Defensive Carry banner

Got pulled over the other day

8K views 100 replies 41 participants last post by  ou_bird 
#1 ·
while driving through the subdivision. The LEO pulls out and follows me almost home and then lights me up 2 doors from my driveway. I hate when they do that. It's like they know and want your neighbors to watch. No, I wasn't speeding. Just had expired tags.

The LEO walks up to the door and asks for my license and insurance card. I get them out and add my CCDW license to the stack. He looks at me and asks if I am carrying and I reply "no I am on my way to work and can't carry there. If not I would be." He replies "you are the first person in a long time to present your CCDW... thanks". I told him that I thought it was the courteous thing to do.:hand10:

So I get off with a warning.

Now I figure that he officer is just going to go back to the cruiser and run my info... find that I have a CCDW and ask me about it. Midas well get it out of the way and let him know who he is dealing with.

I do wonder what would have been the procedure if I was armed at the time.

So what is your take on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
If actually armed? Having declared your status, then probably ....... ''How would you like me to proceed?".

Many an LEO would suggest leave your piece where it is and get on with warning, citation, whatever. A few might choose to disarm you.

Whatever - the one thing you have made pretty clear is you are one of the good guys and I think often that counts for something. I tend to hope so.

#3 ·
In my experience, LEOs usually just ask where it is and ask you to keep your hands where they can see them and everything proceeds normally. If he decides to make any requests of you, just do what he says and everything will be fine.

I did once have an LEO ask if I would give him my weapon for the safety of both of us. I told him that he was welcome to it, but that I would feel much more comfortable if he took it off of me rather than me holding a weapon with him there. He laughed and said he hadn't thought of it that way, and it would be fine to keep it on my person.

#67 ·
I can't understand why a cop, once he's been informed voluntarily by you that you have a gun and are licensed, would still want to hold onto it for the remainder of the stop. I mean, if you were really a threat, you'd have been one by now, and probably wouldn't have been as cooperative and cordial as you'd been up to that point.

I've been stopped numerous times while living here in Florida, never for anything more serious than moderate speeding. Several times, (at least three) I have been let off, and I have no special "trick" or "out" except for politeness, cooperation, and asking for a break.

I have not had confirmation about whether running my license plates, or my driver's license, informs the officer that I have a CWL or not. No one has really ever said for certain, and I have not asked any cops here.

I have never offered a cop my CWL or even told him I had a gun with me in the car. (There also has never been a danger of the gun inadvertently flashing, due to my mode of carry.) What's more, they have never asked me about it (which would tip me off to their knowing). I don't even think I've been asked a generic, "Do you have any weapons in the car?" question. Maybe I just seem like a harmless stop or something, I dunno. But I have never not been carrying when I've been stopped!

The last time I was stopped, it was by a Palm Beach County Sheriff's Deputy. I had pulled out of a Walmart onto the main road after rolling through the stop sign, after 3 a.m., and the cop was the only person coming. He claimed I pulled out right in front of him. Let me tell you, he had plenty of room and I didn't cause him to have to brake at all.

When I pulled into a 7-11 lot, I turned on my dome light and sat still with my hands on the wheel up high. He came and got my license etc., and went back to his car before I could offer my, "My license is clean and I'd really appreciate a break," speech. He came back shortly afterward and announced, "This one is on me," and that it could have been an expensive ticket for rolling through the stop sign. HE THEN THANKED ME FOR HAVING HAD MY LIGHT ON AND MY HANDS ON THE WHEEL WHEN HE APPROACHED. I mean, he explicitly said THANK YOU. I was shocked and gladdened, and I actually stopped him before he went back to his car and told him that I had always wondered if a citizen conducting himself responsibly and with a mind toward putting the officer at ease in his dangerous job was something that carried weight with him. I didn't get much of an answer that I recall, as he seemed eager to get back to work. I was just glad I didn't get a ticket.

