No CPL till Febuary now

No CPL till Febuary now

This is a discussion on No CPL till Febuary now within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm more than a little grumpy at this point. I know I shouldn't complain, as I hear of people waiting so long and such to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No CPL till Febuary now

I'm more than a little grumpy at this point. I know I shouldn't complain, as I hear of people waiting so long and such to get theirs.. Gun board meeting was supposed to be today, so I called up the county clerks and to ask if I was approved so I could pick it up. They reply "Oh, the meeting was cancelled this month, the next ones on febuary 14th" So another month unarmed I go..

Never heard of such as thing. A "Gun Board" has to approve your CHL? Never heard of it. In Missouri the Sheriff of the county you live in approves or denies you a CHL and has a maximum of 45 day's do do it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

This is taken directly from RI-012('concealed pistol license information).

"Each county shall have a gun board consisting of the sheriff or his/her designee, the director of the state police or his/her designee, and the prosecuting attorney or his/her designee. The prosecutor may opt out, and the county board of commissioners will appoint a replacement. The replacement must be a certifified firearm instructor. Certification must be by the state or national firearms program.

The board shall either issue or deny the license within 45 days after the board receives the fingerprint comparison report.

The board shall not issue a license if they determine that issuing the license would be detrimental to the safety of the applicant or any other individual. This determination shall be based on clear and convincing evidence of civil infractions, crimes, personal protection order(s) or injunctions, police reports or other evidence, or the applicant's statements that bear directly on the applicants's abiblity to carry a concealed pistol."

Actually, after reading this I wonder if it is even LEGAL for them to make me wait till next month for the boards approval..

Assistant Administrator
    That plain sucks

Beaurocrapic crat - or is that beaurocratic crap?

Nope - got it right first time!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    The board shall either issue or deny the license within 45 days after the board receives the fingerprint comparison report.
    Any idea when the board got the fingerprint report?

Having been a Michigander for some years before heading to Minnesota, I recall the infamous "Gun Board" process there.

Before shall issue reform, they yielded a great deal of power. There were three members, one each representing the Michigan State Police, County Sheriff and Prosecutor's office. The Michigan State Police representative was instructed from headquarters to always vote "No". That meant that to prevail, an applicant had to win the vote of both the Sheriff and Prosecutor.

That meant sweet campaign contributions. In the county I lived in, there were about 90-100 permits total, and the "going rate" as I heard was about $1,000 laid out as a campaign contribution, or securing the candidate support by groups. It was like living in a third world country where "bribery" was the rule.

Even though shall issue is in place in Michigan, the gun board remains as the final authority on whether or not the permit is issued. In defense of the body, it is a time when the applicant can be evaluated face-to-face, but still smacks as a carryover from some bad days gone by....

Prior to shall issue in Michigan, which came in about 2000, out of 83 counties I recall that there were 3-4 (Macomb, Huron and I think 1-2 in the Upper Peninsula) that conducted themselves much as a shall issue entity. The rest pretty much denied all applicants except the "favored few".

It was a sordid history there, and one where gun owners benefited greatly from reform lead by an organization called MCRGO (Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners). Thanks MCRGO....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Any idea when the board got the fingerprint report?
    Well, according to the counties' reported statistics the longest wait for fingerprint report was 22 days. I was printed on december 4th. So even if it took the full 22 days, febuary 14th still puts it over 45 days. But then I just KNOW they will try and say that the fingerprint report wasn't shown to the gun board, till the meeting.. Yes, the gun board is a crock.

Yeah, and piss them off by complaining and see how easy that fingerprint report can get misplaced!! Maybe it's a month to send the Sheriff and others some doughnuts from you, lol!!!
    IMHO, the board idea is a joke.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Wow

I guess it sucks to be you. I also live in Michigan and it only took me 12 days to get my permit. Unless you are a really bad person your fingerprint report should not take more than 2 weeks. I would call that clerk and ask why the meeting was canceled.

Where in michigan?

Lead Moderator
    That stinks. Time to look at electing a new local government!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I Would Suggest 'Polite' Verbal Restraint...

as fingerprint cards can suddenly disappear...

It's a lousy situation , but you have no choice...stay positive...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can call the Michigan State Police CCW unit at 517-322-1956, and they will tell you when your prints cleared. If you were scanned for prints, they probably cleared in a couple of hours. Ink prints take a little longer, a couple of weeks at the outside.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Smooth - What county are you in? I'm in Oakland and my wait from app to permit in my mailbox was 16 days, including 2 weekends. I hate how non-uniform it is, although the federalist in my doesn't mind the local approval part of it, if we're going to have an approval process at all.

In any case, happy early Valentine's day!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Prior to shall issue in Michigan, which came in about 2000, out of 83 counties I recall that there were 3-4 (Macomb, Huron and I think 1-2 in the Upper Peninsula) that conducted themselves much as a shall issue entity.
    From what the local cops tell me Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw, Ontanogan(sp), and Iron Counties were pretty much shall issue pre-2001. From figures off the top of their heads, they stated less than 50 denials total from those counties since the state required a permit, in 1927. Most of the western UP. There were very few denials. Different country up here. My sheriff (Keweenaw County) doesn't believe they should require a permit to carry a pistol concealed.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Supertac, where are you in the UP?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links