Philosophy Of Concealed Carry Gun Selection

This is a discussion on Philosophy Of Concealed Carry Gun Selection within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since were being worry warts what about Tatoo's Think they could be held against you ? :eviltongu...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy Of Concealed Carry Gun Selection

Since were being worry warts what about Tatoo's Think they could be held against you ? :eviltongu

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Wow where do i get some grip panels like that?!! Just kidding. i like to leave my carry guns mostly stock too. As I am a left handed shooter, i need some modifiications. As for lasers , from what I have learned , they seem to be a hinderance than a help. To each their own ,b ut same as night sights, I don't need em.

Administrator

Tattoos

Tattoos should be limited to American Flags, American Bald Eagles, "MOTHER" (inside of a heart) & various military insignia.
    Flowers ~ little puppy dogs and....MICKEY & MINNIE MOUSE are also A-OK. :poke:
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The only alteration to a carry gun I'll consider is night sights. I'm MAYBE considering adding a set of Laser Grips. This could act considerably well to DE-escalate a hostile confrontation. Numerous force on force situations are emerging from the field to suggest that this indeed may be the case.

As for grips, for me they only serve to enhance shooting not aesthetics. A rubber Hogue grip is good for shooting comfort, but it tends to cause a cover garment to hang up.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

1952 - 2006
    I agree with most of what has been said in the preceding posts. I DO have tritium night sights on both of my carry guns as well as custom grips. On my Custom 1911 I have 5th Special Forces logos inlaid in a pair of Carbon Creation carbon fiber grips and on my Kimber a set of Ultra Thin Ranger grips (pic below). I don't think these would cause anyone any problems. Both guns have 3 1/2 lb trigger pulls, my pals in the PD say this won't present a problem either. I personally don't like laser sights because I think they act the same way tracer bullets do, ie. they not only show your target but they point out your location as well, very well in fact. If you are behind cover or seeking it the last thing you want is for the BG's to have a spotlight showing exactly where you are.
    That's my 2 cents worth for ya.
    Attached Images
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I just had another thought on the subject.

Now this depends entirely on where you live, but when you see the local news (assuming you can actually get the local news and aren't stuck with crappy satellite service like I am), what's the icon they put on the screen for any kind of crime report?

Typically, it's a black plastic Glock-esque automatic pistol, or a 1911 style auto. Do you want to be carrying a gun that Joe Sixpack equates with a crime?

Now if that's not a problem where you live (I'm probably okay), good on ya.

There's long been a school of thought that rustic looking walnut stock/blued steel guns in familiar platforms like the double action revolver and lever action rifle should be the guns of choice in a self defense situation because the anti gun people are mostly concerned about what the gun looks like. I can't say I entirely disagree since most gun legislation is about aesthetics and controlling other people.

Of course that's not going to keep me from using a politically incorrect gun if I need to, but these are just some idle Monday morning musings.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Of course, the Glock and the 1911 is also the kind of gun that the nice policemen all over the courthouse will be carrying. . . .

I don't worry about it. A good shoot is a good shoot. I'm a lawyer, and I suppose I feel competent about being able to speak up to explain myself should it (G-d forbid) prove to be necessary.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    I personally don't like laser sights because I think they act the same way tracer bullets do, ie. they not only show your target but they point out your location as well, very well in fact.
    FWIW, that is a movie myth. It doesn't work like that in real life.

I recently purchased a Ruger Security Six with Pachmyr grips on it. The grips are ok, but they profile too much. I got some original checkered wood grips and the gun is now in stock condition. Never had to adjust the sights as they were on with the first shot. I truct tha gun more each day I shoot it. I know where the round is going when it goes bang.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong
    FWIW, that is a movie myth. It doesn't work like that in real life.
    David,
    I beg to differ with you, try standing downrange from someone using a laser sight pointed toward you, (a laser pointer works as well), in a low light environment and tell me you can't see it very clearly.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    David,
    I beg to differ with you, try standing downrange from someone using a laser sight pointed toward you, (a laser pointer works as well), in a low light environment and tell me you can't see it very clearly.

I agree , I have seen lasers trace right back to the source in low light.

I have a full back piece and several on my arms. I have yet to go to a job interview where I was told to disrobe. I think the same hold true for a justified shoot. I have seen Hell's Angel's at the tattoo shop I frequent and they have been amicable people and actually quite friendly. Granted I know what dual lightning bolts means as well as the highly infrequent swaztika (sp). I view tattoos much like a view freedom of speech. It is my body and damned if I am going to let someone tell me what I can and can not adorn on it. I have actually met a ton of really interesting people from all walks of life solely based on my ink.

On the topic of Tattos, I have a unit insignia from the US Military on my arm that my Lawyer said could be used against me by an overzealous Prosecutor if he or she should so chose. The unit in question has a know profficiency with weapons and accuracy and as such I could be held to a higher standard which I also think is a load of crap. :pukin:

I figure god forbid I do take a life protecting mine or my wife's life, I will be sporting a brand new Hugo Boss suit avoiding the use of power colors and as such the ink will remain covered.

~A

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Since were being worry warts what about Tatoo's Think they could be held against you ? :eviltongu
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

A righteous shooting is a righteous shooting no matter how tricked out your gun. Just make sure you have a lawyer with experience in defensive shootings, probably the same lawyer your LEO friend would call.

That said, a 3lb trigger with skull & crossbones is obviously asking for trouble.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Since were being worry warts what about Tatoo's Think they could be held against you ?
    Actually there is some merit to this. Larry, A stepchild of a relative got into trouble with the law. He is 21 and has a learning disability, which makes him the equivalent of a permanent 14 year old. It seems that his 15 y/o girlfriend and he broke up. So she went to her daddy and told him about having sex with this 21 y/o. (what father would let her within a mile of a 21 y/o ?) Daddy called police and charges were filed against Larry. Unfortunately he has a big ol tatto across his chest that says "Love is pain". It definately came up in court. It certainly didn't help matters any either.

I am not defending the boy, despite his mental problem. Just saying, feel free to put whatever on your body or gun that you like. Just be aware that it may come back to haunt you.

On a side note. I wonder if any modifications/ or motto's could be placed in a positive light?

Cool

This is one of those gray questions. If I lived in an area where the ratio of lawyers to population is high, then I might be more concerned about "appearance" of my carry weapon. Having said that, I definitely wouldn't have the "stereotyped" finishing touches on my gun....refering to skull and bones grips and the like. I'm personally not into putting all sorts of attachments on my gun....rail sights and the like seem more appropriate for law enforcement/specops folks who routinely are in the search mode for the BG. I guess that would apply to Bounty Hunters too ! No, I prefer the plain jane look from the factory with perhaps a trigger job, if really needed, and maybe swapping out the stock grips for Hogues or other wood slabs. I view my gun as a tool and not a piece of jewelry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links