Oh, by the way, I have an NRA Life sticker on the back window of my mini-wagon, among others (like AOPA and USPA). Was it noticed, and if so, did it help? Who knows. This deputy was decked out in an L.B.E. vest with a big ol' TASER gun on the belly. If anyone was a gear-hog and gun enthusiast, it seems he might have been one.

#4 ·
P95Carry pretty much said what would happen. Personally, I appreciate when people tell me they're armed. I usually ask them for that ID too, of course, maybe run it.

I always ask people to keep their hands where I can see them, regardless. It's not worth the trouble &/or risk to disarm you, unless there's something else that might get my "hunch meter" going. I don't think I ever ticketed someone that had a CCW, but they didn't really give me a reason to do more than a warning.

The bottomline is, & I believe this is what anti-gunners don't understand, is that people who go through the trouble to legally own & carry firarms are generally law abiding citizens & are NOT the ones to regulate & harrass.

Before anyone goes off on what I wrote, I said, for the most part. Like LE, there are some bad ones.

#5 ·
I was en route to our branch office when I was pulled over. Since the company I work for has a "No Weapons" policy, I had my 1911 store away in the glove box. When the officer approached my window, I promptly handed him my DL and LCF. I informed the officer that I had my handgun in the glove box, on top of my insurance and registration. He told me to get the papers without touching the handgun. I verbally proclaim all my movements as I obtained the papers to help put the officer at ease.

Overall, I thought everything went smoothly.

#6 ·
I had a minor traffic accident over my winter break, and the police were called. After I informed the officer he told me to secure my weapon in my vehicle while he watched. I just locked it in the glove box.

#9 ·
HA HA! Busted. It's a good thing he didn't notice the bazooka in my backseat.

No I had dropped off my son at school and had to stop back by the house for a nap..... I mean to grab my sunglasses.:rofl:

Good Catch!

#8 ·
In Idaho, we are not required to disclose the fact that we have a legally concealed firearm. However, the one time I was stopped, I immediately disclosed it and told him that it was on my hip right next to my wallet that I needed to get for him. I told him I could give him my name and SSN and he could check that I had a CCW before we did anything else. He politely asked me to step out and expose my weapon and withdraw my wallet. Did not ask for my weapon or anything else, showed him my permit and handed him my license and he asked me to get back in the pickup and keep my hands on the steering wheel. Politely asked me to sign my ticket and sent me on my way.

He was very polite and professional. Treated me with much respect as I did him. No problems.

I believe disclosure as the best policy. Sure don't want any misunderstandings with folks with guns on their hips!

#11 ·
It is really strange how different each state is with respect to CHL's. In Texas you are required to show your permit. I have to also say of the three times I have been pulled over in the last 8 years; each of the officers gave me a warning. Everyone of them asked me if I was carrying and when I said yes, not a single one asked me where it was. I just make it a habit of leaving my hands on the steering wheel.

#12 ·
I really dont have much to add after cockedlocked01's post, he covered the bases pretty well.

On your side note about why it he chose to stop you where he did; here is the likely reason- He was running your tag to verify it was expired, and taking a look to see if you had any criminal history. Its always nice to at least have an idea who may be driving before you stop the car. By the time he got all that, your in front of your house, or he was still waiting for the info, and decided to go ahead and stop you before you did pull into your driveway.

#14 ·
Yep! I sperenced the flashing lights one night myself. The state boys were looking for a meth-lab in my area and I was headed to work, they stopped me, everyone knows the routine, lic, ins, where you headed, etc. I didn't look at him, hands on wheel, looked ahead, told him I was armed, where it was, he asked what I was carring. I answered all his questions he said," OK, just don't touch it." I told him I didn't know of any good reason to touch it, as it appeared I had adequate Police protection. I looked at him and smiled, he smiled also and told me to drive carefully. I certainly believe a policeman should know you are legally carrying. It could keep you from being involved a really messy situation

#15 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm gonna hijack it. I carry a full size 1911 at 3:30 - 4:00. My ID holder is in my right back pocket. If I should get pulled over, should I get my wallet out and in sight before he approaches, or should I wait, inform him where my wallet is and where my handgun is and ask him how to proceed? Which is the best way?

