What do you say when asked about your concealed carry?

This is a discussion on What do you say when asked about your concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The folks that know I carry, know I do so concealed. So when they ask, its done pretty quietly, or worded in a way that ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you say when asked about your concealed carry?

The folks that know I carry, know I do so concealed. So when they ask, its done pretty quietly, or worded in a way that most people wouldnt notice. My family doesnt ask, they assume I'm armed unless I'm at school picking up one of the kids, which, other than work, is the only pretty much the only "gun-free" place I go.

Just about the only person thats asked me is a friend from work. We see each other outside of work pretty often, and we're normally running the roads in one of his vehicles. If we were get stopped by one of the areas finest (we have to notify LEOs in NC), he knows that he'll probably have to hand the officer my license and permit. Since the answer was always yes, he hasnt asked in a while. If we do get stopped, he may ask then, if I dont remind him first.

2. Remove Ads

Depends on who asks. Stranger I will ask why should I carry?
    If it one of my friends I ask do I look as if I am carrying?
    Keep your powder dry

Other than my immediate family, the answer is dont ask. don't tell.
    Never judge a book by its cover.

Lead Moderator
    Never been asked. My friends know I carry, and my GF finds my pistols occasionally. family either doesn't care or figures I'm carrying. I don't tell unless its someone I know well. Otherwise its none of their business.

I have been accused of being ”as bad as an evangelical preacher” when it comes to guns and the second amendment, and how many evangelicals do you know that are the “don’t ask don’t tell” type when it comes to their religion? I don’t go around “flashing” or yelling “I’m carrying a gun” but people I know I tell up front that I have my permit and make it a usual practice to carry. We usually get into a discussion about it, I lay out the reasons for carrying and I have helped several of them get their permits and they are now carrying. In fact I usually carry packets of Florida applications and pass them out to people.

There are advantages to people knowing you carry, when I was dating my first wife her family knew I carried, her dad was a nut case (mostly a big act) and would go off the deep end from time to time and kept the family in fear of him so he could get his way. I was visiting one time and he storms into the kitchen from the back door and we were in the living room, he was carrying a hatchet and yelling he was tired of everything going against him and he was going to kill everyone and be done with it. I just very calmly said “Don, if you step one foot in the living room, I’m going to have to kill you, and you and I both know they won’t do a thing to me because you’re crazy”. He stood there a few seconds pondering that, turned around without saying a word and went back to his work shop, her mom just laughed and said “Well, Donald may be crazy, but he’s not stupid”!
    We dated another couple years and then were married for 5, the whole time he never threw one of his tantrums while I was around.

1952 - 2006
    Most of my friends and family know that I carry, they all have my email address which is the same a my username here, (ACPArmed) so it makes it a little obvious. other than those people near to me no one has ever asked because I do carry "very concealed", meaning the way I dress, no one ever has any idea that I'm carrying. Just the way I like it.

F350 great job with the father-in-law. You get a pat on the back for well done.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Have never been asked and never volunteer any info.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Considering how many that are not gun savy react to concealed carry, I have adopted the "what they don't know won't hurt me" outlook... it's unfortunate, really, because I am proud to be exercising my Second Ammendment right and I'd like to be able to shout it from the rooftops-regardless of how any of those less informed choose to react!
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

The few who know me well likely suspect I CCW - but they don't ask. Only my wife knows for sure. If I'm ever asked by a friend I'll respond that answering the question either yes or no would defeat the purpose of the law. Should a stranger ask I'll politely respond that I do not give out personal information. I simply do not talk about it period.
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

I've tended to answer honestly. People usually don't believe me when I tell them I'm not carrying a handgun but handguns, and thus, I can tell the truth and be disbelieved simultaneously.

Smile

I don't discuss it with anyone except for a few close friends who also have CCW Licenses. But if asked I would try to give as open and honest an answer as possible, which would probably be a waste of my breath.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I go for the very concealed look. (my wife nor mother would know unless they asked) I like it that way. I have only ever been asked once. I was returning a faulty starter to a local auto parts store when the manager, who I knew pretty well, kinda stopped, and asked me if I had a gun. I just grinned really big and asked "why are you afraid to give me the bad news?" He just chuckled and walked away. After I got out in my car, I looked and realized I was imprinting a bit. A little adjustment was made in my method of carry and nobody has asked since.

As for others knowing, about my carry permit, my boss knows I have a permit, and has made jokes about being afraid to give me a bad review however I have never told him that I do carry on the job and he hasn't asked.

Bryan

VIP Member
    My family knows I carry (several of them do, too) and my good friends also know I carry and carry themselves. It's nobody else's business if I carry, but if guns are brought up in a conversation and I am asked if I am carrying a gun, usually with a guy I will give a teasing look and ask, "Am I?"
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

One friend I visit almost daily and he never asks, he just assumes I am carrying. Another always asks me when I visit my home if I am armed. As far as I am concerned, I am armed whether or not I carry a gun, so I tell him to assume I am armed. Family knows I am carrying. About the only place I don't/can't carry is at work as I am on a federal reservation and they are just a little nitpicky about civilians and guns, if you know what I mean

I've never been asked. Very, very few know I carry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links