Carry in PA on a Non-Res from Another State? - (Merged)

This is a discussion on Carry in PA on a Non-Res from Another State? - (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It has long been accepted that people with NH non-res permits could carry in PA but I saw a blurb on PDO about that not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry in PA on a Non-Res from Another State? - (Merged)

Carry in PA on a Non-Res from Another State? - (Merged)

It has long been accepted that people with NH non-res permits could carry in PA but I saw a blurb on PDO about that not being the case for FL permits issued to non-residents of FL. That got me to thinking so I went to the AG site and searched for the agreement with NH. Here is its link: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...ip_Agreemt.pdf

Section 1 would seem to indicate a NH Non-Res permit would be alright but read Section 3 carefully....

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms by valid license/permit holders from respective states and not to any other types of weapons
    The section is there to limit the agreement to firearms only but it effectively kills non-resident permits from NH and elsewhere. If you live in NY but have a NH non-resident permit then you are NOT a "valid license/permit holders from respective states."

I believe the PA agreements with other states may read the same meaning PA is now like MI, NH and FL in not honoring non-resident permits. Everyone who uses a non-resident permit for carry in PA from a state other than PA and their own better look up the agreement ASAP!!!http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

edit... The Florida agreement reads the same. FL non-res is also a no no in PA. This is really starting to suck!!!

2. Remove Ads

I think you may be misinterpreting this. When the agreement says "by valid license/permit holders from respective states," it may be referring to permits issued by respective states, rather than requiring license holders to be residents of those states.

As far as the PDO blurb, Florida does not allow people to carry on non-resident permits from other states. Someone may have been talking about not being able to carry in Florida on a non-resident Pennsylvania permit and gotten misinterpreted somewhere along the line.

Rather than flying off the handle right now, why not write the Pennsylvania AG's office and ask?

You can add South Carolina to your list. It will not honor a Non Resident permit (except its own issued) if the Permit holder is not a resident of the respective state (and is a recipricol state) of which the permit is issued.

For example if you live in Vermont, and have a North Carolina Non Resident Permit, even though NC and SC have an agreement, your NC Non Res is not valid in SC. And so on....

And you can only get a SC Non Resident permit if you own property in SC.

Bummer

I just talked to an Attorney in the State Police Office and he said their position is, if you are not a resident of the state your permit is issued in then it is not valid in PA. I got my FL permit to carry in PA, but he told me the case law has not been challenged yet and might not hold up in court. Take your chances. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Get something in writing...

VIP Member
    The State of Florida will recognize valid Pennsylvania permits to carry concealed firearms by valid Pennsylvania permit holders while said permit holders are present in the State of Florida.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms as defined and authorized by the applicable statutes of Pennsylvania by valid license/permit holders from the respective states and not to any other types of weapons.
    this is from:
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=428

The part that counts:

"Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

There is NO prohibition listed in the agreement that even mentions NON-RES licenses. Since NO prohibition is listed, there is NO law saying you can't!

Until the agreement is changed, I see NO problem.............

The states that DON'T accept NON-RES licenses, SAY SO IN THEIR RECIPROCITY AGREEMENTS!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Here is an example of a state that does NOT accept NON-RES permits:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ing/plupr.html

Reciprocity: The State of New Hampshire has reciprocity with resident concealed handgun licenses from the following states:

Alabama Michigan
    Alaska Missouri
    Arizona Mississippi
    Arkansas, Law Enforcement Officers only North Carolina
    Colorado North Dakota
    Florida Oklahoma
    Georgia Pennsylvania
    Idaho Tennessee
    Indiana Utah
    Kentucky Wyoming
    Louisiana
    The above means that NON-RESIDENT is NOT OK.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

It is a helpful exercise to go to handgunlaw.us to create your own license map. After you complete a map based on the permits you have, see the note at the bottom of your map, "Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina and West Virginia only honor permits from residents of the issuing state." Note that Pennsylvania is not such a state.

To build your map, click on the link below. When you get there, in the left margin, click on "Create License Map".

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Conflicting opinions

Now I've called several county sheriffs in PA and they all told me the same thing. PA law does not differentiate from resident / nonresident license. I specifically asked about FL and was assured the law as written says nothing about needing to be a resident of the issuing state for the license to be valid. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Yeah, you should be fine with non-res. Besides, in the case of PA, you can apply and receive a PA non-res permit through the mail. :)
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Yeah, you should be fine with non-res. Besides, in the case of PA, you can apply and receive a PA non-res permit through the mail. :)
    The same sheriffs also told me now that KS is a "shall issue" state. I need to have a KS license to get a PA license. MIke Z

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    How does one apply for a PA non-resident permit through the mail? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by samtechlan View Post
    How does one apply for a PA non-resident permit through the mail? Thanks.

From http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Pennsylvania (Can be obtained by mail)
    The Sheriff of Centre Co. PA., Denny Nau, will issue Via mail to Non Residents of Pennsylvania. (You
    must have a permit from your state of Residence if your state issues permits.) You can apply in any
    county but some sheriffs in PA will not issue to non residents though the law says they have to. The
    easiest way to obtain a PA Non Resident Permit is to contact the Sheriff of Centre Co and they will mail
    you everything you need and you can do it all by mail.
    Centre County Sheriff
    Centre County Courthouse
    Bellefonte PA 168231488
    (814) 3556803
    Centre Co. Sheriff's Web Site.
    Click here to print a copy of the Centre County CCW Application.
    You must be 21 to apply for a concealed carry permit.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Florida Non-Resident Permit

I had the same question regarding carrying in PA on a Florida non resident permit because my interpretation of the law indicated that it was okay.

Just to make sure that my take of the law was correct I contacted the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office in November and left a message since nobody was available to talk with.

I was pleasantly surprised when Senior Deputy Attorney General George Zaiser of the Attorney General's office called me back and said that it was perfectly fine to carry with a non res Florida permit. However, he did say that he would not be surprised if I would be hassled by the State Police (he specifically mentioned them) if ever questioned because apparently the State Police's view of the law is different than the Attorney General's office (who wrote the reciprocity agreement).

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I just sent a "contact us" Email from the PA AG's website to see if I could get some clarity on the issue.

I'm from MA, have MA LTC, NH NR CCW and FL NR CCW.

Will post what I get back in reply.
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links