Kansas CCW Issue (Anti-CCW Businesses Q's)

This is a discussion on Kansas CCW Issue (Anti-CCW Businesses Q's) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As most of you know Kansas has recently allowed CCW. Now I expected plenty of businesses to not allow CCW carry, but not this many. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kansas CCW Issue (Anti-CCW Businesses Q's)

Question Kansas CCW Issue (Anti-CCW Businesses Q's)

As most of you know Kansas has recently allowed CCW. Now I expected plenty of businesses to not allow CCW carry, but not this many.

Is this an issue that will subside over time, or is this an issue that will remain for years?

I am just slightly upset to see so many businesses anti-CCW around here and am hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Any thoughts?
    Beretta 92FS

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I am 45 miles east of you, in Junction City, and there haven't been a whole lot of signs up here yet. That is just a small part of the problem. The past 2 months or so, while everyone was waiting and talking about their CCW, just about all of the cities in Kansas have passed laws that prohibit carry, mine and yours included. Some of the cities have even gone as fas as making it a crime just to draw your weapon out of the holster unless you are a paid law enforcement person or to fire a firearn within city limits for any reason. That means that if you protect you or yours, you will be locked up. If I read the one from manhattan correctly, the FFL,s there are required to let the PD know about purchases. It is getting real stupid, real fast in this hayseed state. The Attorney General is the person in the state who is sposed to make sure the laws work, but the old one hasnt done anything to make the cities come on line except screw with Tiller at the abortion clinic. The new AG just took over yesterday at noon, and the first thing he did was withdraw the recip list so he could make sure everything the outgoing AG did was within his thinking process. This is what happens when useless politicians sit around the table with blood sucking lawyers and they have their hands in each others bottomless pockets. RANT OFF
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Here in Missouri things calmed down after awhile. The important thing is to tell the manager of the businesses you frequent that you will do business with those that don't post. Give out the NO CCW = NO $$$ cards that are available. Eventually, things will calm down. The anti's in Kansas have things hyped up warning of psychotic CHP/CCW holders shooting up the State.

A bonus of living in Missouri is that it is NOT a crime to ignore a sign. Not that I do, but it's nice to know if I miss one I won't be hauled off to jail. Yes, you can be fined (like a traffic ticket) but not charged with a criminal offense.

Unfortunately, it IS a crime in Kansas. I thought that Kansas would be more liberal since historically it has been more conservative politically than Missouri. I guess "Johnson County" is beginning to change that.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

What concerns me more than that is the cities that are passing ordinances banning firearm possession on city property. Meaning buildings, parks, streets, alleys, sidewalks etc.
    Am I supposed to memorize the ordinances of every town in the state?
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Sounds like the allowed the CCW permits to go through but are now making it a real pain in the butt if you still want to carry. I would definetly hand out the cards to all businesses that post the signs followed up by a letter, otherwise they can explain their sudden loss in revenue to other causes, I would also encourage all your friends to do the same. Hopefully after a few months and the streets aren't filled with blood folks will think twice about being against CCW. I wish y'all the best.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    What concerns me more than that is the cities that are passing ordinances banning firearm possession on city property. Meaning buildings, parks, streets, alleys, sidewalks etc.
    Am I supposed to memorize the ordinances of every town in the state?
    Sounds like everyone in Kansas is getting more paranoid day-by-day. CCW list removed, City Ordinances to ban all public property, Laws about unholstering your weapon, gun buster signs everywhere....

It's kind of sad to think that I won't be able to CCW while riding my bicycle on the bike trails in Eastern Kansas. I used to really enjoy that.

I hope (and think) things will calm down in the coming months...
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    The Attorney General is the person in the state who is sposed to make sure the laws work, but the old one hasnt done anything to make the cities come on line except screw with Tiller at the abortion clinic. The new AG just took over yesterday at noon, and the first thing he did was withdraw the recip list so he could make sure everything the outgoing AG did was within his thinking process. This is what happens when useless politicians sit around the table with blood sucking lawyers and they have their hands in each others bottomless pockets. RANT OFF
    Thank god for Paul Morrison. Phil Kline... Well... I can't say anything nice about him. Paul Morrison shows alot of promise. I was amazed by how happy all of my LEO friends were happy to hear that Mr. Morrison was stepping in as AG.

I hope that CCW becomes easier to carry. It's unreal right now.
    Beretta 92FS

I can't get into details on here as that would take forever to read but......... most all of these new laws will not hold up guys. The verbage of the bill is very specific about what citys and counties can and can not do. It goes as far as to say what the harshest law is that they can pass. It also says that the new state law over rides theirs. Other than complain there is not that much that the cities can do. They can make life a bit tougher and pass BS laws about discharging of firearms and such but those will only apply if you are involved in a shooting and by then that will not be your biggest issue.

Now I will add that you can be arrested for anything and some of use might before its over but it will not hold up in court and after that happens a few times I think things will die down.

