CO - Bill to force CO residents to get CO permit

This is a discussion on CO - Bill to force CO residents to get CO permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a clarification I got from the CO Senator-Elect who will be offerring the legislation. He wants to require Colorado residents to get a ...

Thread: CO - Bill to force CO residents to get CO permit

CO - Bill to force CO residents to get CO permit

Here is a clarification I got from the CO Senator-Elect who will be offerring the legislation.

He wants to require Colorado residents to get a Colorado permit. That, of course, makes life difficult for people as they move here and they must give up their right to self defense while they establish their residence and make their way through the process.

"Thank you for your e-mail. Very clearly some gross misinformation is being circulated about my proposed bill and I find that disheartening, but I appreciate the opportunity to provide you with the facts. Thank you for that opportunity. My bill will simply require that Colorado residents have a Colorado CCW permit. Residents from out of state will still have complete reciprocity. The only change is that you, as a Colorado resident, will not be able to rely upon a Florida (or any other state) permit here in Colorado. If you are a Colorado resident, please have a Colorado permit, if you are a Florida resident here for business or pleasure, your Florida permit is good the entire time you are in Colorado. I hope that clarifies my proposition. I would appreciate it if you would circulate this to whoever is circulating the erroneous information. Thank you for your attention, and I am sincerely yours,

Senator-Elect John P. Morse"

On the plus side, he did respond to me even though I'm significantly outside of his district.

2. Remove Ads

Need gap coverage

The senator's response does not address the "new resident" problem the poster raised. What happens to the person moving his residence from elsewhere to Colorado during the period of establishing residence in Colorado and obtaining the permit?

There is a need for a "grace period" to cover this gap.

I wouldn't have a grace period, I would just extend reciprocity to an automatic issuance of a resident permit to a new resident of the state if that person was coming from a state that reciprocated, subject to the surrender of the previous state's permit.

For instance, I move from Michigan to CO (which I believe reciprocate). Upon getting a CO DL, I apply to the state for my CO CCW, while surrendering my Michigan CPL. I receive a new CO CCW permit.

Yes, there will be a period of 2 to 6 weeks or so while my transfer is pending, but I believe that states have the right to do that. I would hope that they make the effort to make it quick, but I also don't believe that states should be forced to allow a resident of their state use another state's permit indefinitely.

Grace period defined

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    I wouldn't have a grace period... I also don't believe that states should be forced to allow a resident of their state use another state's permit indefinitely.
    My definition of grace period is a fixed period of time, not an indefinite period of time. The grace period should cover the period under CO law you have to live in CO to be defined as a "resident" so you can apply for a permit, plus the waiting period to obtain the permit once you have applied for it. It will probably be some number of months.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The senator's response does not address the "new resident" problem the poster raised. What happens to the person moving his residence from elsewhere to Colorado during the period of establishing residence in Colorado and obtaining the permit?

There is a need for a "grace period" to cover this gap.
    MountainPacker - perhaps you should bring to the senator's attention what pogo2 wrote down.

I guess I missed something here. He said your Florida, or other state permit is still good and honored in CO. So I assume this would mean you can use the Florida permit while waiting for the CO one to arrive. Do you have to turn in your old permit when applying for a new one? If I misunderstood and you indeed have not permit during this transition, why not write him again and explain that it is this time period that you are concerened with. But if you don't have to turn in the FL permit it sounds like you are covered.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I agree that the new resident gap should be addressed. But we have a similar law here in AZ. I'm not sure what our gap is - if any.... but we also have open carry as a legal option until the permit arrives.

The law makes sense. It sucks for everyone who has relied upon out of state permits for this thus far.... but oh well. It's not completely horrible.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I sent the senator this

I posted your reply on several boards and got back some ideas that, if incorporated, I would not oppose and would probably prove much less distasteful to those who legally carry guns with permits in this state. This lets Colorado keep the permit money in state and count the permits, while not penalizing someone who could carry in Colorado the day before they moved here, but not the day after.

1. Allow for a new resident with a CCW from a reciprocal state an immediate issue of a CO permit. A background check could still be run after the fact, if you wish, and the permit revoked if necessary. However, if their existing permit is valid, that should never be the case.

or

2. Allow a 6 month grace period. When someone moves in with an otherwise valid out of state permit, let it be valid for six months after establishing residency, or perhaps automatically issue a temporary emergency permit. This gives them adequate time to get a Colorado driver's license, take any necessary class and move through the normal permitting process. Since the emergency permit is only valid for 90 days, they should also get an automatic renewal of that permit if their normal permit is in process.

The first option would be the best. If someone moved here with a Kansas permit, their Kansas permit would cease to be valid in Kansas or anywhere else, the moment they changed their residency. Being able to show that permit to their new Colorado sheriff and get an immediate Colorado permit would not force a gap in coverage on the new Colorado resident. It also doesn't have issues with verifying the date of their residency for a grace period to be viable.

Just my ideas on the subject. I hope you'll consider them before offering up your bill.

Thank you for your attention.

The problem I have with this bill is that its a solution in search of a problem.

Is there a rash of Colorado residents with out of state permits commiting crimes with concealed guns?

The problem with even discussing this issue with this guy is that you fall into the trap of accepting his position that this is an issue that the state must address.

All this is is a waste of taxpayer time and money in an attempt to "solve" a non-problem and at the same time throttle us proles that DARE think we have a right to do anything.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”
    -Groucho Marx

Links