Odd experience at work tonight

This is a discussion on Odd experience at work tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that this fits in the Concealed Carry Issues forum, but if the mods disagree then they can feel free to move it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd experience at work tonight

Question Odd experience at work tonight

I think that this fits in the Concealed Carry Issues forum, but if the mods disagree then they can feel free to move it.

I was at work tonight checkin id's at the door of the bar. My usual standard is pretty much if they don't look over 40 for sure, I card them (yeah, I wind up carding a lot of people who haven't had it happen in a while). Anyways, a gentleman came into the establishment who looked by my guess to be about 29 or 30 (turns out he was 32), so I asked for id, and he said, "I left my drivers liscense in the hotel room, will you take this instead?", and held out his Ohio CHL, which is a state issued ID with a photograph and birth date on it. (In Ohio, if carrying you are supposed to have a second form of ID, but he wasn't carrying, so whatever.)

I told the gentleman that I would accept it, and reminded him that carry in bars in Ohio is illegal, to which he replied that he knew that. I suggested that he might want to find a different form of ID to go flashing around (by now he had a pretty good clue where I stood on the issue), and he said that he had never thought of any adverse effects from using it as an ID.

So, I guess my question after my long winded set-up is this? Has anyone else ever used their Liscense/Permit as a form of ID? Any thoughts about doing this in general? Obviously it isn't the type of thing we want to advertise, which is why we conceal our weapons. The whole situation struck me as rather odd, as I had never considered using my CHL as a form of ID. Any thoughts?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I suggested that he might want to find a different form of ID to go flashing around, and he said that he had never thought of any adverse effects from using it as an ID.
    He's thinkin' now, hopefully. Dang. Hm, can you imagine using it as a form of state-issued picture ID to, say, cash a check at the bank?

In Ohio, too. It's a little bit astounding that he would not yet have thought through potential ramifications of flashing and unconcealing his concealed status. Particularly considering what Ohioans are going through, these days, in regards to concealed carry.

For myself, I can't imagine the divulging, in the first place; and I certainly can't imagine using an ID that proclaims a likely highly-illegal situation (armed in a bar). Have never considered that it's an ID to be used other than for identifying me to police. Would never consider unveiling it to anyone else, due to obvious risk of blowback from the unarmed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Nope, I would not use my CCW permit as a second form of ID....no need to announce to the world that I licensed as a CCWer....then again, if anyone "needs" to "see" that I am armed, out comes my LE creds....I'll use my DL and/or military ID as secondary IDs.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Actually to be honest from the words you typed he may have thought you were a anti gunner! But that is between you and him. I have only pulled my CCW permit card one time and that was to show a LEO when I got pulled over for a speeding ticket. Otherwise it is deep in my wallet, where it stays.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    My policy is to never show the CCW license unless absolutely necessary to inform a LEO. I have never been in a situation requiring 2 forms of photo-ID. Can anyone provide an example of this?

If I knew in advance I must show 2, I would use the driver's license and take along the passport. If caught unaware of such a requirement I would consider showing the CCW permit, since it's the only photo-ID I have besides the driver's license, depending on how vitally I needed whatever I was showing it for.

Lead Moderator
    I think the only time I'd show mine is when required by law!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Nope, wouldn't do it. Washington's is just folded paper without a picture, so it wouldn't be valid as an ID anyway.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

2 forms of id are usually required in MS while chashing a check at a bank that you do not hold an account. Opening an account. setting up utilities at a new house/appt. etc.

I only show to LEOs.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Although it may have been purely benign, I would have tagged him as a "Tackleberry" and kept a close eyeball on him for the balance of his time in the establishment. At best, it was not a well thought out idea for the gentleman to present his CWL as a primary, and ONLY form of ID , in my humble opinion.

CWL= Concealed Weapons License
    God Bless the USA

I don't care...I'd use it, especially if I didn't have my DL. At least, I'd use it if I weren't carrying at the time. If I were carrying, I guess I agree that I wouldn't expose myself. But in the OP's scenario, yeah, I'd use it. It's not like the door man is going to remember me 30 seconds later. Even if he did, not much he could do that he couldn't have done if I had used a DL.

It was quite clear that he knew I wasn't an anti. And I actually did keep an eye on him till he left about 4 hours later. Actually a lot of the guys I work with have great memories about stuff. We can usually even recall people who have caused problems months in the past and tons of other stuff.

One other thing that I thought about with this is most Ohioans have never seen a SHL, and don't have any idea what one looks like. If they didn't know then most doormen would probably assume that it was some sort of fake ID, because its a better idea to err on the side of caution for those purposes, especially around a college campus.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I look on the license as a part of the 'concealed' package.... it stays concealed also unless needed in an LEO encounter (which luckily I have never had yet).

I have been asked for second ID before.... some stores are just assinine about that, especially so around the Christmas shopping season. VA ID card, Retired Military ID card, Sam's Card are all good for that.

VIP Member
    I would not use my permit as a second form of ID if I could avoid it. It keeps people from freaking out, and it also keeps private what should remain private.

My brother, on the other hand, was stuck while making a large purchase - I think this was at department store. Checkout lady asks to see two forms of photo ID. So he pulls out his driver's license and the only other Photo ID he had - his HCP.

Checkout lady says it's not a valid form of ID.

Hello, it was issued by the State of Tennessee, it even looks almost exactly like the driver's license except the picture is on the other side with a red/white border (this was the old version of the TN permit before they came out with the ugly ones), and it's got the little holograms all over it.

My brother debates her for a while until she calls her supervisor over, who glances and it and says, "Oh, that's a carry permit. It's good."

The checkout lady looks at it like it's a dead bug and proceeds with the sale.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I have used mine before.

From time to time I have had occasion to cash checks written from accounts at a particular bank for larger amounts than the bank's policies consider usual.

In order to do so (or perhaps in order to avoid doing so), this particular bank requires TWO forms of government-issue, photo ID's. I say "perhaps in order to avoid doing so" because I can't think of many people who are going to have two forms of government-issue, photo ID.

But I do.

And the bank's policy is also to try to get the check-casher to take a cashier's check instead of cash while the teller is fetching a manager to inspect the check, ID's, the check-casher's appearance, take the index-finger print of the check-casher, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links