The biggest problem is the mis information about this bill. Lord knows that our liberal media is not telling it straight.
    Last edited by freetrapper; January 9th, 2007 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Thank god for Paul Morrison. Phil Kline... Well... I can't say anything nice about him. Paul Morrison shows alot of promise. I was amazed by how happy all of my LEO friends were happy to hear that Mr. Morrison was stepping in as AG.
    I wish I shared your enthusiasism. I was never a big Kline fan but I never thought Morrison gave a straight answer to anything. Nobody seems to know what Morrisons take is on the issue. The NRA gave him a bad grade but then again Kline was their boy so go figure. If you know of anything pro-gun about Morrison I would love to hear about it so I can sleep a little better at night.

Please....., Paul Morrison is not a fan of CCW. He will do everything to make it as difficult as possible for us. Steve48

This a cut and paste from a post I did on the Kansas CC forum.

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a lady with whom I do business. She asked me what I thought of the Concealed Carry bill, and I told her that I supported it. She seemed surprised and asked why. I told her that I thought people should be allowed to defend themselves if attacked. Well isn't that what we have the police for? I said that the police can't be everywhere, and that they could not be held responsible for not protecting us in any event. She then told me that she knew this as her husband was an LEO. I told her that in spite of the predictions of the opponents of CC that the sky had not yet fallen in the 30-something states that allow it. She allowed as how that was true and said that she could see it for LEO's and people like me (I am a PI) but the thought of everyone carrying just made her uncomfortable. That, sports fans, is the key word.

Senator Vratil said the idea of people carrying in church made him uncomfortable. IOW, even though they can't think of a rational reason to not permit it, the thought makes them uncomfortable.

That is the problem. That is what we have to work on, people.

We can't use a sledgehammer for this; we have got to use a soft, gentle approach. We have got to make them aware that they have nothing to worry about.

Gun-control advocates use fear (emotion) to spread their message; we counter with fact and figures. I think they are winnning the PR war. We have to fight back with emotions. That is what grabs people.

In short, we must make them comfortable with the idea of civilian concealed carry.

Any thoughts?

The best way to accomplish this (and it has been done in the 38 states that preceeded Kansas in concealed carry) is for us to be on our very best behavior.
    Please remember that this has never been done in Kansas before, so people don't know what to expect. From what the media have told the folks, they expect wild shoot-outs at every fender-bender and over every disputed parking space, a rash of Wild-West style vigilantism and a greatly increased level of violence. It is up to us to show them that this is not so.
    We do this, like I said, by being on our very best behavior. As soon as the general population realizes that we not a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs, they will relax and the majority of the signs will come down.
    So, be patient.
    Remember it is our opprtunity, and our responsiblity, so grab itand run with it.
    "Let's be careful out there!"
    Sgt. Esterhaus

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    As most of you know Kansas has recently allowed CCW. Now I expected plenty of businesses to not allow CCW carry, but not this many.

Is this an issue that will subside over time, or is this an issue that will remain for years?

I am just slightly upset to see so many businesses anti-CCW around here and am hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Any thoughts?
    I am surprised that here in Derby, there are so few signs. So far, I have just seen less than five.
    And like I said in my previous post, I expect the vast majority of the signs to come down.
    "Let's be careful out there!"
    Sgt. Esterhaus

Education is key. You must remain in control when explaining things to those who are not knowledgable about these issues. Over time, things tend to work themselves out, but, it does take time. Patience got the CCW in place, and patience will help with the other pieces as well. I work in Overland Park and Lee's Summit area, so would be nice not to have to leave my gun at home, as I never know when I will be going across the line. Good luck with Morrison, as I do not trust him at all. If he pushes back on the reciprocity piece, I would look for Missouri to do the same and pull theirs with Kansas. Hope it does not come to that, but I would expect it.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    ALL of the Kansas People should go to ksconcealedcarry.com. There is a lady there from KSRA that is asking everyone to provide either links to stupid cities or send her a copy of your city's stupidity. If you know of anything that hasn't been mentioned, get that to her also. The lawyers did 2 fine jobs here. First one failed to make the initial law lawyer proof, and then other lawyers figgered out how to get around the wording of the law. Personally, I think every home should have 2 lawyers: 1 for the kids to play with, and 1 for the dog to chew on. BUT, there are lawyers with the KSRA that ARE gonna to help us. They just need our help finding each city's fishwrap. thanx
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Please....., Paul Morrison is not a fan of CCW. He will do everything to make it as difficult as possible for us. Steve48
    Have you got any resources to back up that statement? Everything I've seen (from transcripts and whatnot) Morrison is a very firm believer that every citizen has a right to defend themselves.

I'll hold off saying he's the best thing since sliced bread, but until then, I've never seen so many LEO's speak so highly of a single politician. So that is very encouraging.
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links