PA Out of State Permit/Reciprocity - Moving from NJ

This is a discussion on PA Out of State Permit/Reciprocity - Moving from NJ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be moving to Philadelphia, PA in August to attend medical school and would like to obtain a CCL. Unfortunately I'm from the state of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PA Out of State Permit/Reciprocity - Moving from NJ

PA Out of State Permit/Reciprocity - Moving from NJ

I'll be moving to Philadelphia, PA in August to attend medical school and would like to obtain a CCL. Unfortunately I'm from the state of New Jersey, where it is almost impossible to obtain a carry license. I got my Utah non-resident at the beginning of the year, but PA just ended their reciprocity so now its useless for me. I have a few questions about how to obtain the ability to carry a concealed firearm in PA:

1. Will PA give me a non-resident permit as a NJ resident if I don't have a NJ permit?

2. Are there any other states that PA has reciprocity agreements with that I could obtain a non-resident permit from?

3. What is the requirement for claiming residency in PA? I'll be living there for most of the year for at least the next 4 years.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

It looks like most of the non res issued states are out

me Sheriff’s require another form of ID along with Drivers License. Some have Residency
    Requirement periods up to 90 days. Some req
    uire References to be residents
    of the county yo
    u apply in.
    Some have put other stipulations on issuing Licenses to Carry. Check with your local Sheriff’s Office for
    more information.
    On Applications most Sheriffs have their own header giving the office and address
    . C
    heck
    with your local Sheriff or chec
    k online to obtain the form supplied by your county Sherif

"www.handgunlaw.us
    Carry a Concealed Weapon. Fill out the application and
    pay the fee
    PA Code PA Code
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6109
    states the total for all costs is to be $20.
    The Sheriff has 45 days to issue the perm
    it/license or deny it.
    Your Permit/License is valid for 5 years.
    Note:
    Some Sheriff’s require another form of ID along with Drivers License. Some have Residency
    Requirement periods up to 90 days. Some req
    uire References to be residents
    of the county yo
    u apply in.
    Some have put other stipulations on issuing Licenses to Carry. Check with your local Sheriff’s Office for
    more information.
    On Applications most Sheriffs have their own header giving the office and address
    . C
    heck
    with your local Sheriff or chec
    k online to obtain the form supplied by your county Sheriff.
    Non
    -
    Resident Permits
    It is simple to get a PA Non
    -
    Resident Permit/License.
    Starting 3/31/11 PA will no longer issue by mail. You
    have
    to make a trip to PA to apply. If they do not issue it to you in your short visit t
    hey will mail you the
    permit/license when it is approved.
    Completed and Signed Application must be accompanied by the following:
    A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that
    state has a concealed carry law.
    If from IL you should bring your FOID Car
    d.
    A photo copy of your Driver's License.
    Names
    , Addresses and Phone #’s of 2 references.
    $20
    to $24.00
    fee for five year license and out of state processing
    Note:
    You have to have a per
    mit from your home state if your home state
    issue pe
    rmits. Unless you are
    from
    DC or
    Vermont
    you have to have a permit from your home state. If your state is to
    o
    restrictive and
    won’t issue you a permit you can not obtain a Non
    -
    Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License.
    Some Sheriff’s
    will not issue to non resid
    ents and/or have other stipulations to issue to non
    -
    residents. Check with the
    Sheriff’s Dept before you appear to apply"

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Me perosnal I would just move there and be done with it ...

NJ is going even futhur down the tubes ( no offensive ) for gun laws .. Now trying to ban the legal 15 round mags even tube feed and have no grandfathering .. Heck CA grandfather them in thats how bad NJ is with this stuff

I think it would be nice to be able to own a folding stock gun that is called a AR15 and normal cap mags dont you ?

Or how about being able to own any AK you want and not have the gun store call you and say bring it back that gun i illgle .. This has happened in NJ

I know you probley got a life and family there but that taste of freddom may be a little much
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Since you have the Utah CHL you could get a New Hampshire non-resident CHL which is good in Pa. The cost is $100 I believe but shouldn't be hard for you to get. Like Pa you are basically passing a background check.