#16 ·
WAIT! You would be suprised what I can see as I approach you in the car. If I dont know your legit CCW and see your gun before you let me know, chances are your going to get some road grime on your clothes.

#17 ·
If I should get pulled over, should I get my wallet out and in sight before he approaches
Prior to SIXTO's post I was just gonna say this .......... do NOT go for ANYTHING!!!! Putting myself in a cop's poition I want to see hands in open air and not trying to access anything - anything at all! :wink:

That can come later when the ground rules have been established - hopefully peacefully too.

#18 ·
I hate when they do that. It's like they know and want your neighbors to watch. Just had expired tags.

So what is your take on this?
Sorry but the way it came across kinda got my dander up. I doubt you meant it that way but to me it sounded like you felt you were being harassed. Ok that feeling out of the way (and I am sure I am wrong).

You didn't have to provide your CCL since you wernt carrying, but like you hoped if the officer is pro-ccw then it just might get you off.

We follow folks through neighborhoods, and it wasnt to get you close to your house, it was to allow time for busy dispatchers to comfirm that your tags were just expired and not stolen (stolen tags are often expried).

To answer the question about having the weapon near your wallet. Its your call but from my perspective (after over 20 years on the job) I would prefer to approach you and find your hands on the steeringwheel, windows down, dome light on and hazard lights flashing. Those few thing wont make us your best friend, but it does show that your not trying to hide. If you have passangers, dont have them put their hands on their heads (makes us feel your either a smartaxx or you've gone through a felony car stop one time to many) just have their hands visible.

Ok I'll go back to muh cage,

#19 ·
No Big Deal For Me...

I don't get too excited or nervous around LE. Can't remember the last time I was ever stopped (years ago), but I haven't been stopped since getting my CCW.

Cops are just another group of individuals trying to make a living, and a tough one at that...
Every group has some 'odd' members...that's life!

Here in FL, I think most LEO's have become accustomed to the idea of people having CCW's and realize (as a group) that those with permits 'tend' to be on the side of law and order.

I think I would just act natural and calm, and inform the officer of my sidearm and weapon...then it's his/her call...whatever...

OMO

ret:comeandgetsome:

#21 ·
Ummmm ahhhh hmmm, yeah they do. If you want to get technical about it, a traffic ticket is an arrest. Any lawful contact with a LEO, than can disarm you. Now would I during a traffic stop if you if I have no other reason to? No, buts thats my choice.

Now to be clear, if walking down the sidewalk and an LEO says "good morning sir, may I have your weapon" Then no, there is no legal justification.

Please read your states rules on this before taking legal advice given on the internet.

#23 ·
Your right, the car has nothing to do with it. What does is if a violation of the law took place, no matter if its a traffic violation or something that happend while you are waling down the street.
In this situation, it was a expired tag... a violation. LE stops the car for said violation... its up to the officers discretion to write a ticket (that is an arrest) or go with a warning. It is up to the officer to disarm you during a lawful contact or not.
I dont suggest you challenge this one on the street.

#25 ·
No, it is not up to the LEO, I have the 4th amendment right to not hand over my property (without good reason), and a LEO has no reason or cause to request so. Sorry, expired tags do not warrant the surrender of a legal weapon.

Also, my CHP class instructor at the security provider/range, whose son is an LEO, and who works with a gun rights lawyer, made clear that LEO's do not have this authority or right to do so.

Whether it's smart to comply even if requested by the LEO in the situation is for your own judgement.

#24 ·
I thought about this a great deal in the past, and as a result, I switched pockets that I carry my wallet in. I used to carry my wallet in my right back pocket and carried my pistol on my right hip at about 3:30. Figured that was not a good thing to do for obvious reasons.

Took a bit to get used to, but it's a small inconveniance to alleviate any sort of misunderstanding. Further, in a traffic stop situation like that, I have no problem informing the officer that I have a CCH permit and am currently armed. Just goes back to avoiding any sort of misunderstandings.

