What do you say when asked about your concealed carry?

This is a discussion on What do you say when asked about your concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are you prepared to say or not say when asked by a friend, family member, church member or other if you're carrying concealed?...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you say when asked about your concealed carry?

HighFever

What are you prepared to say or not say when asked by a friend, family member, church member or other if you're carrying concealed?

My friends all carry so that response is easy. Family, brother knows and still n teh fence about it, Mom does not nor does she need to know. That would be akin to opening pandora's box. Church member, well I have not been to church since the Regan Administration so that response is easy as well.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

In about 40 years of carrying, never been ask, and never volunteer information.

Family (youngest kid is 45) knows.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

No one asks and i dont tell

Cool Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Quote Originally Posted by HighFever
    What are you prepared to say or not say when asked by a friend, family member, church member or other if you're carrying concealed?
    Most of my friends are fairly conservative and all my friends know of my political and 2nd Amendment activism. My Letters to the Editor appear about 4-6 times a year, so the liberals at school all know, too. Since I'm an NRA certified Firearms Instructor and I keep myself in guns and ammo by giving the classes for the Florida Concealed Weapons permit, it's to my advantage that folks know I'm usually armed. Besides you'd be AMAZED at the number of folks who want to be walked through darkened parking garages after seeing a movie with a bunch of friends! Usually it's the wife that asks. That usually prompts the husband to ask about class availability. LOL

One of the guys I shoot with is also an elder in our church and he is ALWAYS armed during services and with the full knowledge of the pastor and staff.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well my friends- I can pick my friends. I've even converted one over from a gun control believer to a Glock owner.

My family - they know me too well. I had to tell them I was seeking my permit. But they're full of suprises. My mother thinks it is wonderful I am trying to get my license and learning how to shoot better because I'm the first kid out of the house and she worries about me a lot. That's a relief.

Anyone else - don't ask don't tell. Concealed means concealed.

If no one asks then I don't tell. With people that are not into guns you will get mixed responses if they find out you have a concealed handgun.

If someone asked me then I might tell them. But it depends on why or how they came to ask me in the first place. Most of my friends that go shooting with me know so if they ask I tell them.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

In the military, . . . answers to questions are always given on a "need to know" basis. That is exactly how I have approached my CCW.

For example, several of my co-workers know I have my license, including my boss, . . . but only one has ever known when he was with me when I was carrying (he was too, . . . we took our CCW classes together).

As far as family goes, . . . I have some who have not use for guns in their opinions. I respect their opinion and would not carry in their house. You can also understand that I don't go to their house very often either.

Basically, however, it comes down to the question: "What good is it if they know?" If there is no overpowering need, . . . then there is no need, . . . and their knowing just might get you into the wrong situation.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

I don't volunteer,but family and friends understand.

Administrator

Great Answers

My family knows that I carry & of course the wife and a select Very Few other close folks.
    I never have been asked "out of the blue" by anybody or by any stranger & I never mention the fact or bring it up in conversation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My wife pat's me down from time to time(:)), but my father in law is the only one who has ever asked.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55
    In the military, . . . answers to questions are always given on a "need to know" basis. That is exactly how I have approached my CCW.

For example, several of my co-workers know I have my license, including my boss, . . . but only one has ever known when he was with me when I was carrying (he was too, . . . we took our CCW classes together).

As far as family goes, . . . I have some who have not use for guns in their opinions. I respect their opinion and would not carry in their house. You can also understand that I don't go to their house very often either.

Basically, however, it comes down to the question: "What good is it if they know?" If there is no overpowering need, . . . then there is no need, . . . and their knowing just might get you into the wrong situation.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    My philosophy, exactly. All of my family pretty much knows and has no problem with it so I don't have to worry about whether they are sensitive to it or not. Both my brothers carry. Two of my kids are planning on it along with my future son-in-law. My Dad keeps a pistol for home protection so they have no problem (although if someone is prowling their house they will call me I am sure). Anyone that I run across that does have a problem I will simply not visit.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    I always answer honestly when asked by someone I know. If I am carrying, I say so, if I'm not I say so. I teach CCW classes, so like ExSoldier it is a small benefit to me for people to know me as someone who carries and provides training. I also work part-time at the local gun shop and get asked about concealed carry. While most of the employees at the gun shop carry openly, I carry concealed when I'm there. It helps demonstrate to people that you can conceal almost any defensive handgun if you are willing to work at it a little.

Now if asked out of the blue by someone I do not know, I would ask why they would ask such a question. I would have to assume I was exposed somehow.

-Scott-

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Other than a few friends who also own guns, I don't recall anyone ever asking. I don't usually tell, but there have been some occasions where I did since it was for their own safety (e.g. a few friends knew why I insisted we all walk together thru some parts of Boston to the subway station).

I don't carry all the time, but usually do when I'm heading into Boston at night. A few weeks ago we attended a company party from my Wife's employer. The place got hot and my Wife suggested that I take off my sweater. I just politely said that I couldn't. When we got home and I took the sweater off, she said "Oh, now I understand why you couldn't take it off at the party"

Back in the days of the Boston Computer Society (BCS), I used to volunteer to work the many trade shows in Boston. We were invited out to the Avalon (night club) after the show was closed down by Novell and I was CCW. We ate, drank and danced. We were part of a long conga-line dancing thru the nightclub when I felt a hand touch the butt of my handgun. I glanced around and saw it was the Membership Director of the BCS and was much relieved. She was a young Irish lady who grew up in Belfast, knew that I carried a gun and was a Special PO and it was a non-issue. Could have been a major issue if it were someone else!

Basically "don't ask, don't tell" is a good policy.

Red face Flasher!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I would have to assume I was exposed somehow.-Scott-
    Ever had that happen to you? I'm going to start a thread on that!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links