What do you say when asked about your concealed carry? - Page 4

What do you say when asked about your concealed carry?

This is a discussion on What do you say when asked about your concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only folks who may ask me about that are either close (very) close family or my shooting buddies. Some of course know. Once I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Assistant Administrator
    The only folks who may ask me about that are either close (very) close family or my shooting buddies. Some of course know. Once I am at the range I will open carry if warm enough and at home open also.

That does mean tho very few actually ''know''. If asked as a question like ''do you carry'', then unless a shooting person asking I'll fudge it and maybe say ''sometimes'' ... but depends who it is - I sure ain't advertizing!. In a traffic stop here I am not obligated to declare such, unless of course LE were to ask direct - then I will naturally say and show my permit if required.

Overall - it is for many I think a well kept secret - concealed is concealed and out and about that's the way I want it to stay. Ideally in most cases where presentation may be required, it will a major surprise to a BG and hopefully then rack up just another ''situation defuzed - no shots fired"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

LOL........Ya Like that line don't ya !! Stops em dead in their tracks every time

Hi SOF.I agree with you whole -heartedly on the right to bear arms. I just had a thought train of when I was in the "State of Massachusetts" Long ago BTW.and when I first applied for my LTC.I was told that from the Chief, who was a very wise man, to always have that thought in my mind. It lead me to have bigger and better toys by being a 'good doobie" ) A Class3 FFL and all my form 4s signed the first few minuites I was at the ploce Station. But ya gotta remember this, you fowl up with your LTC or drivers license, and what do they do? pull it right? just a thought, with no argument intended

I do not usually mention that I am carrying. Most of my family has CCW so we are likely to be carrying at a given time.

Be well . . .

"Don't ask, don't tell." Will be honest to a point. All depends on the company I'm in. "What you don't know won't hurt you." and "I plead the Fifth, and will not confirm nor deny."
    Cliched and repeated in this thread, I know.
    Parents and family know that I CC and don't care, some friends know and others are in the dark about it.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

My friends and family all know and the rest of the world can guess.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Quote Originally Posted by F350

Seems like a couple weeks ago he and his wife were on their way home after visiting family and were driving the interstate at night and made a “comfort” stop at a rest stop, when they pulled in there was no sign of trouble. As they were going back to their car they were harassed by a group of 4 “gangsta” types, fortunately nothing happened and they got in the car and left but were followed for several miles by the group. The purpose of the lunch was to ask me how to go about getting his CCW, what recommendation I had on a gun and would I give him a little training.

Chalk one more up for the “evangelical preacher”
    How's the saying go: "A Liberal is a just a Conservative that hasn't been mugged yet".

All of my family and most of my friends know, They also know im getting my instructors licence as well.

Folks at work and home know, other then that I don't tell.

Brian

I've carried for slightly olver 40 years. Only my closest family knows that I carry. Never bring it up, never discuss it, never been asked!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Depends on who asks

I have a couple friends that I wasn't completely honest with how much I carry (frequency). I told them a few of the rules I have put on myself just to alieviate some of their fears.

Then a female friend saw I was carrying at her place she asked if I was scared of her. Told her that I was afraid one day she would steal my heart.

The two people I have gone into full detail when I carry, what would cause me to pull my weapon is my mom and my pastor, if there was a time my sister would ask I would tell her.

I have told others that reasons I carry are the mountain lion attacks in this state. I was rammed intentionally by a couple guys once, I talked my way out of it without drawing. Then I tell them about the Secret Service agent that told me about the time he was wolfpacked and all he had to do to get the bad guys to back down was pull his weapon.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Then I tell them about the Secret Service agent that told me about the time he was wolfpacked and all he had to do to get the bad guys to back down was pull his weapon.
    I haven't heard that one.
    Care to share. Or at least explain "wolfpacked". I get a general idea from the term, but would like to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    How's the saying go: "A Liberal is a just a Conservative that hasn't been mugged yet".

Beautiful!

New Member Array RoundRock_gun_fan's Avatar
    I had a incident the other day pertaining to this. I was telling my friend, who is a cop and knows I CCW, about the time I took a pic with the governor of TX.

We were at a local park with my daughters kickball team and I was telling him and his wife about the meeting. I was telling him that when the gov came over to take the pic, he went straight for my stong hand side. So instead on having my arm around him, my arm is straight down the side of my body between him and my SIG. I was showing him how I looked when one of the mothers from the team asked me why were you standing like that?

Until then I hadn't mentioned anything about a gun, because my friend and his wife knew what I was talking about. I forgot about the other people who were also listening. I told her I had a CHL and carried a concealed handgun. She didn't even blink an eye, she just said oh, ok. I was glad she didn't react differently, I like the lady and didn't want to have to debate her on the subject.

RR

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRock_gun_fan
    I had a incident the other day pertaining to this. I was telling my friend, who is a cop and knows I CCW, about the time I took a pic with the governor of TX.

We were at a local park with my daughters kickball team and I was telling him and his wife about the meeting. I was telling him that when the gov came over to take the pic, he went straight for my stong hand side. So instead on having my arm around him, my arm is straight down the side of my body between him and my SIG. I was showing him how I looked when one of the mothers from the team asked me why were you standing like that?

Until then I hadn't mentioned anything about a gun, because my friend and his wife knew what I was talking about. I forgot about the other people who were also listening. I told her I had a CHL and carried a concealed handgun. She didn't even blink an eye, she just said oh, ok. I was glad she didn't react differently, I like the lady and didn't want to have to debate her on the subject.

RR

Had a similar situation recently. I was at the Virginia Shad Planking (a political get to know you event) in Wakefield, VA in April. While I was there I got to spend some time with Senator George Allen (who rumor has it will be running for President in '08), and had my picture taken with him. Virginia is an "open carry" state, and I had my SIG on my hip, and it didn't bother him at all (he is a GREAT friend of gun owners). His handlers were a little nervous though. In the picture (which I'll post as soon as I figure out how), it shows Senator Allen on my left and the SIG on my right.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links