#27 ·
Jayhawker45, I have thought about it, but I carry IWB with a shirt tucked over the top so it is 99 out of 100 no problem. Cell phone is carried over there in front of it to provide a little cover if I print (again usually doesn't happen). And I have only been made once and that is when I dropped my pocket 380 I used to have when I had to jump over a railing. and had nothing to do with wallet pull.

Like I and others on this post have said, I don't like to have any misunderstandings with folks that are packing weapons, so I am disclosing immediately when I am dealing with LEO's if they need me to pull my wallet.

As for a passenger, I keep my hands out in the open, no quick or weird movements and don't do anything or say anything unless asked as I am doing nothing illegal. If asked to pull my wallet, I preface it with "Officer, I have a concealed weapons permit and I am carrying a firearm. What would you like me to do?"

Now, all that said, your State may have different disclosure regulations and laws than mine does. I do not have to disclose in Idaho and if there is no probable cause to ask an officer may not ask if you are carrying. That is why I voluntarily disclose..........no misunderstandings.

#28 ·
I preface it with "Officer, I have a concealed weapons permit and I am carrying a firearm. What would you like me to do?"

I do not have to disclose in Idaho and if there is no probable cause to ask an officer may not ask if you are carrying. That is why I voluntarily disclose..........no misunderstandings.

The same goes in VA, but it was suggested to do the same as you say in the class I took.

#30 ·
Sixto, that is a little harsh. The lad is trying to learn and by posting here and expressing his opinions, we old dogs might be able to teach him something. Garn, I don't recommend getting into a constitutional discussion with a LE over weapons on the street. If he wants it, let him take the weapon. If you want you can take it up with his supervisors and the department LATER.

You will NOT win that discussion on the street so don't even go there.

#32 ·
I don't think I would argue with a cop over this situation if asked to hand over my firearm. Obviously it would only make the situation worse for me, even if he IS wrong. Maybe he just wants to check out my handgund, lol.

I'm just saying legally, LEO's should not do this.

#33 ·
I ain't no moderator, but let's tone it down. Garn, legally, in your interpretation, they may not be able to do it. In practicality and day to day LEO procedures, I would listen to SIXTO. His LE experience could give you years of age just by reading. You are old enough to carry and can make your own decisions. And by the way, old age doesn't mean good judgement, I just think we old guys see more bad judgement in the young. There are just less people our age with bad judgement because of the natural selection process. Life does have away of sorting them out after 50 plus years.

#34 · (Edited)
No, I'm hardly stuck... anyone who has been around this board knows that...:rolleyes:

The reason I am harsh on this, like poor training, poor information can and will get you hurt or killed. The only thing you have cited is fourth party information, I am just suggesting you look into this for yourself.

The fourth amendment deals with search and seizure, this is neither.
Under the federal mandates, you have no "RIGHT" to CCW. Just like you have no "RIGHT" to drive a car on public streets. The fact that you have to get a permit makes it a privilage. ( I dont think that its right, but thats they way it is)

If you are stopped for a lawful reason, you are being detained. You have to give up your weapon if told to do so.

#35 ·
You can go on all day long with opinions but without posting official published information it means little to prove your point.
I myself have been in the shoes of a LEO and there is nothing more edgey than walking up on a unknown vehicle with occupants inside, especially at night and with dark tinted windows. 99% of the time everything goes well, but the moment you become complaciant is when you will get bit. It is for this reason that if I am pulled over, I make no movements whatsoever. My window is rolled down and my hands are on the wheel at 12 O'clock, if it is dark I may have the overhead light on. As soon as the officer approaches I inform him that I have a concealed weapon and I have a valid permit and I will obey all his commands. I have only had to do this once and the officer thanked me, but still gave me a ticket. Wether or not you are legally suppose to diclose this fact it is always a good idea to do so, no exceptions!! But yourself in the shoes of the LEO you may feel different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.