Got pulled over the other day

This is a discussion on Got pulled over the other day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; while driving through the subdivision. The LEO pulls out and follows me almost home and then lights me up 2 doors from my driveway. I ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over the other day

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

while driving through the subdivision. The LEO pulls out and follows me almost home and then lights me up 2 doors from my driveway. I hate when they do that. It's like they know and want your neighbors to watch. No, I wasn't speeding. Just had expired tags.

The LEO walks up to the door and asks for my license and insurance card. I get them out and add my CCDW license to the stack. He looks at me and asks if I am carrying and I reply "no I am on my way to work and can't carry there. If not I would be." He replies "you are the first person in a long time to present your CCDW... thanks". I told him that I thought it was the courteous thing to do.

So I get off with a warning.

Now I figure that he officer is just going to go back to the cruiser and run my info... find that I have a CCDW and ask me about it. Midas well get it out of the way and let him know who he is dealing with.

I do wonder what would have been the procedure if I was armed at the time.

So what is your take on this?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    If actually armed? Having declared your status, then probably ....... ''How would you like me to proceed?".

Many an LEO would suggest leave your piece where it is and get on with warning, citation, whatever. A few might choose to disarm you.

Whatever - the one thing you have made pretty clear is you are one of the good guys and I think often that counts for something. I tend to hope so.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    In my experience, LEOs usually just ask where it is and ask you to keep your hands where they can see them and everything proceeds normally. If he decides to make any requests of you, just do what he says and everything will be fine.

I did once have an LEO ask if I would give him my weapon for the safety of both of us. I told him that he was welcome to it, but that I would feel much more comfortable if he took it off of me rather than me holding a weapon with him there. He laughed and said he hadn't thought of it that way, and it would be fine to keep it on my person.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    P95Carry pretty much said what would happen. Personally, I appreciate when people tell me they're armed. I usually ask them for that ID too, of course, maybe run it.

I always ask people to keep their hands where I can see them, regardless. It's not worth the trouble &/or risk to disarm you, unless there's something else that might get my "hunch meter" going. I don't think I ever ticketed someone that had a CCW, but they didn't really give me a reason to do more than a warning.

The bottomline is, & I believe this is what anti-gunners don't understand, is that people who go through the trouble to legally own & carry firarms are generally law abiding citizens & are NOT the ones to regulate & harrass.

Before anyone goes off on what I wrote, I said, for the most part. Like LE, there are some bad ones.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I was en route to our branch office when I was pulled over. Since the company I work for has a "No Weapons" policy, I had my 1911 store away in the glove box. When the officer approached my window, I promptly handed him my DL and LCF. I informed the officer that I had my handgun in the glove box, on top of my insurance and registration. He told me to get the papers without touching the handgun. I verbally proclaim all my movements as I obtained the papers to help put the officer at ease.

Overall, I thought everything went smoothly.

I had a minor traffic accident over my winter break, and the police were called. After I informed the officer he told me to secure my weapon in my vehicle while he watched. I just locked it in the glove box.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I would have arrested you and thrown you in jail. You told us you were going home and you told the cop you were going to work. What you didn't tell us or the cop is that you were also wearing a clever disguise. Your under arrest dude!

VIP Member
    In Idaho, we are not required to disclose the fact that we have a legally concealed firearm. However, the one time I was stopped, I immediately disclosed it and told him that it was on my hip right next to my wallet that I needed to get for him. I told him I could give him my name and SSN and he could check that I had a CCW before we did anything else. He politely asked me to step out and expose my weapon and withdraw my wallet. Did not ask for my weapon or anything else, showed him my permit and handed him my license and he asked me to get back in the pickup and keep my hands on the steering wheel. Politely asked me to sign my ticket and sent me on my way.

He was very polite and professional. Treated me with much respect as I did him. No problems.

I believe disclosure as the best policy. Sure don't want any misunderstandings with folks with guns on their hips!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    I would have arrested you and thrown you in jail. You told us you were going home and you told the cop you were going to work. What you didn't tell us or the cop is that you were also wearing a clever disguise. Your under arrest dude!

HA HA! Busted. It's a good thing he didn't notice the bazooka in my backseat.

No I had dropped off my son at school and had to stop back by the house for a nap..... I mean to grab my sunglasses.

Good Catch!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I try to avoid misunderstandings with folks with guns, period!
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    It is really strange how different each state is with respect to CHL's. In Texas you are required to show your permit. I have to also say of the three times I have been pulled over in the last 8 years; each of the officers gave me a warning. Everyone of them asked me if I was carrying and when I said yes, not a single one asked me where it was. I just make it a habit of leaving my hands on the steering wheel.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Administrator
    I really dont have much to add after cockedlocked01's post, he covered the bases pretty well.

On your side note about why it he chose to stop you where he did; here is the likely reason- He was running your tag to verify it was expired, and taking a look to see if you had any criminal history. Its always nice to at least have an idea who may be driving before you stop the car. By the time he got all that, your in front of your house, or he was still waiting for the info, and decided to go ahead and stop you before you did pull into your driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I really dont have much to add after cockedlocked01's post, he covered the bases pretty well.

On your side note about why it he chose to stop you where he did; here is the likely reason- He was running your tag to verify it was expired, and taking a look to see if you had any criminal history. Its always nice to at least have an idea who may be driving before you stop the car. By the time he got all that, your in front of your house, or he was still waiting for the info, and decided to go ahead and stop you before you did pull into your driveway.
    Yea that's what I figured too. He has to run the computer and drive at the same time. Can't be easy.

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Yep! I sperenced the flashing lights one night myself. The state boys were looking for a meth-lab in my area and I was headed to work, they stopped me, everyone knows the routine, lic, ins, where you headed, etc. I didn't look at him, hands on wheel, looked ahead, told him I was armed, where it was, he asked what I was carring. I answered all his questions he said," OK, just don't touch it." I told him I didn't know of any good reason to touch it, as it appeared I had adequate Police protection. I looked at him and smiled, he smiled also and told me to drive carefully. I certainly believe a policeman should know you are legally carrying. It could keep you from being involved a really messy situation

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm gonna hijack it. I carry a full size 1911 at 3:30 - 4:00. My ID holder is in my right back pocket. If I should get pulled over, should I get my wallet out and in sight before he approaches, or should I wait, inform him where my wallet is and where my handgun is and ask him how to proceed? Which is the best way?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links