you into getting out of the vehicle without securing your firearm. Bang, instant Class 4 felony.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member
    Lot's of different rules by state - too many to list here. Look at Handgunlaw.us or the app CCW if you need information. Each is easy to use and pretty up to date.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    You may not exit your vehicle with a concealed firearm in Illinois if you do not have an Illinois CCL.

You may unload and remove the firearm and secure it in a container or locked vehicle if you must exit the vehicle for any reason.

Your out of state CCW permit means nothing in Illinois except it allows you to travel through the state concealing in your vehicle.

Stop for gas at the Illinois state line on the Indiana side and then in St. Louis. If you get stopped for speeding or anything else, don't let them sucker you into getting out of the vehicle without securing your firearm. Bang, instant Class 4 felony.
    Yep this is right on the Illinois,as far as mo goes we honor all states permits.

I remember someone's account of an out-of-stater being at a traffic stop in the Chicago area and that person carrying on their states CHL. The driver notified the officer. He didn't even ask to see his CHL. Officer said just to make sure he stays in his vehicle while armed and to have a nice day.

So a positive story of interaction while carrying on an another states CHL, even near Chicago.

I might add that I frequent the Illinoiscarry.com forum and there have been a number of posts about interactions with police when carrying. There has yet to be a horror story, even from Chicago. The farther from Chicago, of course, the less likely you'll have a bad interaction with police.
    Smokewagon likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    There won't be any problem in my town. Three of the town's officers teach a CCL class. Very pro-gun, pro-self defense, and pro-2nd Amendment around these parts.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepon35s View Post
    I am traveling from Florida to north Carolina. Then from North Carolina to Missouri. I will be going thou GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, IL, MO.
    If your CHL's and non-res CHL's support carry in all of those states, great.

IL is the obvious exception. But then, they have peaceable journey laws now written into their statutes that should protect you just fine. Plenty of people do this. I'd just as soon head around, myself, but that's not always possible. And so, while going through there, unload, lock it up in the trunk, and sleep well, then re-arm once 5ft beyond the state line into MO.

Handgunlaw.us is a good place to start, then dive into each of the state statutes for each of the states you'll be heading through. Be aware of the basic places you are prohibited from going to while armed, the basic differences in the use-of-force statutes. Ensure your CHL is fully recognized by the state you're heading through. For example, some have the non-res UT CHL, but some states only recognize UT residents, not merely folks who have a non-res UT.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Greetings from Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Pay particular attention to how the different states treat rest stops. Some states consider rest stops to be government buildings where carry is restricted.
    ccw9mm, Mr45 and StormRhydr like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Pay particular attention to how the different states treat rest stops. Some states consider rest stops to be government buildings where carry is restricted.
    Peaceable journey, though you are criminalized for stopping to relieve yourself. Pretty sad. But, true in some states.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    deleted- cause I messed up.

FL & SC are reciprocal. GA is still an outcast state.
    Last edited by tcox4freedom; June 9th, 2014 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I have to admit, I did not know that one. Man alive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links