Philosophy Of Concealed Carry Gun Selection

This is a discussion on Philosophy Of Concealed Carry Gun Selection within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only have one pistol (1911 Govt 45 Auto). It's my plinking, match shooting, and above all my carry gun. The trigger pull is about ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Philosophy Of Concealed Carry Gun Selection

I only have one pistol (1911 Govt 45 Auto). It's my plinking, match shooting, and above all my carry gun. The trigger pull is about 4 lbs (maybe less or more...) It has a few bells and whistles on it. This is the gun I trust my life with. Every thing added to this gun is to make it perform better and be more reliable and to assist me in achieving the end result.....Shot Placement to Relieve the Threat. At my age I refuse to worry about what the lawyers think. At the time I will be attempting to save my life. (Is a 20 oz claw hammer more deadly than a 16 oz.?) Just being sarcastic.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hph1911
    Is a 20 oz claw hammer more deadly than a 16 oz.?
    That Depends Do you come from teh school of thought of Light and Fast or Slow and Heavy :vikings27

Administrator
    hph1911
    "At my age I refuse to worry about what the lawyers think."
    As long as there is life in those old bones ~ you are never too old to worry about what the lawyers will do with the life that you have remaining.
    Sounds to me like you're OK with your firearm selection & with a solid 4# trigger pull.
    You said:
    "Every thing added to this gun is to make it perform better and be more reliable and to assist me in achieving the end result.....Shot Placement to Relieve the Threat."
    No Problem ~ Shy Away From Those "Grim Reaper" Grips Though!

And Bud............
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'll say it again. The main concern is going to be what the gun looks like. They aren't going to care if the cylinder is recessed or you have an aftermarket slide stop.

I'll agree that radical modifications and normal capacity magazines may work against you in some instances as well, but it's mostly about aesthetics I feel.

Guns or gun features that are banned or otherwise regulated are restricted because they're ugly.

Bud White, I tend to lean toward the "slow and heavy", heh, heh!!!

Sorry for ranting above. I just get wound up over lawyers and their almighty perceptions. A gun is a tool and it's purpose is to punch holes in paper, people, animals or whatever its operator chooses. IMHO what you do to the gun does not make it any more or less deadly.

Ya know, those grim reaper grips would look pretty good on my claw hammer. <<smile>>

I have Crimson Trace lasergrips on all my guns; they are NOT there to use in "de-escalating" a situation, they are for better accuracy when firing - so I'll hit the lethal threat & not an innocent by-stander. LEO's can legally use a threat of lethal force for "de-escalation" - if I do it, I can be charged with assault or brandishing by the BadGuy. When my laser-spot is properly targeted, a bullet will be following it!

I agree about stock-looking CCW, but any internal work that makes your gun to be a more effective self-defense weapon does NOT automatically make it into an offensive weapon.

Thumbs up CT Lasergrips

Quote Originally Posted by bubbygator
    I have Crimson Trace lasergrips on all my guns; they are NOT there to use in "de-escalating" a situation, they are for better accuracy when firing - so I'll hit the lethal threat & not an innocent by-stander. LEO's can legally use a threat of lethal force for "de-escalation" - if I do it, I can be charged with assault or brandishing by the BadGuy. When my laser-spot is properly targeted, a bullet will be following it!
    In a street situation, I'd have to agree with your assessment. IF I have to draw on the street, it's because I've made the assessment that my life is in imminent danger and I MUST now engage the enemy with deadly force and that means rounds on target. But in my own home I have a luxury of trying to avoid shots which may result in a TNT (Thru-n-Thru) gunshot that might injure my family and so I can, if I choose, try and de-escalate a conflict by use of a dot. That's part of the Castle Doctrine.

But, to be truthful, it's only one small part of my reasoning here. In fact, I believe as you believe that the Lasergrips will be an accuracy enhancer especially if I have to shoot (or my wife has to shoot) from an awkward position of cover which may not allow for proper acquisition of sights.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Red face

Whew, this thread has hit on a gaggle of thoughts! Personally, I don't plan on "enhancing" my stock shooter, but the thought occurred to me that, since it's concealed anyway (nobody suppose to know your packin)....maybe a good approach to avoiding being a victim is to change your wardrobe....I mean get one of those big ole caps with NRA Member in really big letters, wear camo pants with lots of bulging pockets, dangle a few knife holders off your webbed tactical belt, be darn sure to wear both a shirt and "color-coordinated" jacket, that depicts a multi-tude of cliches...."Shoot first, and let God sort em out"....Big ole letters saying CCW and a little smaller letters for the definition (a lot folks don't know what CCW is), wear some of those Shooting Glasses around (cuts the glare), combat boots, Lord don't forget the combat boots, you want to convey the fact that not only could shoot the wings off a gnat, but in close quarters you can also kick the s--t outta anybody with those big ole heavy boots!

Bear with me guys, I'm trying to lighten up a bit for a trying few days to come!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links