How many of you use point shooting?

This is a discussion on How many of you use point shooting? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you practice target point shooting? Do you use one handed stance in point shooting or two handed? Do you create a sight picture or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you use point shooting?

Do you practice target point shooting? Do you use one handed stance in point shooting or two handed? Do you create a sight picture or not?

I'm trying to learn better point shooting techniques right now, and I have to say it's a bit easier than I expected.

I use a two handed stance. I find if I simply draw naturally, I inevitably take a two handed stance. It's like a reflex.

I find my wrist tends to break up when I try to point shoot. I think it's because I haven't gotten to the point yet where I can instinctively "level" the gun.

Right now it looks like this: draw, level, point, shoot.

My next goal is to be able to do it like this: draw, point, shoot.

Ive been praticing them all for various uses

If you learn the "Modern Isoscoles" stance, point shooting marries with it and your sighted shooting extremely well.

One common misconception and one that I carried for many years is that point shooting is hip-shooting. Instead, most good point shooting is performed with the gun in the line between your eyes and the target. The eye's do help to index the gun but remain focused on the target and not on the front sight.

Michael Janich and Andy Stanford give an excellent primer in modern point shooting methods in their video Martial Marksmanship (Color, approx. 75 min. ISBN 1581603835, Price: $39.95, from Paladin Press).

Chuck
    Attached Images
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

I only use point shooting from position of retention. Usually two hand grip, close to the chest, ejection port slightly canted away from me, unless I have to use one hand (elbow?) to keep BG off me. With 2 hand grip, I find it much easier to pivot away (using whole body pivot point at the waist) from any grasping hands that might have designs on my gun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I point shoot regularly with both pistols and rifles. I'll ignore the rifle for the purposes of this discussion. :)

Sight picture? Nope. I just point and pull.
    Stance? Nope. Point and pull, and in practice, I make sure to do it from awkward and uncomfortable positions.
    Two hand? Nope. Too much time, and I could be better spending it drawing the BUG.

What I recommend for home training in a secured environment is making sure the weapon is unloaded (check twice if you're paranoid), and practice drawing or pointing at an object in the room or across the hall or whatnot. You can check your sight picture after the point if you'd like.

Do that for a while and regularly, and you'll learn by feel what your carry or other gun points at and how to adjust for it.

great reason to get an airsoft or a laser sighting device like either the Bullite device Bumper got or the BeamHit 190 I got.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

1952 - 2006
    At 7 to 10 yards I frequently use a point shooting technique that I developed for myself 25 years ago in the military. I don't use the sights, the gun is actually below my point of acquiring the front sight by about 6 inches. I think they call it reflexive shooting now. I also practice the "speed rock" which is drawing the gun from the holster and just clearing the muzzle then rock it onto target at the hip, that is only for shots inside 3 to 5 yards. I find that out to 7 to 10 yards I can be quite accurate with my technique. As stated earlier it's more focusing on the target than on your sights, it also keeps your peripheral vision more open to other threats.
    One other cheap trick I have used for point shooting is to put a wooden dowel into the muzzle (about 24" long) bring the gun onto a target on the wall, it will quickly give you an idea of where your stance or position will give you the best results.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Airsoft guns provide great opportunities for the initial training in point shooting. You don't need a fancy $100+ airsoft gun . . . a $20 model from WalMart can provide adequate realism and feedback for close range point shooting training.
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    I only point shoot from retention....speaking of which, do NOT speed rock. There are problems with it. To properly speed rock you shift your balance backwards, which, at the distances you would speed rock, makes it easy to get knocked over. Instead, keep your center of gravety where it is in normal fighting position, bring the gun out of the holster straight up to nipple line and rotate it forward, cant it slightly away from your body. Use your weak arm to defend your head (which also keeps it out of the way).

Lead Moderator
    I practice point shooting with my airsoft gun. Draw and fire or from behind my leg to raise and fire. Also practice from close body retention hold, firing from the waist level. Also practice a gun draw block/ sweep to my opponent , then fire.

DC Founder
    I really like point shooting and in the past have done quite well with it. The problem has been being able to practice it on the range. Places to just go out into the desert and practice (off range) have continually been drying up and the ranges don't allow you to draw and fire from the holster. I practice at home, usually in my office and bought the Bullite for that specific use. I can also see an airsoft in my future for practise.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    I did very well with point shooting, but after taking some serious training it's been all front sight. I was good before, i'm better now.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    First, if you are getting a sight picture you are not point shooting. Having said that, yes, I practice point shooting, I teach it to my students, and I recommend it as an essential skill. I prefer aimed fire whenever possible, but sometimes the situation just does not lend itself to that.

I start every range session with a mag of point shooting; the theory being a bad guy won't let you warm up. But the more I do it the more I'm picking up the front sight so it's beginning to evolve into a fast site picture double tap. It's not every time by any means but the mechanics are getting better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links