If you became a Pa resident it would of course be cheaper to get theirs. I think mine, (non-resident) cost about $25 got mine by mail through Centre County, but now you have to go in person.

I've got a Utah non-resident CHL too. It is much better than Illinois, 34 states it gets you now I believe. I just renewed mine, $15 for 5 years to renew.

You are in the position that I was before this year, a state hundreds of miles away trusts you more than the state you live in!

BTW, You have to have another states CHL to get New Hampshire, but it doesn't have to be your home state.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Me perosnal I would just move there and be done with it ...

NJ is going even futhur down the tubes ( no offensive ) for gun laws .. Now trying to ban the legal 15 round mags even tube feed and have no grandfathering .. Heck CA grandfather them in thats how bad NJ is with this stuff

I think it would be nice to be able to own a folding stock gun that is called a AR15 and normal cap mags dont you ?

Or how about being able to own any AK you want and not have the gun store call you and say bring it back that gun i illgle .. This has happened in NJ

I know you probley got a life and family there but that taste of freddom may be a little much

I agree....move across the bridge and don't come back......there's nothin' here for ya.

I would recommend getting a PA license and then getting a LTCF. Just note that Philly is more of a may issue rather than a shall issue area. I live about an hour west of Philly in Berks County and it took me about 15 mins to get the license. I had my PA drivers license for less than 2 weeks.
    Mike1956 and Badey like this.
    "Glocks are the iPhone of the gun world. Good at what they do, but everyone's got one. Be different, get the the Android of the gun world, an XDM."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebob View Post
    Since you have the Utah CHL you could get a New Hampshire non-resident CHL which is good in Pa. The cost is $100 I believe but shouldn't be hard for you to get. Like Pa you are basically passing a background check.

If you became a Pa resident it would of course be cheaper to get theirs. I think mine, (non-resident) cost about $25 got mine by mail through Centre County, but now you have to go in person.

I've got a Utah non-resident CHL too. It is much better than Illinois, 34 states it gets you now I believe. I just renewed mine, $15 for 5 years to renew.

You are in the position that I was before this year, a state hundreds of miles away trusts you more than the state you live in!

BTW, You have to have another states CHL to get New Hampshire, but it doesn't have to be your home state.
    New Hampshire requires a license from one's state of residence, as well.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

are you going to be living is Philly proper, or in an outlying suburb?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Your best bet is going to establish PA residency and then get your permit.
    WrongRecroom and Pro like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AWar77 View Post
    I'll be moving to Philadelphia, PA in August to attend medical school and would like to obtain a CCL. Unfortunately I'm from the state of New Jersey, where it is almost impossible to obtain a carry license. I got my Utah non-resident at the beginning of the year, but PA just ended their reciprocity so now its useless for me. I have a few questions about how to obtain the ability to carry a concealed firearm in PA:

1. Will PA give me a non-resident permit as a NJ resident if I don't have a NJ permit?

No. And Jersey won't give you a carry permit.

2. Are there any other states that PA has reciprocity agreements with that I could obtain a non-resident permit from?

Don't think PA recognizes anyone elses non resident permit as was researching this with a friend who also lives in NJ and was using Utah or Fl in PA previously. But call the PA attorney generals office. My friend called and got the impression that the agreement with Utah might be reinstated at some point.

3. What is the requirement for claiming residency in PA? I'll be living there for most of the year for at least the next 4 years.

Can't answer that. "Might" be the same basis you use for residency on where to file taxes.

Leave NJ and don't look back.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    As does FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As does FL.

When did they change that? I didn't need my home state permit to get my Florida.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AWar77 View Post

1. No

2. Texas. You must take the training in TX.

3. Check with PA.

Call or email Centre County Sheriffs Office and inquire very pro gun and super nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Well this is embarrassing, I mention handgunlaw.us where I found that Pa excepted their CHL, but it seems to say you are right that you need your states CHL. Now I'm wondering has this requirement come about recently? About 5 years ago when I got my Pa non-resident CHL some Illinois folks were getting their Pa non-resident CHL and then getting New Hampshire. They said New Hampshire required you have another states CHL before they'd issue. Illinois only started issuing this year. Or was it they required you have your states CHL but only if they issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links